0 comments

Fiction Happy


There I was waiting for my 8:00 clock coffee and she was late again. who you ask, my always late assistant and I hated people who are not on time, who don’t value time, my time!. And I am very punctual type of person.my every move is measured; every word is revised that is why I am where I am today. Let’s say I am very disciplined person. I am always like this I was raised this way my father was the same. My mother is still a mystery to me! she died soon after I was born my father says she was like a ray of light in his life. She always brought the free and lifted side of my father, after she died my father said something inside him died with her that day. He couldn’t love anyone again; I don’t blame him if you love someone that way it tends to happen. And hence he become very strict with me and everybody else around the house.

   And I admire him, he was strict and that is the reason I am what I am today he taught me many things about business, about life, and I am always grateful to him. I wan to be very successful and make him proud. Talking about my mother so yeah, I do miss her, my grandma use to talk a lot about her and I was just happy know about her. Suddenly I heard the click-clack down the corridor of the heels and bringing me back to the reality from my thoughts. There she was with my half hour late coffee maybe she wants to make this day the last day of my assistant because she looked like hell. Wearing the same old dress, she wore yesterday, what the hell was she thinking walking like that in my office. I picked my phone and dialed marri’s number; she was my dad’s assistant. She has been with us for like ages and she was very good at her work and I always wanted someone like her to be my assistant but what I got is this stupid mess standing right Infront of me with messy hair ruined makeup and a with a coffee in her hand which looked somewhat spilled the container has the half coffee on it. As I was calling marri, she picked up in first ring “yes, Mr. Steller how can I help you?” “hello marri, can you tell miss alter to pack her stuff up get the hell out of my office I won’t be needing her anymore. Thank you”. The face Infront of me turned angry and stormed out of my office and shut the door too hard well that’s what you get when you show up at your boss’s office looking like that and being so very late. nobody is going to tolerate that and somebody like me, hah no chance.

***

     It was 10:00pm already, I never worked after 6:00pm but thanks to my assistant now I have to do all the work. But it’s last time, tomorrow there will be a new assistant and I would be able to return to my routine. My routine didn’t consist of much, I wake up at 5:00am everyday after a small jog and yoga. I get ready for office and prepare my own breakfast as I live alone and don’t have any servants to cook, I like to do my own chores after getting ready for office I arrive at 8:00am sharp and I need my morning coffee waiting for me on my table before I enter my office and then the rest of the day’s activity and meetings and work goes on. I finish my work at sharp 6:00pm and leave for the gym after a 1hr workout and I head home and after a quick dinner and some office work, I go to sleep at 10:00pm. And hence the rest continues. It’s simple and systematic and I like it.

     The next morning as I arrived at the office and my new assistant was waiting for me with the coffee in his hand. Marri must have given him instructions and I was thankful to her for saving my time. As I approached, he handed me my coffee and followed me into my office as I sat on my chair, he began to tell me todays schedule, there was nothing much to do today just two meeting and the charity event which my fathers sponsored in my mother’s memories. My mother started the charity and it was for the orphaned kids for their studies and living expenses. My mother named it sunshine. And worked there as she was a orphaned too. I attended every event my mother’s foundation it made me feel close to her. As the time passed and it was the time for the event, I wrapped up my work and headed for the event.

      Everything was decorated beautifully, my mother’s picture stand there with flowers around it. she looked beautiful and so happy it was my favorite picture of her. My father was standing near the picture talking to some people as he so me he motioned me to join him and I did. The event was going smoothly there were kids playing everywhere laughing, cheerful just like my mother was then I felt a tug on my pants. As I looked down there was this small little girl with curly hair beautiful complexion and she was wearing a cute dress “she can you please help me? My balloon has flown away and got stuck on a tree, can you help me get it please!?” she was talking so cutely and pointing at a tree that I couldn’t help but smiled and nodded as I did she pulled me by my hand towards the tree her balloon got stuck but it was way to high and out of reach I looked down at her and said “ sorry dear but the balloon is way to high and I can’t reach it” her face fell and she said “ it’s ok and thanks for the help sir” and as she started walking away “ wait, how about I get you another one” she turned and smiled at me it felt different it felt like something glowed inside me the girl has the most beautiful smile. Why would anyone abandoned this beautiful angel. How can anyone do that. People are weird I tell you.

There she was giving me the biggest smile as I gave her a whole lot of balloon exception for her one stuck balloon. And I felt different like I have never felt like this before. As she played with her balloons, I asked her “what’s your name miss?” “she smiled and said “Angel”. Wow really her name suited her right, “do you want to know why my name is Angel!” I smiled and nodded “because I came here at charismas day and when Miss Parker saw me, she thought I was an Angel and then she named me Angel” really, she was abandoned on the charismas how can anyone do that she might have been just a baby.

***

   She then said thanks to me for the balloons and ran to her friends. And as I was watching she sheared her every single balloon with her friends and kept only one for herself. This child was really kind and now I felt pity and angry at the same time, not for her but for her parents it was there lose that they abandoned such pure soul. My father called me and we started discussing some business and then it was time to head home as I was leaving, I thought of meeting angel one last time before leaving, but Miss Parker the maiden here said that all the kids have gone to bed it was already 9:00pm and it was their bed time. I felt a bit disappointed but admired miss Parker as she was a discipline loving lady and I respected that.

        After that night, I gave frequent visits to my mother’s charity home and met with Angel. She was this kind and happy child and I was enjoying her company, she would invite me to her tea parties and make me play hide and seek with her it was a whole new experience for me. I never ever changed my schedule for anybody but Angel, I would do that for that child. Whenever I was free or not doing anything, I would go and meet Angel and play with her. And she would tell me about her day her favorite toys her friends. And she introduced me to her friends as her friend and nobody is allowed to be my friend expect her she was quite possessive of me.

One day, my father called me at his house and asked me what is going on with my life, as I was never like this never this, neglectful towards anything in the office or my personal life. There was a meeting this Friday which I cancelled, because it was Angel’s birthday and I wanted to spend my day with her celebrating with her showering her with gifts and making her smile it was the best day of my life. And Angel was very happy

***

But father was very disappointed and angry at me. then I told him that I want to adopted a child from mom’s charity house he was shocked and said “are you sure about what you are talking? Adopting a child is not easy and why would you do that to your life?, you are not even married yet and as far as I know you are not even seeing anyone why would you want to do that?” and I said “ I am very serious father, this child is really something and I really want to give this child a home and love that she deserve and I am capable of doing that I don’t need a partner to be a father to a child” “please trust me I am doing the right thing” he said nothing and just walked off to his room and I decided this was something I really wanted to do. I really wanted to give angel the love she deserved and I wanted to be father she loved and be frank to I won’t treat her the way my father did. I would never be strict father to her but gentle and loving parent. But would scold her if needed she must understand discipline too.

The moment I met that child I knew she had changed me somehow my usual routine was not fun anymore until I met angel and talked with her, I skipped my most plans just to play with her and help her in her homework. When I was with her I felt something, I felt hope and whenever I was stressed about something with work her one smile would erase my tension and make me forget all my worries. She was my sunshine, who gave me hope and strength and I would always make her the first priority of my life till the day I die.

April 30, 2021 14:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.