My lady luck (A miraculous horror story of a common man)

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: Set your story in a countryside house that’s filled with shadows.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Drama Horror

“Appreciable Neil, you have got a good philosophical attitude, you will go ahead in life; no doubt. You may have to struggle a lot, but there’s a unique path waiting for you.” This sounds encouraging, isn’t it?

These were the words from the Father of our College at the age of 18 years for me.

Even I could not imagine how fast those days of my life flew away. Today is my birthday and I have completed 32 years of my eternal life journey. As usual my elder sister Kim has prepared a variety of delicious dishes for me which she does for my every year birthday.

I lost my mother at the age of 6 years; who was bed-retarded over years ago as she suffered from cardiac disorders.

After her, Kim took over her place for rest of our life and stood as a symbol of our mother. Both me and Kait (my younger sister) have a deep respect for her as she undertook the whole responsibility of our family after our mother passed away.

At my age of 19 years, our father passed leaving the responsibility of entire family on me. He had his small electro mechanic shop adjoining to our house, which contributed to our family income. He was not able to afford education for all three of us at that time. So, being the only son, he could only manage to educate me till I completed by STD XII. Both my sisters are not educated. As our father could not afford educational expenses of further studies, he advised me to join his shop and support our family.

This shocked me at that moment of life, as if I felt my passion was torn off into pieces and blown in air. It was very disappointing for me to hear from him about quitting my higher studies. I insisted him that I want to do a painting course, as many of my teachers have advised me to start my career in painting. But he denied and persuaded me saying, that they charge high fees and it is very difficult for an artist to survive with this competitive world; but if you know the work of an electro-mechanic, then you can survive and get good returns for rest of your life.

He said, “I don’t know how long I can manage to take care of you three. Since you are only son, you have responsibilities of both girls too. Don’t forget it. So you can learn from me and develop yourself in this task.”

In a confused state of mind with lack of interest, I undertook this new mission of electro-mechanic, which was against my passion. After 2 years, our father left us. During his last breath of life, I promised him to take care of both my sisters life-long as wished by him.

Initially, after him, it was too difficult for me to sustain as he was always there to clarify my work –related queries. Then gradually, I learned myself as I went on sorting all my doubts by myself. It took time and was not easy, but slowly I picked up the task and over a period of time, the customer volume increased at our shop. Then it became difficult for me to conduct this shop any more as our home was quite small and shop was adjoining it. I learnt both my sisters were not comfortable and lost their privacy. Therefore, I decide to hire a small shop somewhere nearby home.

I visited many shops premises but rented prices were too high to afford in comparison to my gains. So I lost my hope for hiring a shop and that day on my way back to home, I co-incidentally met my college mate Alex, got to know from him that he is settled at Texas with his family. And he has come for a short trip to meet his aged parents and will be leaving back in a week’s time. After discussing about himself, he eagerly asked me, “My dear artist, you didn’t said anything about your life. I hope by now you may have grown high in your passion.”

Silence surrounded us a while, as I was unaware on what shall be said to him. As he knew me quite well since my childhood, he insisted and I could not take it anymore, therefore I had to burst out every incident in my life till then.

Further on listening me, he said, “I have a friend here, his father had a small house nearby this countryside which you can convert as your shop. After they re-located to some other place, they closed it till then. Let’s check with them, if it’s not been sold out, then it may help you.”

So, we left in his jeep to Alex’s friend’s home. Then things worked out at our place, as we got to know the place was still available and not sold. We negotiated with them for affordable rent. Even though, it was too far away from where I stayed, I decided to manage my travelling part.

Alex left after dropping me in front of my house. I saw Kim waiting for me at the door.

“Neil, any hope...” She said in anxiety.

I replied, “Yes finally.”

She in a worrying sound, “Alex, will you be able to make it son, as there are tones of difficulties.”

I replied cool, “Yes, things will work for us. Do you doubt me or my efforts?”

She said, “No, I didn’t mean it.”

Then I said, “Shall we take lunch. I am hungry.”

Kim smiled and went ahead to serve the food.

Within next 2 days, I arranged to shift all the tools and equipments to newly taken shop.

Last day evening, I gave final touch to my new shop as from next day onwards; I am to continue the mission held by my father.

On my way back to home I hired a cab. During our conversation about the place, the cab driver asked me, “Sir, do you know the shocking truth behind this house you have hired for shop.”

On hearing him, I asked, “Which secret, what’s it?”

He said silently, “Please don’t say anyone I have said you about it. This house is haunted by a female spirit over years and people whoever hires this place, quits within next few days, due to her terrific shadows and troubles caused to them. So, beware of it, take care.”

I controlled my laugh and said, “Are you crazy? How could you think such foolish things nowadays?”

He said in anger, “Wait and watch then.”

By then we reached the street near my house, he dropped me there and I paid his fare. I found Kim waiting me at the doors as usual.

I said her, “Quite tired, would bathe first and then dine.”

She went ahead to arrange the plates for serving meals.

After having dinner, I went to sleep early as I need to hurry next day for shop.

Next day:

It was an early morning of pleasure, with chirping birds, lovely breeze around.

After my daily routine and prayers, I left for work.

After travelling 2Kms, I reached my shop, when I tried opening the shutters, to my surprise I found the lock was opened. As far I recollected, last night I have tightened locks well and re-checked it too. Then I went in and saw everything in its place in the same sequence as it was kept by me. Then I convinced myself, might be I must have not pressed the lock well.

Without thinking much, I carried on my task.

To my surprise, I did not see a single human in that place.

During afternoon hours, before having lunch, I went out to view nearby environment, but again shocked there was none around. Then, I saw after these 2 shops, there was a small café shop.

A thought came to develop a friendly relation to someone near and I stood in front of that cafe, after waiting for half an hour, none can be seen, neither in, nor around. I left back to have my lunch.

Then I returned back to my shop, at that moment, I felt myself been pressurized by a strong wind in such a forceful manner, as if it wanted me to be out of that place. The shutters started shaking with a loud noise. After that, the breeze slowed down, still anyhow I got in. Perhaps, I thought, ‘it may rain heavily today.

Again surprising out, I found my Tiffin’s been kept opened and empty. Then I searched water bottle for having water again which I found empty. I thought, may be Kim must have forgotten it.

I murmured to myself, “empty stomach, empty day… first day.”

Then, I could hear same words of mine were followed repetitive times by a female voice.

I wondered, if I am hallucinating and listened again sharping ears, it was the same words by me and the female voice repeated it again. I ignored it; might be I was tired of travelling and hungry stomach.

I finished all my pending tasks; nothing new came to me. Then I convinced myself may be being my first day here and people shall come to know about my shop later after few days, and then I may get new tasks.

After the day’s wait, it was the time to go back to home.

Few days passed out similarly, still no one turned to my shop. Even my old customers left me as this place was quite far. That discouraged me.

A month passed, but there was no deal. I was disheartened as it became very difficult to manage daily house stuff. Later for saving money, I started walking from home to shop and return back too. While, Kim managed our house well, even though I had no gains from my business. She asked me to quit that place and start my work from home as earlier I did.

Next day, I went to meet Mr. Wilson Ney, the house owner’s brother, with whom I had the lease agreement for this place. I informed him about my difficulties and insisted to back out from this lease agreement.

He calmed me down and said, “It’s already discussed with my elder brother Richards and he said you can keep going without rent.”

I replied (in shy), “No sir, that’s not right, how can I?”

He insisted, “Why Neil, what’s the issue? Some Crookes must have told you all the weird stories about this place, which lacks truth. As far, I know you and the desire in you to struggle ahead for growth in life. I see your hardships for family and quite sure one day you will overcome all these messy life. If you don’t want to go ahead in life, then it’s your wish. I expect you to prove yourself to those spreading rumors about it.”

I stood silent, without uttering a single word to him.

Further he continued, “Son please don’t pay us anything, just stay there and prove that all ghost stories are fake.”

He asked me in hope, “Will you?”

I felt no alternative left, so I replied him, “Yes I will carry on.”

Then I left home, where my sisters were eagerly waiting for me. Anyhow I convinced them, saying maybe it’s a new place, slowly we might get deals.

Again next day onwards back to pavilion. As usual, I found the locks opened, with empty tiffins and water bottle, abnormal echo sounds, blur terrific shadows, etc.

I bothered none of them.

On one afternoon, I was quite thirsty and hungry, so I went to same café which I visited during my first day to this place. But this time, I saw an old man there and ordered him coffee milk shake. He gave me quick service with a pleasant smile on his face.

While I was taking a sip of it, I saw its color turned to blood which shocked me, I threw it and looked for that man, but he was invisible and again I found none there.

I shouted loudly, “Hello, where are you?”

But there was no reply. I ran to my shop, badly sweated like never before in my life.

Anyhow I relaxed myself to act as calm and bold, with Mr. Wilson Ney’s encouraging words.

It was time to leave back for home, so, I moved towards the shutter for closing it. Before I moved out, the shutter got tightly closed itself and I was stuck inside. I pushed with damp pressure to open it, but it didn’t. I was quite afraid, as lights turned off, with darkness, terrific shadows, and scary sounds surrounded me.

I managed to raise my voice, “Who’s it? What you want?”

Silence a while and later a whispering sound, “Pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh….

Then I a female shadow was visible on wall.

I called up, “Who are you? What you want?

No answer.

I called up again, “What you want and why you are troubling me?”

No answer.

I said further, “Let me get out.”

The female on other side was moving towards me, which was clearly seen, her face was invisible, due to darkness. I was uncourageous to face her; I moved back as far as possible, till I touched the wall backside me. That female came towards me, as she neared me; I shivered as never before.

She reached me and stopped, and then she began, “Myself Merlin, this place once belonged to my father, and I won’t let anyone here.” Then she disappeared.

I searched for her again, but she was not visible. I took a sigh of relief and ran towards the shutter, then headed to home as fast as I could.

It was too late and I went walking; none of the cabs were visible. At that moment, I felt her footsteps followed me. Then, in between when I stopped to confirm, she also did it. I hurried in and finally reached, and saw Kim waiting for me at doors.

I was sweating badly. Kim looked worried when she saw me, “What happened Neil? Are you okay?”

I replied, “Yeah” and silently moved on to get fresh.

After finishing dinner, quickly I went to sleep without uttering a word of fear, as didn’t want to bother both my sisters.

I was fast asleep. At around midnight 2’o clock, again the scary noises as in shop awakened me, the same female shadow again stood in front of me. I could see her scary face, shattered hairs. Then, I immediately switched on the lights, as I could not tolerate her terrific structure anymore I shouted in fear. This awakened both my sisters; they came out to me.

Kim asked, “Are you okay dear? I think you had a night mare.”

After hearing her voice, I got courage and slowly opened my eyes, then had a glass of water. I tried hard to sleep the whole night, but it kept me awakened thinking about the next day.

Next day when I was about to move to the shop, Kim came towards me, “Something is troubling you dear, I know that. We don’t want that shop. Let us live with what we have.”

I replied thinking a while as I didn’t want to bother her, I calmed her saying, “I am fine, no worries.”

Then I left for the shop.

While I crossed half the way, the night mare again followed me, “Hello….Neil.”

I had no courage to look at her face again. I kept silent.

Then she said, “How are you doing?”

I kept my tongue tied; again she went on, “Sorry to bother you this way. I saw you working hard for your family and still you are not able to reach anywhere. Can we be friends?”

I had no guts to see her again, but still her words comforted me. Then slowly I tried turning up my face to see her, to my surprise, this time, I saw a beautiful lady may be somewhat around my age in front of me, with round fair face, dimple cheeks, glowing smile, long brownish straight hairs blowing in the wind. The beauty and voice which I have never seen or heard before, which took me to some other wonder world. Then slowly, I moved towards her my hand of friendship as asked by her.

She smiled, “I guess we can be good friends.”

Even though I was scared of her, I said slowly, “Yes.”

From that day onwards, we became good friends. I shared my whole day with her in the shop and when it was time to leave for home, always tears rolled her eyes. By now I shared my each and every matter to her. All my fear vanished away and the crazy love dipped in me. Days passed and we became very close to each other.

She gave me ideas to develop my passion of paintings. On one side, I got new customers, my business volume increased from zero to height. I don’t know how this happened.

And on other side, I became a good paint artist. Over few months I gained a good income from my paintings.

I renovated the shop on one part with electro mechanic goods and on another part which displayed my varieties of paintings for sale. I believe this was not possible without her in my life.

By now, Kim and Kait got married and settled in their own lives. I was left alone. But I never felt loneliness in my life, as Merlin was around me.

Both my sisters and their family members wanted me to get married.

Whenever they came to me for any alliance, I always nodded them.

Because I had found my true love in the form of Merlin for this whole life, My lady luck ….shall remain within me forever!

*****The End****

May 01, 2021 13:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mini Menon
07:31 May 14, 2021

a different concept...good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:26 May 14, 2021

good ending

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.