0 comments

Fiction Romance Fantasy

 She had been here before, but when? How did she get here? She had just laid down to sleep in her room. In her soft, warm bed, and had forgotten to turn off the light. So how did she get here in the woods? She felt as if she was herself yet outside of herself. She could feel her emotion and not hers. Alaya looked around. The sun was setting fast and the forest growing darker with each step the body took. The trail made a crunching sound under her feet as she watched the dark green boots begin to run. She could tell this was not her body. The long muscular legs wrapped in form-fitting moss-colored leather pants. Matching tunic over a chainmail shirt. She knew this was made for this body. The whole outfit moved with her like water and felt like cool silk on her skin. “Am I dreaming?” Alaya asked herself. “Yes, now be quiet before you get us killed you twit.” Alaya almost jumped out of her skin. As she frantically looked around she knew she was looking through the eyes of this body, but she heard another woman’s voice in her head.

Will you please just stop trying to control this and let me work? If they hear us, we will fail our mission.” Alaya stopped herself from talking. She felt so confused. What was this other voice talking about? What mission? Who will kill us? Where am I? What did I eat that gave me this nightmare so that I don’t eat it again. She closed her eyes but realized that it was useless. She could still see everything. The body left the trail jumping over borders and fallen trees. The sun was nearly gone and the forest was dark and damp. Suddenly She could hear a waterfall roaring just ahead of her. The deafening noise drowned out anything the other voice had said, but the feeling Alaya got was dread. Looking over the boulder, she saw a black castle built into the mountain. “This is impossible. There is no mountain in these woods.

Oh for Goddess Sakes, please tell me you know what you are doing here.” the voice said to Alaya as she began to see that she was looking at a mirror portal. “I could lie to you lady and say yes, but I will just guess that you want me to jump through that blurry hole over there and hope for the best.” Alaya’s nerves were beginning to show. She was afraid and did not want to hide it. She was hoping this lady would release her from this dream. " Great, I can’t believe they would send an untrained Dream Walker for this. Well, it’s too late now. You’re my only way through that portal sweet cheeks. So put on your big girl bloomers. Be quiet and let’s go.” the voice said to her. The body stood and climbed to the top of the boulder. She looked around listening to the forest then took a leap landing next to the portal.

The portal waved. Like someone tossed a pebble into a puddle causing it to ripple. Alaya took hold of the body as if it was hers. She grabbed the warrior spirit inside it with her tossing it to the back of the mind. “YOU FOOL!” she said to is as she put her hands up to calm the portal. “Are you trying to break it? This is OUR only way in or out of that place and I personally would like to go home.” Alaya said as she hummed an unusual tune and the portal cleared. “So you do know why you’re here and you’re not as stupid as I thought you were.” “No, you gunhoe idgit. I don’t know why I am here. And all you did was make an ass of yourself assuming I did not know how to Dream Walk.” Alaya turns to face the warrior spirit in her mind with her. She was beautiful and Alaya was jealous of her. She had auburn hair in a single plait over her shoulder. Almond green eyes and long dark lashes and copper olive skin. She smelled like musk and sandalwood with cherry blossoms.

Alaya turned her back to her not wanting to look at her anymore. Deep inside she felt there was something wrong with this warrior woman and this dream. She put her hands to the portal and ever so slowly turned it allowing her to enter like it was a door opening in the center. Stepping through the warrior spirit took back over the body running to the stone bridge connected to the castle. Alaya watched as knights in black armor and horses came riding out of the castle. She was in the middle of the stone bridge when black arrows rained down on them. “What are you doing? We need to get out of here.” Alaya said to the warrior fighting her way to the castle. “NO! He has to die!” Alaya began working her dream magic. She called up the mists to cover them so the archers could not see a target. Just as she was calling strength to her shields, she smelled the most intoxicating scent. Raw Tobacco, Sandalwood, Sage with a hint of Mimosa Blossoms. Alaya opened her eyes to see a rather tall knight step onto the bridge and the smell was coming from him. She couldn’t move. She couldn’t breathe. She could only stare at him and watch as he battled with the warrior spirit inside her. The way his body moved with each swing of his sword had Alaya transfixed in the dream. She could hear the warrior spirit yelling at her but she sounded far away. Then she heard the whistling overhead, looking up, she saw the large bolt arrow flying right at her. Alaya braced herself for the impact. Nothing happened then she heard a deep voice, “RUN!” Opening her eyes, she found herself looking into the most stormy grey eyes she had seen. His arm wrapped around her waist pulling her so close she melted into him. His shield above them stopping the bolt arrow. “RUN ALAYA! FIGHT HER!

Alaya turned in his arm and ran as fast as she could. Her clothes changed from the warrior’s garb to her usual glowing moss green dress. She felt her hair turn into her usual braid when she dream walks. Screaming, horses, swords clanging, and arrows whizzing past her. She ran faster for the portal. Just before the portal, she heard the warrior scream at her, and her garb change again. Alaya knew she couldn’t turn to face the knight. If she did, she would be stuck wherever she is now and the portal would be gone. “HE HAS TO DIE!” the warrior spirit screamed at Alaya as she tried to force the body to turn around. “I don’t know who you think has to die you freaking nutjob, but I am NOT getting stuck here in your nightmare,” Alaya said as she punched her. Fighting her to the back of the body’s mind. As she fought in her head getting closer and closer each punch and kick to the portal, she felt the knight’s strong arms around her. “Keep fighting her Alaya. I need you to get us through or we both die,” he whispered in her ear as he picked her up running. Just as she had full control of the body again, he jumped through the portal with a groan. Landing hard on the other side, Alaya felt something wet on her back.

Shaking herself, she knew she was still dreaming. No longer in her dream garb, she stood up looking around. Portals to different dreamers were all around her and the knight at her feet. No longer dressed as a knight, he now had a black-on-black Armani suit on. His dark hair was the color of a raven’s wing in a ponytail in the back. He looked as if he was sleeping peacefully. Alaya reached down to touch him just to have him grab her wrist painfully. “Damn dude, what the hell you do that for?” Looking around in confusion until his grey eyes settled on her and he smiled. “I am sorry m’lady. I see we made it through, but we must be moving. They are coming. Where is Waya Kachina?” Alaya crossed her arms. “Um…Who? Wa-ya Ka-chi-na? Oh, you mean that Wolf Spirit lady. I don’t know. I don’t feel her here. Is she your crazy girlfriend or something?” He smiled at her and started walking. “Something like that. We need to get you home. Do you know which of these is your…” He looked at her like he was about to say something he shouldn’t. “Do you know where we are?” he asked raising his brow at her. “Of course I do. Why does EVERYONE think I don’t know what I am doing? Just because my guide abandoned me doesn’t mean I’m too stupid to figure things out. Read a book or self-train.” He suddenly looked as if he was hurt by her words. “HE did not abandon you, Awenasa! He had to leave you because he fell in love with you.

Alaya stopped turning to look at him. She replayed what he just said to her over and over in her head as she stared at him. Turning back around without a word she walked to a bench overlooking someone dreaming about an action movie. He sat next to her and Alaya put her head on his shoulder. “I knew it was you when I smelled your scent on the bridge back there and I knew there was something wrong with that woman too. While we are here between worlds, do you think you should tell me what happened Kanati?” He sighed as he moved to hold Alaya. “I wish I could because there is so much I wish to share with you, but there are powers beyond our control that keeps me from it Awenasa. The only thing I can share with you is this. On this side, in the dreams, I watch and protect you. It is what I am allowed to do. Even that is more than Waya wants to allow. She knows you are stronger than her IF you are to come to full Dream Walker status. It is why she worked so hard to separate us.” He pulled a silver and turquoise locket from his pocket placing it in her hand. “Always know I love you,” he said.

Alaya opened her hand looking at the locket and saw the blood smear on it. Startled, she checked his side and saw a bullet wound. “How did you get that? They had arrows.” He smiled and she noticed how pale he was then. “When we came through the portal to here my wound changed to match the era, much like our clothes did. It is how Dream Walking works. That way you don’t frighten the locals so to speak.” he said with a little laugh. “Come with me I can’t lose you now. I just found you again.” Alaya took his hand pulling him up just as there was a horrid howling scream that rented the air. Alaya felt as if life had been sucked from her soul. Shots began to fire over their heads. “RUN AWENASA!” he said as he reach for a gun she didn’t know he had. “NOT WITHOUT YOU!” She grabbed him as she manifested a car, shoving him inside. Speeding away, firing shots at Waya and the gunmen she had gathered. “Where did she get those guys?” she asked. Kanati hit one between the eyes as they turned the corner. “They are the knights from the castle. She can’t kill you but they can.” Topping the hill Alaya headed for the portal she needed. “What the hell did I ever do to her? I don’t recall meeting her before tonight.” Getting flung into the dash as Alaya hit the gas sending them through a portal that looks like a small town country house. Skidding to a stop just before the propane tank. “The only thing you did to her Alaya was be born,” Kanati said after he got his breath back. “Well, that is just stupid, there has to be more and you WILL tell me later,” she said as she pulled him from the car. Half dragging him to the door she beat on it as an elderly man answered.

“I am sorry Oscar. I truly need your help.” Oscar opened the door letting Alaya and Kanati in. “He has been shot and lost a lot of blood. We had nowhere else to go to save him. Please.” Oscar nodded his head and pushed a button next to the door. A loud explosion happened outside and Waya stopped shooting. In Russian, Oscar said, “Dat should take care of that for a bit.” Alaya laughed, “Thank you, how is your son? No nightmares lately?” Oscar motioned for his wife to get his Dr bag. “No, no nightmares. The potions you gave him worked. All better now. Thank you.” Alaya left Oscar to do his thing as she watched out the windows at Waya. She was gathering more soldiers and surrounding the house. It seemed like she had been in this dream state for years now. She knew she was fighting to say asleep too. She didn’t want to wake up. She knew if she did, she would lose Kanati again. She wanted to learn what Waya was so mad at her for. She knew IF she did not wake, she would die but is there a way to save Kanati and bring him with her to the waking world?

Oscar’s wife brought her a riffle just as he came out of the operating room he built in his home. “He wants to see you, little bird,” he said as he took a position next to a window ready to shoot. Alaya went into the room Kanati was resting. He opened his eyes and smiled at her. Taking his hand, he pulled her close to him. “I love you Alaya. You are home to me and I am always with you. I need you to let me go. Let me die here so you can wake, you and these people will be safe.” Alaya looked him in the storm grey eyes as both their tears began to fall. “Kiss me, my danado,” he said as his breathing shallowed. Alaya wanted to fight. To argue with him not to give up. But she knew he was right. So she leaned forward kissing him as he released his last breath, a shot rang out.

Alaya woke in her bed crying and screaming. Everything was as she had left it when she fell asleep. The light was still on so she knew she was still home alone. She still got up checking the house. Crying as she did so. She went outside and the stars seemed brighter than usual. “Am I still dreaming?” She felt the emptiness inside her and all around her. “No, I am awake this time.” Going back to her room, she quickly fell back to sleep. Walking into her cabin in her woods. She settled herself on her couch with her pictures laid out on the table. Looking at each one watching the scenes move and change. She was just too tired to pick someone’s dream to visit until he caught her eye. She watched Kanati in the photo and then he looked at her and smiled.

September 25, 2021 08:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.