0 comments

Western Fiction Speculative

Small ideas may grow in gigantic proportions to benefit or may not benefit a person's life. Can you imagine how a husband leads his family using this way of thinking. Clemens and wife Emily has opposing views on how to apply house rules to their four children. While Emily looks differently how to raise her kids Clemens is authoritative and imposing rules to be followed strictly. These has cause daily frictions inside their household. Clemens apply rules he heard from others that annoyed Emily. Their children are in their formative years who could easily assimilate what they hear and react to them One day Clemens came home to tell Emily they will start to attend a new church which seems to be conventional and imposing strict rules on everything from food which they call clean and unclean to church practices, It is totally different where Emily's church was practicing. To avoid severe family conflict Emily has to follow the order of Clemens. Small things like letting Jane their eldest not to go to the college where she was qualified after passing their entrance examination is a big question to Emily. Why don't he follow their child's choice to where she likes to attend? Clemens says his choice for his daughter is better because it was the advice of their pastor and he don't like to go against his wishes. Emily cannot understand why Clemens blindly follows the church practices and even church contribution was mandatory that it became a burden for the family's budget. Clemens keep saying God provides to the thought that Emily feels giving was not from the heart but by force. As if the family has no more freedom to decide for themselves but Clemens imposed what the church instructed what he would do to his family. How hard Emily tries to adjust to these changes in her life when she can worship the way she wanted with no stringent measures to follow like attending church festivals claiming it is the foretaste of the coming kingdom of the Creator of the Universe. Also it is not a simple rule to observe the Day of Rest when working is prohibited and the income becomes lesser her employer warned Emily may not keep her work in the factory but Clemens sticks to the rule even if Emily lose her job she can find another one. Emily is confused the way Clemens imposed these church doctrines. she is wondering where their life direction is going. Clemens focus is not the welfare of his family but the welfare of the church they were attending. Emily with her four children talked secretly and discussed things Clemens is not aware of. Emily feels a bit of relief hearing what are in the minds of Jane, Julie, John and Jim. She asks them what they would like to do and they started to be more open about their accomplishments as their father seemed not to be interested to hear them. The only thing they hear from him is what he wants them to do forcing them to listen taking him long period to expound that his children even lost their patience to listen being impertinent hearing the negative side if they will not follow what he says. Emily clandestinely comforts her children because she knew Clemens was going too far on what he wanted to impart to the young minds of his children. Can you imagine when he says if you do this, this will happen to you, Why not do this for your own good. What is that "good" was not clear to his children as he speaks in general terms. They cannot grasp what he wanted them to do and telling the negative consequence was unreal. Emily keeps her watch over her children's welfare supervising their school assignments and follow-up their school activities. These made her children more open what they wanted to do and gave them a sense of direction. They keep their distance to their father. Once they say a word Clemens didn't like, it was the start of a long lecture or sermon. He will press the worst scenario that would happen so the more his children becomes alienated to him. Later on, they refuse lazy and to go with him to attend their church services. They cannot explain why but that was their feeling. They cannot speak out to Clemens that what he is doing is too much to bear. His beliefs and church practices does not give them a sense of security happiness and a good future. Clemens didn't give his children a chance to explain but he bombarded them with harsh admonitions that they will not be saved for the sins they have committed. Clemens talking of forgiveness doing this to Emily when Emily is irritated. He would say "You can commit 70x7 and be forgiven if you ask it." Emily's philosophy is "why not commit sin so you will not ask forgiveness". Since Emily's wish for her children are to shower them all the love and efforts to support and supply what they need they were able to reach their goals and graduated from the courses of their choice. Totally his children have left the church. What will Clemens do after they have left the church? He asks Emily why. Emily didn't say a word or else she will get a long lecture in which he could not pick the lesson knowing Clemens will be saying non-sensible insensitive words to Emily which hurt her feelings and emotions. Emily didn't miss to remind her children to express their own beliefs and the most important is to spend their time with wholesome activities. she asks them who are the people they spend time with to make sure they are not in a wrong group that can influence their decisions and the way they see what life is. To Emily as long as they follow the right way and stay away from disturbing situations they can have the ability to think the most important things to benefit themselves. Their own dreams, their own plans must be also put into action to get the benefit and improve their life situation. Clemens sticks the way he wanted his kids to be, to follow him. But they cannot follow his instructions when they know it will not be for their own welfare. That is when Clemens will order his command. A command that has no power to be followed when all endurance and patience are exhausted. Did Clemens thought what are the consequences his purposes and actions would do to his family? The trends of his thoughts are false perceptions and imaginations far from realty. He is not able to implement the church rules and can't accept the result and why it happened. In his mind maybe the church has something to do so he went to another church but do you think he can resolve and restore his family's confidence respect and loyalty to him"

October 09, 2022 03:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.