Miss Mott's Library, Flower and Smoke Shop

Written in response to: Write a story involving a friendship between two different species. ... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Friendship Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

Triggers: Death, Murder, Undertones Of Racism


This is my first story posted on this site in over a year, I hope you guys enjoy and maybe it makes up for my absence. Enjoy!



I’m Leadell, an elf from Viata, Europa. I live in Rundale Castle with the rest of the Power Elf Clan. I had learned it was a very popular place for humans to flock to back in the era of when humanity still existed, in fact it seems that San Marino was a very popular area of the Europa region before magic took over!. I spend most of my days in the Downtown District, trading spices and gems with other witches from Europa, or traveling all across the Italiaza or Menegreto regions to help slay dragons that torment the Central Europa Region. Although the life I live is full of excitement, I can’t help but to wonder what exactly life was like when humanity still existed. I guess the only way to actually find out is asking a human, which is exactly what I do!


There’s a small store in the northeastern edge of the Downtown District called Miss Mott’s Library, Flower and Smokes run by a small madam named, you guessed it, Maisley Mott. Usually store owners around that area are nymphs from the Lavite region that fled from their dragon-infested lands or witches from Swiz, usually looking to swindle you to make a quick buck. But Miss Mott is different! Believe it or not, Miss Mott is one of the last 3 humans alive on Earth. Miss Mott was born in 1997 but is somehow still alive in the year 2128 MET (Magical Effective Timeline). Legend has it that when Miss Mott was a baby, a lone witch from "Switzerland” (now called Swiz) came by to "Denmark”(Danma) and raised hell in the little town where she was born, Copenhagen. She was the sole survivor of the attack, the witch found her on the port of the town amidst a heap of bewitched corpses, and was bewitched to never die, and then sent across the sea to the Balkans. Miss Mott then tried to make her bearings with a new family until magic completely took over in 2027. During the Great Magic War, Miss Mott went everywhere across the region to preserve human history before it got taken over by magic. One day she came back to Latvia after an expedition to the Ünited States” (now called Estado) and the entirety of the country was being rebuilt by nymphs and elves. I was one of them.


She came to Rundale Castle and saw me walking around with a few dragon eggs in a basket. She looked incredibly distressed, obviously unbeknownst to me due to elves conveying feelings in different ways. She cried and asked me where all the humans were. She didn't take it all too kindly when I politely let her know that all of humanity in Viata was extinguished. Obviously I was confused why she broke down, until I realized she was an actual human herself! 


About 4 seconds later I was struck in the face with a sword, not enchanted or anything, but just a regular sword. It seemed to pack a harder punch than an enchanted sword, I immediately fell to the ground, blue blood was draining from me at an extremely fast rate. That was the day I almost died, I was almost killed by my best friend. She almost died that way as well, after I got struck to the ground I saw her being attacked by the Power Elf clan. There’s one rule concurrent with all elves, “The attacker of a sole elf will be dealt with accordingly”. She was ambushed by the highest ranking members of the clan, but she was able to back them off using only her human knowledge on sword fighting and wit. After that day, magical beings in the area took care of her while she did odd jobs around the area, she then got enough coins to purchase and renovate an old charms store and renovated it into the beloved Miss Mott’s Library, Flower and Smoke Shop!


This shop is your one stop shop for human knowledge, a human made garden and even human made smokes. The northeastern edge of the Downtown District was initially a ghost town with only few visitors, the only things there were restaurants that only sold extra lean cut nymph made barbecue, until Miss Mott’s shop came along. Her library has a whole shelf with books that have human recipes! I even started a small shop directly across the street that sells elf cookies, courtesy of one of her cookbooks! Everyday I visit her store for a “Marlboro cigarettes” after I help slay dragons and then go into my own store to make elf cookies or come by and read relics of human stories. The “nonfiction” and “history” shelves are….a little concerning but it’s much more of human history taught than in an elfish school. 


For decades, Miss Mott, the Downtown District residents and I lived in peace until one day of March 1st, I came by to her shop carrying a box of dragon eggs, hoping to make a boil with them until I saw it. The door of the shop was locked and the windows were being boarded, luckily she gave me a backdoor key (or I could just blast the front door open but I don’t want her to spend her life savings of coins to repair it). I teleported to the backdoor and opened it and found a woman behind the history shelves cowering in fear, bruises on her face, her clothes stained with fairy dust tea, and visible burn marks on her hand. It was…



“...MAISLEY?”, I yelled.


The woman nodded shakily, I couldn’t believe that the strong human I was best friends with was beaten down. Immediately a burst of energy came from me, I was in a fit of rage. Some of the books caught on fire but I didn’t care, I needed to know who hurt her.


I saw a silhouette in the window, the pointy ears made it no doubt that it was one of the elf clans, which is rare to find on this side of town besides for Elfish Cookies, they really never paid attention at all to the nymph barbecue or the human knowledge. Why were they here?-


“WHERE ARE YOU HUMAN?”- a booming voice roared.


Miss Mott cowered even more, and I immediately ducked to the ground. I tried to comfort her by giving her one of her favorite book series into her extremely shaky hands, and she beamed a bit more. 

I got up and immediately started to form energy beams, I realized that one of the newest elvish leaders was the one here. He had an incredibly hateful prejudice against humanity, but I never expected him to come to this area. Now Miss Mott is in danger



Without thinking, I blasted out energy beams from my hands and destroyed the door. There he was…Sakui, the new elf leader. He already had his swords drawn, and his army of Power Elves and other magical creatures behind him. I was outnumbered. Miss Mott weakly tried to use her own swords on the wall or at least find any cactus plant to throw at him, but the cacti were all burnt and the swords were locked up because I put them away last night…I was the reason she couldn’t save herself that night. After 30 minutes of energy beams being fired, I realized I couldn’t fight anymore using energy and had to teleport to the front of the army and try to fight them off that way.


After I did, I heard an ear-piercing scream. There was a beam of energy that blasted the shop. Everything went quiet, the nymphs finally made their way from the forests and stopped dead in their tracks.


I saw blue blood from the entrance of the shop, but only red in the back, blasted all across the shelves. I saw her, Maisley Mott, who’s only lived in pain, dead on the floor right next to her favorite book, “Magic For A Good Cause”.


After a week, the shop was ransacked by witches, and all the relics of human knowledge and fiction were burned by all the human cigarettes she stored, the Downtown District went quiet that day and everything was grey. Until a beautiful petunia sprouted in the middle of the ashes.


This was the first ever non magic organism that came by naturally in Viata ever since the Great Magic War. Miss Mott would have loved to see it.



April 30, 2022 02:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.