0 comments

American Christian Romance

“Hoe’s will be hoes’, man, I don’t know what to tell you, we all warned you about that one.” he replied sternly to his brother like this regularly. 

“Yeah what about Britton, though. She doesn't deserve this shit. Her Mother, dude. Just acting a straight up fucking fool. I can’t stand this bitch.” Karl chokes back tears like this on a daily basis. The last 6 weeks, at least, is when Valerie started to act out. It had been coming on so slow yet so fast. Watching his wife transform into this demonic-type possession, had been the hardest part of his life at this point. Life has been a sheer veil of Hell over their sweet little suburban home. They share a 2 year old daughter together named Britton, which certainly complicates life a lot more. A puppy too, what a fucking mess. 

Karl and his brother, Abe, are hanging in the garage of their mothers high-end condo in the ‘uppity’ part of town that they grew up in. Abe and Karl are having some beers and kicking around some tunes. The song Transformer by Chris Brown and Lil Wayne, plays delicately in the background. Abe snaps a beer open, almost like an artform. He drinks a lot of canned beer these days.

“Beer shits much, bro? Looks like that pie that Tim made on Thanksgiving.” Karl sneaks a laugh out in closing.

“Oh snap, that beer shits’ pie! That shit did slap though. Looked fucking gross as Hell.”

“Yeah.” Karl chuckles. He hates that word, Hell, his brother doesn’t share some of the same religious views as his younger counterpart.

“What do you think they are doing in there? I hope they are passed out. Mom always wants to talk about shit. Like, she cares but it’s getting like, repetitive, man.” 

“I don’t know, bro, but I am hungry and if Tim is in the kitchen he needs to move the fuck over. He’s always eating.” Abe always likes to assert dominance over his mother's boyfriend, as he chugs and crushes his 11th beer. 

The song plays on as the brothers’ laugh and converse.

Need a ride I can range you 

  Up

Money I can change you up

You can ride your own, no

Longer be the passenger

Swag low I can build you up, knees

We can stand you up red lips

Red dress like em' like a fire truck

“Here we go, here go now. Give it away, give it away, NOW.” Abe sadly raps. Sad, as in poorly.

“Wrong, song fool.” his baby brother teases. “Wrong rapper too.” 

“Dude you know all that shit, I don't. Good tune though, for real.” as Abe continues to rap, Break Ya Neck by Busta Rhymes. 

“Isn’t this that song that Timmy loves?” Abe belches out, after saying.

“Nah, that's Pass the Courvoisier.” Karl quickly answers.

“I don't know how you keep track of that shit.”

‘TIMMY!!!” Abe yells, totally owning his alcohol intoxication. The brothers laugh and continue to carry on until the wee hours of the morning. 

Abe is gone by morning and Karl wakes up just as pissed and confused as he was the night before. Fuck this shit, Karl thinks as he throws his two feet on the floor, with a quick leap out of bed. His Bible catches him out of the corner of his eye, the thoughts going through his mind he knows are not Godly and probably involve every sin that there is. He pretends to not see it, knowing full well that God sees and knows everything we think and feel. 

“Karl, you need to move your damn car before I am late for work! I have screamed for you 5 times!” Yells Mama, from the bottom of the stairs. 

Damn, Karl thinks, knowing full well that today is going to be a shit day. He shuffles down the stairs, annoyed as always, "Sorry, Mom."

"And I'm missing 2 forks. You need to watch my set! I'm still missing my crystal wine glass that you gave to that dummy too." wines Katherine. Karl begins to whistle to the tune of Hey Mama by Kanye West.

"Ughhh, stop with that damn song! Goodbye, I love you!" Mom says as she light weight slams the door. Karl chuckles, "Typical bullshit." as he pours his first cup of coffee. He sits down, takes a sip and cannot help but wonder what kind of fresh heck awaits him. He mentally maps out his day, takes a quick shower and hits the road. Karl promises himself a night of heavy drinking after all is done, as well.

Karl's errand running has been daunting and draining to say the least. Bank, store and an unpleasant visit with Val back at the house. This hoe shit has Karl ready to party and makes him want to meet another chick even more, Fuck Val.

It's almost dark as Karl pulls into his favorite neighborhood bar that happens to be owned by a few friends of Abe's, named Debar's. It's pretty packed, a typical Saturday night here. Karl takes a look around the parking lot and notices that he doesn't recognize any of the cars. That's cool, he's thinking, I don't really feel like talking to anyone, anyway. He walks up the ramp and into the front door, it smells like stale beer and cigarette smoke, yum. He opens up the door to the bar and slaps a smile on his face.

"Yo, Ben. Bud and a shot of Bim Jeam." Karl requests from his big brother's friend.

"Yoooooo, Karl. What's happening? Val just left."

"FUCK. VAL." Karl shoots back.

"Duly noted, kid. Enjoy." Ben slides his shot over to him and Karl picks it up a swallows the bourbon down in one, swift gulp.

"Thanks, man." Karl nods and slides the shot glass at the edge of the bar in efforts for a refill. He feels the weight of her stare and instantly darts his attention to her. She looks pissed, and holy shit, it's Bianca.

He almost forgot about her, how is this possible? He is thinking at this moment. She is fucking stunning, blonde highlights, banging body and bright blue eyes that could kill you, and you wouldn't mind one bit. Karl used to stare at her, endlessly, in a few classes they had during high school. She was nice too, and funny. Just glorious to all five senses.

She is here with some dude but they both look pretty pissed. That vibe is strong and encircles the inside of the bar as he slams down his bottle of beer on the bar top surface and storms out the front door. Bianca laughs, rolls her eyes, tucks her pretty and short blonde hair behind her ear as she continues to dance in her seat and sip her cocktail.

"That's one problem solved." Ben says to Karl directly, as if to let him know that he busted him in a complete drowned stare.

Karl laughs, "Dude, I have had a crush on her for years. I'm about to roll up." Karl says with the certainty of liquid courage in his voice.

"God speed, kid." Ben isn't as sure.

The song Lookin' at me by Mase affectionately cues on the jukebox. Ha! A fuckin' throw back, but fitting, Karl thinks as he finds himself on the bar stool directly next to Bianca. It was as if some giant hand had picked him up from across the room, where he was, and set him directly next to this gorgeous beast of a woman. She turns and directs her attention to him, and looks surprisingly delighted. Not exactly the reaction Karl had anticipated but also not a complaint in sight.

"Karlllll Currrr!" Bianca yells over to him. What a chick, hahaha.

"How are you doin, girl? It's been forever!" Karl spews out, she just continues to sing along with the song, almost ignoring his vague ass question.

"I can't get mad cuz you look at me, cuz on the real, LOOK AT ME." Bianca sings along then asks, "What's up with you?"

"You are looking at it. Single again! If that interests you?" Karl boldly teases. She smiles, stands up and motions to Karl to come dance, there is an open spot where a band usually plays.

They begin to dance and it is just like heaven. Karl initiates conversation.

"So what are you doing nowadays? Where are you stayin'?"

"Oh, I'm a back up dancer for a few different artists and I am just home for Christmas. Visiting the fam, you know? How about you, K? What's your deal?"

"I'm hanging with mom, Val and I split. It's all good. What about dude? He looked pretty mad." Karl pries.

"Oh he's whatever. He has some unrealistic expectations. Not really my thing. Sorry to hear about Val and what not."

"Thanks, time to move on right?!" Karl states, optimistically.

"Right." she smiles.

The pair dance a lot that evening, drink, share, converse and ultimately end up making out in the back seat of her car at bar closing time. A much needed night of carefree wonder for Karl and Bianca as well.

Karl awoke in his bed that Sunday morning, alone, and with the memories of the evening before mixed in with some crazy dream he was still trying to process. He dreamt of Romulus and Remus with some other Roman Mythology tangled in his mind. Not a thing he normally showed interest in, except Bianca of course. He quickly forgets the dream and focuses back on the night before. Damn, he thinks, was that a dream too? He snatches his cell phone off of the charger and quickly checks his text messages.

Beyanca- Good morning sexy

Karl remembers her programming her name into his phone while they were sitting her car and choosing the funny spelling of her name. Like a hybrid of her name and Beyonce. She's funny.

Karl- Hey gurl, good morning to you…

Wow, this is really happening, God is too damn good. He looks over at his Bible with confidence and continues to slip on his house shoes and take on the day. He hasn't felt this light on his feet in months and it feels great. What is up with that dream though, seriously? As much as he diverts his thoughts to Bianca, the dream and more of what transpired in his mind that night, starts to seriously resonate with him. The man in the loin cloth looks a lot like him and he kills 'The King' before he wakes up. The King looks a lot like Mark, some douchebag that works in the HR department at the factory Karl is employed at. The man that he suspects is seducing his wife. Karl hits his knees and prays, he remembers that ill will and thoughts are subject for time with Jesus. Plus, there are better and more exciting pastures to focus on.

The feeling of infatuation with Bianca coupled with rage towards Mark from fucking HR consume his thoughts throughout his day. The roads are shit so he listens to a lot of music and reflects. There is no way he will be able to sleep before his graveyard shift at work tonight. He accepts this and moves on with his day. As he sits in traffic he puts the playlist on shuffle and just sits and listens as the traffic jam seems to not let up anytime soon. The song Burn by The Cure plays first, describing and feeling exactly this way, he can't help this feeling that something big, something major is going to happen soon and soon feels a lot like tonight. It is normally a song Valerie would choose to listen to but he seems to enjoy the feeling this song gives him. A power almost, an insatiable rage.

"I'm going to kick his fucking ass." Karl says out loud to himself as he sits in the cold, dark car. The only lights in sight are the red brake lights from the traffic jam and the spaced out street lights on the otherwise dark stretch of highway. He is on his way to "work" now and makes this decision to himself in solid certainty. The next song on the shuffle is Don’t Touch Me by Busta Rhymes. His favorite song to date and it certaintly pumps him up to the task at hand.

Back with the most venomous rap

It be the godfather of the club banger let me hear you clap

You can applause and from the very beginning

You can give me a standin' ovation while I'm bangin' your face in

With another banger I call it the cliffhanger

Watch me mangle and strangle this whole rap shit

(Come On)

 Fuck this job, he's thinking. I hate it anyway, I'll find a new one, I got a couple bucks in the bank and I am done with this hoe shit. Karl makes his way to the factory, just as pumped up as when he was sitting on the highway. He puts the car in park and his keys in his pocket. He walks to the front door of the plant and sees Mark standing there, looking like the douche that he so very much is. Karl cocks back his right fist and punches Mark directly in between the eyes, knocking him out cold before he hits the wall then the ground. A few of the guys from the plant tend to Mark as he is laying on the ground while Karl turns back towards his car gets in and peels out of the driveway. The playlist is still on shuffle as he drives down the street on the way home. It's Fast Car by Tracy Chapman, Dad's favorite song. At that moment he knew that he was right with God and that his father would and will be proud. This feeling of God's Grace washed over and saturated him. He is willing to accept the consequences and he knows that no matter what, everything will be better than okay.

So remember when we were driving, driving in your car

Speed so fast I felt like I was drunk

City lights lay out before us

And your arm felt nice wrapped 'round my shoulder

And I had a feeling that I belonged

And I had a feeling I could be someone

Be someone, be someone

Karl makes it 8 more days with a modified list of New Years' resolutions. These need to be fulfilled by midnight and must follow him into the New Year. He prays for a new and better place of work that will never mind his brand new assault charge, better communication with Val and an amicable split and to make Bianca his girl. He makes his way through these last few hours, starts a nice chat with Val and they agree on some solid plans. Karl has a second interview scheduled at a company he's always wanted to work for and Bianca is coming by the house for a small family get together. She's totally into me, he thinks as he puts his phone in his pocket and closes the bathroom door. He kneels to pray and thank Jesus for all he has done for him this day and when he stands and faces the mirror he sees Romulus for a split second. The same form as the dream and Karl appears, at the very least, 6 inches taller than he was before. He breathes and smiles as he hears Lil Wayne's 6'7 playing from his phone in his pocket.

Excuse my charisma, vodka with a spritzer

Swagger down pat, call my shit Patricia

Young Money militia, and I am the commissioner

You no' wanna start Weezy, cause the F is for finisher

So misunderstood, but what's a world without enigma?

December 28, 2020 16:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.