7 comments

Happy Holiday Teens & Young Adult

"Please Caroline, I understand this must have been hard for you....."

Dad said, looking upset.

"I don't see why you had to get married again! Me and Cecy can manage ourselves and you!"

"You are growing older, and so is Cecy...."

"But-"

"For me"

I sighed. Those two words always got me. “Fine dad…just for you” He smiled and got busy with his work. You see, my dad got remarried and the lady he married, Caitlin, was moving in today evening. On Easter’s Holiday. My real mom died in an accident five years back, which was a truly depressing time. But we moved on, and life was slightly better. Until today. 

Caitlin is from France, and me and my family are from New York. So we celebrate by egg hunts and rolls, parades, and visits from the Easter Bunny (or dad). And we also go to the local church to put up flowers. “Hey sis let’s go get ready for the special dinner today evening!” Cecy said, interrupting my train of thought. She jumped up and down as she ran down the stairs. I laughed and followed her up to our room. Cecy is always happy and cheerful. She is very understanding too…. I always wished I could be like her and not be a burden on our dad. She opened our cupboard and excitedly started choosing outfits. “Mmmm…. Maybe you can wear this dress .. with the bunny ears!”

She handed over a dress with a jeans-top and an attached skirt with eggs on it, having the colors of the rainbow. The bunny ears were white with a hot pink filling in between and just in case the weather got cold took a hot pink shrug. Cecy had chosen herself a white dress with colorful rabbits on it and the same bunny ears. We dressed up and at the same time, I heard a voice, with a European accent. “Christopher! How are you doing?” 

“Aaah my dear Caitlin! I am great! You can put your things here…..”

The conversation continued and I sighed.

“Hey, Caroline. I understand things are going quite hard, but imagine the pain dad might be going through when mom died! He deserves this break...I haven’t seen him so happy in years! Caitlin isn’t THAT bad. Give her a chance and see how things turn out! Then I will let you decide further…” Cecy said giving me a reassuring smile. She always knew what to say. I hugged her and we made our way down. “Oh, you two look gorgeous! Magnifique !” 

“You too Caitlin! Simply uh magnifique !”I say weirdly. We all settle down at the dining table, followed by a long awkward silence. “So how does easter work in France?”Cecy asks, trying to break the silence. “Glad you asked! We mainly have les cloches de Pâques, or easter bells. The bells will ring on Easter Sunday to announce the Resurrection of Christ. That reminds me, I made special french traditional meals!” She got up, opened the fridge, and started taking out things. Dad went to help her. “Herby roasted lamb, served with gratin Dauphinois, navarin d'agneau, or lamb stew. Please, help yourself!” “Dig in!”Dad announced, thoroughly excited. Cecy was right. Dad has never been so happy in a long time. And I was starting to have fun! “The meal is truly amazing Caitlin!” I say joyfully. Cecy winked at me. 

After the meal, we helped in cleaning up and I asked Caitlin “I am pretty sure you miss your family, back in France! They must be missing you too… “ Her smile faded away as soon as I said this. “I am an orphan... I lost my family in an accident when I was petite.” I was shocked. Here I was thinking that I was unfortunate to lose my mom, but she had lost her entire family! “You have a family! Aren’t we your family-” I stopped here. I took a deep breathe, something I hadn’t said in years- “Mom”

Cecy looked up at me, proud. Dad looked as if I had farted on his face. And Caitlin, she was short of words. “Thank you, Caroline.” She got up and kissed me on my cheek and I hugged her back. Cecy jumped in, and so did Dad. Then we went outside for an egg hunt and Caitline, I mean mom, won! “I never knew this would be so fun!” 

When we got home, everyone was exhausted. “Good Night Dad and Mom!” Me and Cecy yelled. When we flumped onto our beds, I got an idea. “Hey, Cecy ! I got the most fabulous idea!” 

“What?”

“How ‘bout we give mom a surprise!”

“YAY! “ 

“French Easter style. Come on we have lots of work to do!”

Silently, we got up and started working. “Are you sure she will like it?” Cecy enquired. “I bet you!” I said, happy with our work.

The next morning, when mom and dad woke up, Cecy ran to keep some things on the table. She dropped a spoon purposely to get them to come there. As they came near the dining table, mum yelled happily as if she were a kid, “The chocolate bells! Oh and a huge omelet! “ Then through the mic, I yelled, “THE BELLS HAVE RETURNED FROM ROME!” And at that exact moment, Cecy played the sound of church bells through the speakers. “Dear me, are those church bells?”Dad said, astounded. Mom looked so merry and cheerful it melted me. For the last surprise, we pulled down the banner - Happy Easter To Our Dear Mom! We came out of our hiding spot. “Me and Caroline thought that you missed your french traditions this year, and have never done them with your family. So, voilà!” Cecy said, laughing like crazy. “We have a little tradition of our own, that on any special occasion, surprises our must!” I said sprightly, never in a better mood than I was at that time. Mom started to shed tears of happiness. "Oh mon Dieu! Thank you, girls, thank you! I have never been so happy in a long time!" She hugged us both and kissed dad. "Your mother has taught you all how to honor and respect traditions. Let's all observe a moment of silence in the memory of Catie." I was shocked. How did she know mum's name? I decided to ask her. She smiled and replied, "Because she was my best friend in the orphanage." Then I remembered-Mum was an orphan too!

We all sat down around the table, with an ocean mist candle in between. I joined my hands and prayed in my head, "A very happy easter mum... Hope you had as much fun as we did and are happy, wherever you are!"

November 24, 2020 04:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Navya Shukla
06:24 Nov 24, 2020

Pleasing story! good work but not your best work. I do wish you made more accurate and descriptive descriptions. There are a few typos and grammatical errors which could be corrected. I wished you had a better plot and characters (they could be more fleshed out ). Overall a good short story! :)

Reply

Nandini Shukla
06:50 Nov 24, 2020

Thank you! I experimented and took a prompt which I thought was going to be hard for me. I will keep your opinions in mind!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ahessas Chawla
04:59 Nov 24, 2020

Nice 👌😊👍

Reply

Nandini Shukla
06:10 Nov 24, 2020

thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
05:03 Nov 26, 2020

Hi Nandini! Except a few grammatical errors, your story was interesting to read! I enjoyed the way you ended it, in a positive note. Keep it up!

Reply

Nandini Shukla
03:59 Nov 27, 2020

Hey Akshaya! Thanks a lot for your suggestions, and reading!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
04:04 Nov 27, 2020

Welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.