Reincarnation or Resurrection

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Horror Suspense

                             


“You will die, demon!” The prior held high his crucifix and chanted a prayer of salvation.

           “Fool,” Romulus scoffed, “your holy water and religious symbols are not strong enough to banish me. I will continue to prey on the people of this land long after you have perished.”

           The prior continued to pray. Reaching into the folds of his cassock, he withdrew a flask of water, freshly drawn from the font in the courtyard of the monastery. He threw it on the demonic creature standing before him. He fully expected to see the demon collapse to the ground, overcome by perdition. What he experienced instead was straight from the gates of Hell.

           “Imbecile, you think a simple monk has the power to destroy me. I have been alive for longer than your revered patron has been thought to even exist. It is to me you should pay your homage. I have the power to grant you immortality and everlasting respect!”

           “Begone, beast! Go back to the pits of Hell from which you have risen,” shouted the prior as he rushed toward the creature, his beloved crucifix held tightly in his hand as he reached skyward to welcome Christ’s embrace.

           Romulus laughed as the monk got close enough for an attack. In one swift movement, he grabbed the prior and sank his fangs into the throbbing red artery of the surprised man. He twisted the man’s head and broke his neck with a snap while continuing to drink greedily from the now-dead prior. Just as he raised his head and wiped his bloody lips with the back of his hand, the residents of the priory school came out en masse, each armed with holy water and a crucifix. Romulus knew one man alone was not much of a threat, but an assemblage of this proportion might certainly lead to his demise. Hissing in anger, with the blood of the prior still dripping from his fangs, the demon turned to face the army of approaching monks.

           As the first friar approached, Romulus grabbed his arm and easily flung him away. The group continued to move closer, prayer uniting them as they converged on the beast. Faith alone guided them as they attempted to surround him, tossing holy water from their chalices, flasks, and bowls. As the first of the holy water hit him Romulus felt nothing, and he quickly killed the young monk who flung it. But as the sheer volume of saturation increased, so did the demon’s discomfort. As the first paralyzing paroxysm hit him, Romulus knew he would have a better chance of escape in his animal form. Writhing in pain, he transmogrified, knowing full well that he could easily resurrect in his human form when he was in a safer location.


Modern-day New York City

           Remey sat pensively in the darkened lounge. The lack of light and the lingering haze of smoke provided the anonymity he needed. He had just arrived in the city and had not yet made the necessary contacts to feed his habit. Without a supplier, he would soon languish and go through painful withdrawal symptoms. Knowing that it was imperative to assuage the gut-wrenching hunger within him as soon as possible, he surveyed the throng of people in the crowded club.

           Glancing around the room, he scoured the crowd, hoping to find somebody who fit the profile. He would know the person as soon as he saw them. A certain tilt of the head, a nervous tick, a tittering laugh, and timorous eye movements would betray their secret. Distrustful of everyone but frightened of nobody. That was the person he was looking for. Standing so he could get a better look at the patrons of the bar, Remey felt the first pains of withdrawal. Soon the weakness and nausea would begin. He needed a fix, fast.

           Just as he considered leaving the bar to find another, less classy location Remey saw his mark. A blonde was sitting at the bar, long nails tapping rhythmically on the countertop, stiletto adorned foot swinging nervously to and from. She kept glancing around as if looking for somebody. She was alone but looked like she didn’t want to be. She was waiting for somebody, not any particular somebody, just some body. Remey knew she was the one he had been looking for.

           As he laid a twenty on the table to cover his untouched cocktail, Remey felt eyes upon him. He turned and saw the blonde coming toward him, fast. She had spotted him through the dense crowd. Nodding to her, he began to cross the room, fending off the bodies that writhed in sync with the cacophony that filled the lounge. As he jostled his way through the congregation, he lost sight of the blonde. By the time he reached where she had been standing, she had vanished.

           “Shit,” he cursed his rotten luck. Turning this way and that, he struggled to find the goddess of his salvation. Seeing her nowhere he called out to the bartender, “Did you happen to see where that blonde went?”

           “Try the restroom,” the barkeep replied as she pointed to a narrow passageway, “seems like that’s where they all go.”

           Remey nodded and moved in the direction the young woman had indicated. As he walked, another spasm of pain rocked his weakening body. He knew he was going to have to get something into his bloodstream quickly. Before long he would find himself collapsing into a dark alley, delirious with agony.

           Stepping into the lavatory to splash cold water on his face, Remey was glad nobody else was in the room. They’d take one look at his white pallor, see the dark circles under his dull eyes, notice the tremor of his hands as he turned off the faucet, and they’d know. They’d know that he was a junkie who needed a fix. They would recognize him as the addict he was. He couldn’t risk waiting any longer. He knew he’d have to turn to the streets to find a supplier. Not bothering to glance in the mirror, Remey stepped back into the darkened hallway to make his exit from the club.

           “I was wondering where you’d run off to.” The silky, feminine voice greeted Remey in the darkness. “I thought you’d taken off on me, even though I can give you what you need. Why don’t you meet me in the alley out back? Don’t worry, I’ll stay out of the light. I don’t want to draw any unwanted attention if you know what I mean.”

           Before Remey could respond, she turned and walked away, heading toward the back of the club. This is like the answer to a prayer, Remey thought. He’d never been a religious fellow, but this had to be more than dumb luck. Not wanting to risk losing his chance to score a fix, he followed the blonde out the back door and into the alley. He found her standing in the dark, in a corner where a brick wall created a dead end. He approached her quickly, ignoring the pain in his gut as he did. Feeling his pulse quicken, he suddenly felt energized, knowing the relief he needed was just moments away.

           “I know what you need,” the blonde said. “I can take care of you, but not here. Too risky. My apartment is only a block away. If we walk fast, we can be there in two minutes. Once we’re there, you can have as much as it takes to satisfy yourself. I’ll make sure you regain your strength and then I’ll fulfill your wildest desires.”

           Remey contemplated her offer for a moment. He wasn’t looking for any long-term connection, just a quick fix until he could find a new supplier. But she was so beautiful, in an eerie way. Her pale skin and ice blue blues appealed to his male instincts. Not only could he get the fix he so desperately needed, but he might get laid as well. He decided to follow her, knowing full well that she would never live to tell anybody about him.

           Within a few minutes, they were entering the gated doorway of an impressive condo complex. “No doorman?” Remey questioned the deserted lobby. Surely a place this swanky had full-time security. He couldn’t risk being seen. He knew there would be an investigation after he had gone.

           “He’s gone for the day. Very few people come and go at this hour of the night.” Pointing toward the ceiling, the blonde said, “Besides, the security cameras see everything.”

           Remey took a quick glance at the camera mounted high on the wall. He knew it wouldn’t be a problem. Taking his hand, the blonde led him across the foyer into the open elevator. Stepping inside, she pushed the button for the penthouse. He should have known she was loaded- expensive dress, diamond bracelet, porcelain nails, designer stilettos. She probably doubles as an escort, he thought to himself. His thought was validated when the elevator doors closed a few seconds later. Backing him into a corner, the blonde rubbed her body up and down the length of him. She purred like a cat as she tugged at the waistband of his slacks. When the chime dinged a moment later and the elevator doors opened, she led him by the hand into her penthouse apartment.

           Remey took just a second to peruse the décor. Ultra-sleek, all-white furnishings with dark brown mission-style tables. No lamps, just overhead track lights. No television or computer visible; probably hidden in an armoire somewhere. Suppliers always had the nicest stuff; at least the good suppliers did.

           The blonde did not pause in the living room but instead led him directly into her boudoir. The décor here reflected the purity of the living room- white linens on dark wood furniture, plush white carpet beneath his feet. She was definitely a classy lady.

           “You just go to the bed and make yourself comfortable, darling. In the nightstand drawer, there’s a little baggie of what you need. I’m going into the other room to get myself ready.” She tittered a giggle as she strutted into the bathroom and closed the door softly.

           Remey sat on the edge of the bed, his breathing quickening. He knew he’d have just what he needed in a moment. Not only that, but he could satisfy a primal male need that hadn’t been satisfied in a very long time. Chuckling to himself, he pulled out the palm-sized plastic bag and quickly consumed the contents. He lay back on the bed, waiting for the effects to kick in. Once he felt the familiar warmth flowing through his veins, he sat up and removed his shirt and belt. Just as he unfastened the button on his trousers, the bathroom door opened. In the threshold, he could see the beautiful blonde in a diaphanous white gown and golden stilettos. From his vantage in the darkened bedroom, she looked like an angel. The faint light behind her threw just enough illumination to make her seem heaven-sent.

           Remey stood, feeling his manhood grow as he rose. Suddenly his most fierce need was his sexual desire. He had never reacted this way to a woman. They had always just been a necessity, a way to satisfy a primal need. This beautiful, angelic creature was stirring something deep within him, something emotional. He didn’t even know he was capable of feelings. Why was he so drawn to her? Never taking his eyes from her beautiful face and the golden halo of light surrounding her, Remey started across the room toward her.

           “Stop right there, Remey!”

           He stopped, confused. How did she know his name? He had not told her anything. Anonymity was essential to his lifestyle. Exactly who was this beautiful creature? Was she, like he, an immortal of some type?

           “Or should I say Romulus?” the blonde spat as she reached into the folds of her gown and withdrew a pistol.

           Remey had a sudden flashback of memory. He remembered the prior in the courtyard of the abbey, reaching into the folds of his robe for a flask of holy water. Suddenly he realized exactly what was happening.

           “Oh shit,” Remey said, just as the blonde fired the silver bullet from the pistol.

           “That’s right,” the blonde said as she stood over the pile of ash that was once the vampire Romulus, “the Lord rewarded me with reincarnation so I could smoke your resurrected ass. And reincarnation trumps resurrection every time, demon.”

April 30, 2021 16:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.