When Silence is Deafening

Submitted into Contest #238 in response to: Set your story at a silent retreat.... view prompt

1 comment

Contemporary Friendship Speculative

Mariah couldn’t remember the last time she’d heard her own thoughts. Between the constant din of her four rambunctious children, ranging from a toddler to a ten-year-old, the relentless demands of her job, and the perpetual hum of household entropy, silence had become a mythical concept, as elusive and fantastical as a unicorn. So, when she stumbled across an ad for a silent retreat nestled in the serene mountains, promising a weekend of tranquility and reflection, Mariah was bemused by such a concept, yet yearning for the possibility. With her husband’s encouragement, she booked her spot with a mix of excitement and guilt, the latter emotion quickly squashed by the overwhelming need for just a moment’s peace.

The weeks leading up to the retreat were filled with anticipation. Mariah fantasized about the silence like a starving person dreams of a feast. She imagined herself walking through sun-dappled woods, her thoughts her own, unencumbered by Alfie’s demand for more Cheerios or pleas from Josie for her brothers to stop throwing grapes at her; the cacophony of Mariah’s daily life.

Finally, the day arrived. After a series of hugs, kisses, and reassurances from Daniel that the kids would be just fine with dad, Mariah set off. The drive was a transition, the bustling city giving way to rolling hills and then to the majestic mountains. Each mile taking her further from her chaotic world and closer to the oasis of auditory stillness.

The retreat was everything she’d hoped for and more. The setting was idyllic, the accommodations simple yet comfortable, and the schedule promised hours of meditation, yoga, and plenty of time for personal reflection—all in absolute silence.

As she settled into the opening session, taking her place on a cushion among the other participants, Mariah felt the tension melting away with every exhale. She believed this place to be a true haven from the real world. That belief was bulldozed when she saw her. Across the room, unmistakable despite the years and the context that made her presence here seem impossible, was Leah, her former best friend.

Their eyes met briefly, a flicker of recognition, then Leah frantically looked away. Mariah felt a jolt of emotion so strong it momentarily took her breath away. There, in the last place she expected, the last place she’d hoped, was the friend she’d thought she’d lost forever. The person with whom she’d shared every secret, every hope, and every heartache, until a rift so dramatic and painful had torn them apart.

They had not spoken in nearly six years, not since the argument that had escalated into a falling out so severe that it seemed irreparable. And now, here they were, in a place where speaking was forbidden, forced to confront the ghosts of their past without words.

The weekend stretched out before Mariah like a torturous exercise in what-could-have-been. Meals were consumed in communal silence, meditation sessions passed with Leah always in her peripheral vision, a constant reminder of unresolved pain. The silence, instead of being a salve, felt oppressive, heavy with words unsaid and apologies unmade.

The unraveling of Mariah and Leah’s friendship, once a source of strength and joy for both, was a stark reminder of how deeply personal values and life experiences shape our responses to those we love.

Mariah, in the throes of marital discord, had turned to Leah as she had countless times before, seeking solace and understanding. Her marriage, though fraught with challenges, was something she was determined to fight for. She believed in the commitment she had made, despite the current turmoil, and her confessions to Leah were cries for support, a way to voice her fears and hopes in a safe place.

Leah, however, viewed marriage and commitment through a very different lens. Her perspective was colored by her upbringing, having witnessed the adults in her life cycle through partners with a pragmatism that left little room for the concept of ‘working things out.’ To Leah, love was not about endurance or patience, but about happiness and personal fulfillment. This viewpoint, though partially valid in its own right, starkly contrasted with Mariah’s values and current needs.

When Mariah shared her struggles, Leah’s response was blunt and, to Mariah, profoundly insensitive. Leah suggested that perhaps the best solution was to simply let go, to end the marriage and embrace the freedom of starting anew. Her advice was not malicious; in Leah’s world, such a solution was practical, even kind, a way to spare oneself prolonged unhappiness.

But to Mariah, Leah’s suggestion felt like a betrayal. It wasn’t just that Leah had failed to support her in the way she needed; it was that her best friend seemed to trivialize the commitment Mariah held sacred. She had been seeking empathy, a shoulder to lean on in a challenging time in her marriage. Not a push toward what she perceived as giving up on the life she had built with the father of her then, two children. Leah’s inability to understand the depth of Mariah's commitment, and her quickness to suggest divorce, struck a nerve too raw and too deep.

The fallout was immediate and painful. Mariah withdrew, feeling isolated and misunderstood by the person she had thought would stand by her through thick and thin. Leah, confused and hurt by Mariah’s reaction, felt unfairly judged for offering what she believed was sound advice.

Their disagreement over Mariah’s marital issues became a chasm too wide to bridge, filled with unspoken grievances and a profound sense of loss. Leah’s suggestion, rooted in her own experiences and beliefs, inadvertently underscored how differently they viewed fundamental aspects of life. This difference, once manageable, became insurmountable in the face of Mariah’s crisis.

Days turned to weeks as they both waited for the other to call first to apologize, pride not allowing either woman to be the first. Months turned to years as they both mourned the loss of their closest confidante, still clutching their pride and presuming it was too late to make amends. 

Mariah found herself revisiting the past, turning over the memories like stones, uncovering the hurt and the misunderstandings that had led to their falling out. She saw her own mistakes, her stubbornness, and her pride. She wondered if Leah was doing the same, if she too was replaying that final, fatal conversation, looking for the moment when everything could have been salvaged.

The weekend, instead of providing an escape, became a mirror, reflecting back at Mariah all the things she’d been too busy, too angry, and too proud to face. In the enforced silence, she confronted not just the loss of her friendship with Leah but the reasons behind it, the parts of herself she didn’t like to acknowledge.

On the final day, as the silence was ceremonially broken, and voices, tentative at first, then stronger, filled the air, Mariah felt a sense of clarity. She knew what she needed to do, but the thought of approaching Leah, of bridging the chasm that silence had both widened and made more apparent, was terrifying.

She found Leah packing her car, the awkwardness palpable. Mariah took a deep breath, the words she’d rehearsed in her head evaporating in the face of raw emotion. Before she could falter, Leah turned to her, the weight of years in her eyes.

“I need you to know that I’ve never been more sorry, and I miss my best friend.” Leah said, her voice breaking the silence between them like a dam bursting.

The words, simple and heartfelt, were a key, unlocking something tight and painful in Mariah’s chest. Tears sprang to her eyes, mirroring those in Leah’s. In that moment, the past and all its pain seemed to recede, leaving room for something new, or perhaps something old and nearly forgotten—forgiveness.

Their reunion at the silent retreat forced both women to confront the fallout of their estrangement without the crutch of conversation. It was a poignant reminder of their lost friendship, compelling them to reflect on the value of empathy and understanding, and on the sometimes painful diversity of human perspectives on love and commitment.

The journey back to noise, to chaos, to the demands of daily life, felt different for Mariah. She returned not just to her family but to a part of herself she’d lost along the way. The silent retreat, intended as an escape, had instead been a confrontation, but one that brought with it the possibility of healing.

The silence had been filled, not with the peace Mariah had sought, but with the resolution of a long-held pain, a reminder that sometimes the most profound changes come from the places we least expect. And as she drove away, the sounds of the world rushing back to greet her, Mariah felt, for the first time in a long time, whole.

February 24, 2024 04:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kayla Wikaryasz
01:20 Mar 01, 2024

Hi Kassandra! I read your story as part of the Critique Circle :). First of all, love how you opened this piece. I especially enjoyed this line: "...and the perpetual hum of household entropy, silence had become a mythical concept, as elusive and fantastical as a unicorn." Genius! You are a poet, I see! Love this setting, the conflict, and the characters. I would love to see you develop this further, and perhaps include some dialogue. I think that was the only thing I felt was wanting in this piece. But overall, well done and a great read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.