2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Romance

"Cut!" The director shouted, slamming his clipboard on the table. "What was that? That was the worst acting I've ever seen in my life."

The two actors who were playing the lead roles in the romantic comedy looked at each other, confused and embarrassed. They had just finished filming a scene where they were supposed to kiss passionately, but something felt off.

"I'm sorry sir, what did we do wrong?" The male actor jack asked nervously.

"Everything! Everything was wrong! Your chemistry was nonexistent, your timing was off, your expressions were bland, your movement were awkward... I could go on and on" The director ranted, waving his arm wildly.

"Wow thanks for the feedback," the female actor, Mia, said sarcastically. "Maybe you could tell us how to improve instead of insulting us?"

The director glared at her. "Don't you talk back to me; you are lucky I even hired you for these roles. you have no talent, no charisma, no charm. You're just pretty face with a nice body, and that's not enough to carry this movie."

Mia felt a surge of anger. She had worked hard to get this role, auditioning against hundreds of other hopefuls. She had studied the script, practiced her lines, rehearsed here scenes. She had given her best performance, but it was never good enough for the director.

"Excuse me?" She snapped. "Who do you think you are? You are not Steven Spielberg or Quentin Tarantino. You are just a hack who makes cheesy room-coms that nobody watches. You have no vision, no creativity, no originality. You are just a bully who likes to make people feel bad."

The directors face turned red. He looked like he was about to explode. He opened his mouth to say something, but before he could, Jake intervened.

"Hey, hey, hey, calm down both of you," he said, stepping between them. "There is no need to fight. Were all professionals here. We're trying to make a good movie. let's just take a deep breath and start over."

He turned to Mia and gave her a reassuring smile. He had always liked her, ever since they met at the audition. He thought she was talented, funny, and beautiful. He enjoyed working with her, even though their scenes were challenging. He leaned in and whispered in her ear. "Don't worry about him. He is just having a bad day. You are doing great, you are amazing." He kissed her cheek softly, making her blushed.

He turned to the director and gave him a polite nod. He had always respected him, even though he was harsh and demanding. He thought he was experienced, knowledgeable, and successful. He wanted to learn from him, even though his methods were tough.

we spoke in a calm respectful tone. "Sir, we apologize for disappointing you. We respect your opinion, and we appreciate your guidance. We are willing to try again and do better." He looked at him with sincere eyes. "Please give us another chance."

The director stared for him for a moment then sighed. He rubbed his temples and closed his eyes.

"Fine," he said grudgingly. "One more chance. But this is it, if don't nail this scene right now, I'm firing both of you and finding new actors."

He picked up his clipboard and walked back to his chair.

"Alright everyone action," He announced loudly.

"Let's do these again from the top. And this time make me believe it.

He clapped his hands and shouted.

"ACTION"

Jake and Mia looked at each other and smiled. They moved closer and wrapped their arms around each other.

They gazed into each other's eyes and felt a spark.

They leaned in and kissed passionately.

They made him believe it.

They made everyone believe it.

They made themselves believe it.

"That was it!" the director shouted happily, "That was what I wanted." The audience too were mesmerized they did not expect Jake and Mia to come that Close in contact. They crowd shouted, cheered and clapped for them. They had done it as expected. Their audience made them blush as they smiled cheerfully for not letting down their director.

"I knew you can do it I trusted you." The director said as he looked toward the direction of the photo graphist.

"Did you capture that?" he asked as his face shone brightly with smile. John the photo graphist was also smiling, he wasn't ready for the question. He knew that was an attempt he didn't know that he was supposed to capture the scene too. He was still flabbergasted rooted to the ground like a lost grasshopper.

"John, did you hear my question?" the director roared as he asked the question. He did not want to receive one more disappointment. Little did he know what was in store for him.

"oooooooh yeaaaaaaaa yeaaaaaa,iiiiiiiiiiiiii,diiiid noooo''John stammered as he tried to get wors out of his mouth.

The director wasn't ready for that. He could not wait for him to complete his statement. He knew at this juncture he could make a scene that he may came to regret it later. His anger had rose and he could hardly control himself. You could read his mind from a distance as he tried to trust his inner self, ignore his instincts and make his brain charge to 100% positive thinking.

His face changed he smiled and said, "now we have to film our play."

"Mr. director I thought we had already captured the scene?" Mia asked.

"Yes, we had already."

"Why once more is these a punishment?"

"No, it's an edit, we have to edit it well, you two forgot the positions of your hands."

"But our placements of our hands were correct." Jack intervened politely.

"Ooey no" the director said smiling. "Jacks had must be on the waist region while Mias mast be around the neck region."

"That was the exact thing we did boss." Mia said calmly.

"No, I think no," said the director.

Jack smiled happily as he saw one more opportunity for him to get a good kiss from Mia. He seemed to have enjoyed the first one. And this time he had to make sure he did it better since Mia was not an easy go, he had to use this opportunity well.

"OK, we will redo the play if it wasn't captured." Jack said as he smiled back to Mia.

"Really!" Mia exclaimed.

She couldn't figure out why Jack had to accept to the proposal that quick, but she had to flow by it. She had no choice but to do so.

"I agree," she finally said.

"Camera, capture, hands in position, facial expression in place." the director directed as he hoped to get the best scene now.

John stood in position as Jack and Mia approached one another slowly.

Everyone could feel the love in the air. Hands in position and then their eyes, it was as if it was a magnet pulling them together. Their jaws moved closer as their mouths moved slowly to one another. Jack smiled a little bit as he saw it coming. The crowd was silent they were like watching a romance movie.

"Jack! Jack!" shouted one girl from the Crew. It was Jacks girlfriend.

"We are done, it is over between us," she said as she left the room. Jack couldn't bare to see her girlfriend like that. He had already borne one son for him. He wasn't ready to let it go though he had a crush on Mia. He quickly ran after her calling her name." Dontlv,Dontlv."

"Knock, knock," there was someone at the door. The bell had already wrang and the next lecturer was at the door. Mr. Musyoka had to leave. As he left the class as he told as to make sure to remind him in the next lesson to complete the story. And we had to change for the next lesson.

July 21, 2023 15:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tommy Goround
07:37 Jul 25, 2023

Clapping. Last paragraph? 1) you took the banal and made it interesting. 2) the timing of the stuttering man and girlfriend were very good. 3) last paragraph? I see you are reframing the story but I don't understand. I want to understand. [Option below] * "Knock, knock," Mr. Musyoka looked at his watch and told our class that his allotted time was over. We didn't know if Mia would ever want to work with Jack again. We didn't know if Mr. Musyoka was trying to teach that _Good Art_ is hard work, all-encompassing. The sort of art that br...

Reply

Euodia Albright
15:02 Aug 03, 2023

Thanks for your comment, I think the conclusion you made was perfect I could have ended it in that manner.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.