3 comments

Mystery

Today was the day i died. Let me start at the beginning, it was just like any other day, my car was still in the shop, bills were piling up; so i had to borrow my husband's car. I just went to the store to buy bread ... Bread , just bread. My phone starts ringing im aready stressed to the tits, i pick up " yes mom i will be there for dads birthday on Saturday. Bit i got to go." i hang up and start my engine.

On my way i just think to myself as see a person walk by , i wonder what their problems are like , i wonder if its easy , i wonder if its hard. Oh look a dog such an easy life. It must of caught me off guard because i didn't see that red light SCREECH!!!!!

" is she okay?" ... but they werent talking to me.

all i could see is the top of the steering wheel , so disoriented, i must of flipped the car , i can see a blur of a figure coming towards me and faints of scream s maybe yell i n.. and that was it.

I woke up handcuffed in an ambulance, still confused, why am i handcuffed.. " Why AM I HANDCUFFED?!"

" Mam, we need to ask you a few questions, of what we found in your car and about the victem you hit."

" It was an accident, i didn't know i hit someone, are they okay? " panicked i quickly demanded for my lawyer before anything was coming from my lips.

"You seem to be injured as much as i should be, you lucky woman" the paramedic reassured tho gave me a glance of pity as if he knew something i was nieve to the fact of " you take her now"

"What IS GOING ON?!" I SREAMING PANIC" i got into a car accident i shouldn't be arrested for this!

" Mam we got to take down to the station, please step into the vehicle you are under arrest You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in court. You have the right to talk to a lawyer for advice before we ask you any questions. You have the right to have a lawyer with you during questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. If you decide to answer questions now without a lawyer present, you have the right to stop answering at any time."

" Hi My name is Julia Rogers, I am your court appointed lawyer and i will be assisting you with your case, now its not looking good what they found in your car was the missing murder weopon from a cold case file 5 years ago, and the person you hit was the victem's child both under witness protection. I believe your innocent, though the police have been on your husba6for years and now thing think your collaborating with him so the judge wants to give you a deal."

" I dont believe it , I just dont , he's a good man , we have a child together.. it wasnt even my car its his car, his name his everything...Oh my goodness VANESSA WHATS GONNA HAPPEN TO VANESSA?!"

"Right now, we have no evidence against your husband, the weapon was found on you, the car was switched into your name about a year ago is what we have on record here. The ownership is in your name."

"Time is us you will be going into processing and then sent to Hallowberrys Prison till your first hearing."

My life is flashing before my eyes right now, I have know idea what has been befolding behind my back my entire married life and bow to think that who is watching my only child may or may not have set me up for a murder im completely oblivious about!

'You have a Visitor'

oh thank goodness, it must be my husband, to explain this mess to me.

"Hi my name is Detective Sombers, we cant seem to find your husband, you know where he might be?"

"Wheres Vanessa!?"

"Your husband's parents have her , his father is here and wants to speak to you, would you like to talk to him?"

"Yes , but i want my lawyer present." nervously i sat and that chair not knowing why he was here, awaiting for my lawyer to show up.

"The father requested to speak to alone, but your lawyer and I will be just behind this glass and will be watching ylu the entire time your lawyer says not to anything. Is that fine?"

" Okay , I will speak to him."

Here alone im sitting, the door opens the man sits in front of me just looking and finally he speaks.

" Son, what have you done?"

I say nothing but i can see the tears coming from his eyes his hands are shaking with disappointment.

" Son, speak to ypur father what have you done?"

meanwhile in the other room the Detective is flabbergasted in the recent event of evidence that has just befolded over the table , the lawyers jaw dropped " oh my gosh i have to go in there .." Detective halts her to wait.

"Dad , Im sorry.." tears just dropping my eyes i couldn't hold it in anymore " This is me, this is who i am now , they couldn't accept it! They ridiculed me ! Tormented me!"

" But did you have to kill them"

...I thought to myself no i didn't i was mad then i was hurt i was mad and hurt , i was mad at myself that i couldn't accept myself, that the world couldn't accept me.

" Im sorry Dad."

" Son Where laura , wheres your wife?"

... " shes gone"

" where Son, where did she go? your whearing her clothes, driving her car, where did she go?"

i started to hyperventilate, the guilt inside me started to eat its way out she deserve to die either.. " the backyard dad."

he gets, I dont knkw what he was about to do but he just starts crying and what felt like tge " im never going to see you again hug" iv ever felt before screaming " you should of came home son" over and over again " we love you"!

i fell to the ground , it happened so fast the cops came to put the handcuffs back on me.

Im talking to my lawyer on the chance of them declaring me insane , and they want me to go to a federal mens prison 25 years life she told me it was premeditated and i killed a child, they are going to kill me as quick as i get in there.

Even if I did change, Even I tried fix what was wrong

I thought I was better but im not, i thought this world was better but its not...

So I asked for this pen and paper to write my story ..."Patrick, were ready for you."

"Im coming."

By Jacqueline Wyldes

July 24, 2020 14:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jessie Nice
15:15 Aug 01, 2020

Good story, I like how you announced at the beginning the final result and the action-filled plot line played out from there! I just would like to mention that there are quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes - if you have spell-check or somebody to proof-read it may be a useful tool for you! I hope you don't mind me mentioning that I just think it would help your story flow a little more :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Manu Naik
01:59 Jul 29, 2020

The story started getting interesting right after the first scene..Loved it

Reply

DJ Clair Wy
19:17 Jul 29, 2020

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.