0 comments

Fiction Romance Friendship

Older Date                                                                                              

It’s a warm summer evening and David is busy writing about himself to an unknown responder on a new date site. As he writes he is thinking to himself, this is far different from the days when I use to send a note to a possible date, asking for her phone number and pick up for next Saturday night’s dance…..I have recently taken up employment here, having spent most of my living in the north, how about you? He waits, wondering if his trying to reconnect his social life this way will work. Yeah, I know I want a new relationship but it can’t be the first thing one says, especially when it is not face to face. He gets up from his couch and goes to the kitchen to make himself a coffee, as he waits for a response to his opening introduction.

As he does so, his mind goes into archive overdrive, stirring up his teen years of dating, dancing and after party joy rides in his good old Zephyr…while humming Dean Martin’s, ‘That’s Amore’. Just as he makes his drink, there is a ping sound from the lounge, and he quickly returns to his present engagement….online date site….response….Hi David, I like that you are new here,….. He continues to read and writes, nice profile pictures, where are they taken? I am interested in knowing more about you...…my opinion is that we are in a better country at this time….their chatting continues for the next 15 minutes as David wonders when it will shift to the actual first date, as he types,…. nice chatting with you Mary, maybe we can have a coffee next week and talk about seeing the movie you have mentioned? The chat closes with the promise to do the same tomorrow night and there’s an exchange of love hearts.

Being summer, the morning is bright and David prepares himself breakfast, then sits at the breakfast bar, reading the papers front page. Next it is the business section, to read the review he wrote on the Reserve Bank’s response to the housing price crises. Satisfied with what he wrote, he peruses other interests and subconsciously turns to the movie section, scanning for the movie mentioned by Mary. Ah, Mary he says to himself; nice profile pictures, her chats came across as very confident, this might go somewhere, he chuckles aloud. Now for today, Saturday; shall I do my usual, or go and see my brother? I wonder what he would have to say, about his older bro giving online dating a spin. Especially when he chatted to me over Christmas about giving it a go; nothing too serious, just a new way to interface with a stranger without being embarrassed. He finishes breakfast, put dishes in the dishwasher, and goes to the bathroom.

Adjusting to living on his own, has taken some time maybe a bit more difficult than he first thought. It is five years coming Easter since he got that sad and unexpected phone call telling him Jean had died in a multi car accident. While he coped preparing the family for the news and dealing with the issue of burial, it has a haunting grip on his emotions when driving out of the city. It may be a nice day but it is the inner wrestle he goes through to persuade himself to get in his car and travel through the city to the open speed of the freeway into the countryside. Why his brother chose to relocate sometimes annoys him, but today it seems okay. Though there is an internal emotional struggle and bouts of actual pain, it is less of a struggle today, as he gives a ‘thumbs up’ sign to Jean’s white cross. He knows he cannot push her death onto his brother; how would he have known that his moving into a lifestyle block was going to result in the death of his sister in law.

*  * * *

While David is driving out to have the day with his brother, Mary prepares herself to visit her good friend Sue. Sue is a long-time friend to whom she has come to for emotional help, is expecting her, not that she knows of Mary’s last night dateline chat. She smiles to herself as she recalls that thirty minute chat and the most handsome profile pictures she has seen for a while. He was polite, interested in her, asking about her likes and being prepared to make the suggestion of a date; of course it would be a ‘yes’ even though it was chat number one!

Mary gathers her wits and tennis bag as she goes to the garage to set off for her ‘tennis date’ with Sue. The thought of a date, makes her heart flutter, telling herself not be like her teenage self, and to be true to her real age. Much has taken place since those years, life has been rough if not brittle but she is now a mature lady. She messages Sue to confirm they’re still meeting and telling her she is on her way. While driving across the city to the country tennis club Mary tunes into the local talk back radio. The topic, as most Saturdays of late, is the rising house prices that most places across the country are experiencing. The host is using the morning paper’s business section as the talking point and apparently is referring to a journalist write up on the Reserve Banks. As Mary catches up with the momentum of the topic, she hears the name ‘David’ being linked to the article, and processes bits of last night’s chat. There is a sense of a possibility that this ‘David’ must be her David to which she has another flutter, thinking, wait till I tell Sue my David must be the business journalist we both have many a time discussed, even going as far as rehearsing dating lines.

She again, feels flustered but excited. 

Her phone rings and a text message appears on the car screen, Sue is affirming their date and is on her way. Mary can’t wait, she puts her phone on speaker and calls Sue, hoping she will do the same and not ignore her call.

‘Hi Sue, I’ve got a surprise and it can’t wait, I have to tell you’ she says, with excitement and actually hears Sue pause while imaging her questioning facial look.

‘Yes, well tell me if you can’t wait another twenty minutes’.

Mary speaks, ‘I’m going to have a date with that journalist David we have talked about. You know the one we sometimes act out as a date’.

Sue’s response is rather deflating, ‘are you for real or kidding me? How would you have organised this, you don’t even know him and furthermore you would be too embarrassed to ask’.

‘No, I am certain it is him’, she says, ‘I’ll tell you more when we see each other. My conclusion is it must be him, I can’t wait to tell you. See you there’ as she prepares to hang up before Sue can think of her next interrogating question.

‘David the journalist, sheesh, I don’t belief it’! Sue is heard to say, as Mary hangs up.

* * * * *

The countryside tennis courts are a means for both middle aged ladies to get out of their respective homes. Both being local girls, they have always respected each other’s opinions on many matters, today will be no different as far as Sue is concerned. Both cars appear in the parking lot more or less together. Mary, gives herself a quick look in the mirror and sees Sue is already locking her car. Mary does likewise and signals the club house, where there is a weekend coffee cart nearby; her idea is they both get a coffee and listen to the story of her online date chat the other night.

Mary nearly trips as she rushes, dropping her tennis bag. Sue, sees it, holds her hand over her mouth, noticing how Mary manages to keep herself upright. They meet, order their coffees and select a table in the sun and Mary, fully recovered, plunges into her Friday night date chat with David.

Sue can’t do much more than listen with her mouth open as Mary reiterates the procedure of date line chatting, with this middle aged man called ‘David’. She then explains how while listening to the local Saturday talk back, she has come to the conclusion it must be the journalist man they have often spoken of and that there could be an actual date with him!

* * * * *

David finds himself turning into his brother’s property, acknowledging the country’s setting as being therapeutic. His brother Ian comes toward him as he gets out of his car, extends his hand to shake and welcome him. Inside the suggestion is they head on down to the local tennis club as soon as possible, for club day doubles.

Ian, tells David, ‘Pam is already there because she is with the local club whereas I’m a casual, but I still like a bit of tennis, don’t you’?

Before there is an answer Ian indicates they better leave now to get there for the fun of playing mixed doubles, as he escorts David out towards his car. David is relaxed and okay with a bit of tennis, which is a family game though Jean didn’t really take to it, she would come to watch and look after the children.

At the club Pam is busy organising the mixed doubles, she counts those there and those coming to realise she is two ladies short to make it possible for all the men to have a game. She looks up to see the same two ladies she has seen and met before, playing to the side. She wonders if they’d be willing to try a bit of serious mixed doubles, and plucks up the courage to go and ask.

 Mary and Sue stop playing as they see a lady getting closer.

 ‘Hi, I am Pam, I think we have met before, you’re Mary but I’ve forgotten your name’, turning to Sue. Sue acknowledges Pam’s memory, states her name, remarking that the club seems busier than usual, is there a club meet? Sue is pleased for the opening, ‘Yes, and in fact we are short of two ladies to complete a club mixed double; I’ve come over to ask if you’d both like to fill in, so all the men get a game. We ladies need two more, because my husband is here with David, his brother, who came from the city for the day.  Sue, glances at Mary aware that the name ‘David’ is rather precious right now, to see Mary turn her head toward a group of men.

‘Yeah, why not’ Sue answers for them both.

 Pam smiles, ‘Great, see you in front of the club within fifteen, thanks again, the men will be pleased each will get their game on such a nice day’.

Mary and Sue, converse discussing the pros and cons of sparing with the mystery David. Considering she has three ‘David’s’ twirling around her thoughts, Mary is preoccupied evaluating which one she will ace!

Sue interjects her thoughts saying, ‘40 love’, and lets out a girlish laugh, causing Mary to drop her racket as they near the club house. She returns a friendly wink, bends to pick it up just as a hand is bringing it up to her. As she straightens herself up within touching distance is a well-shaped middle aged man, causing a brief touch of skin, as he hands her the racket, saying,

‘The pleasure is mine, have fun playing this afternoon. See you both on court’.

The afternoon truly is warm as tennis players run about the courts, playing pretty good tennis, with the odd shout; 15 love, out, 15 all, 30-15, 30 all, 30-40, deuce. As for the two city girls they have fared well against their male opponents, winning a few sets and matches. It is the last round, they approach court three, two men introduce themselves as Ian and David; Mary is obliged to acknowledge David (the one closest to her), because he earlier handed her, her racket.

Mary becomes self-conscious, of holding eye contact maybe a bit too long, but it seemed like he locked her gaze and she couldn’t divert her eyes. Sunglasses come to the rescue as she adjusts them, he whispers ‘May the best team win’.

 Sue and Mary serve first and from then on it is serious rallying as the men have the city girls more or less rushing from net to base line, to retrieve drop shots which nearly outwit them. Ian and David too, are given the run around, causing David to even outwit himself, as he works his backhand to their advantage. Coming to the net to shake hands all four are perspiring and breathing heavily.  Both teams have played good hard tennis but the men have to concede the city girls to be the winners.

* * * * *

Coming out from the ladies Mary and Sue are chatting, feeling pleased about themselves on winning their last game. The club has filled and it looks like a sea of white, as they scan for somewhere to sit. Then out of the blue, who comes to the rescue but David with a broad smile. He, shows them to their table along with Ian and Pam; ‘Drinks are on us’, he says, as he asks Mary what she’d like, 'beer or wine? Though you seem to be the lady who likes a wine, I need to ask so not to be accused of second guessing'. Pam, holds her wine and says ‘Cheers to the city girls for winning against the country boys, giving them a rally for their money’.

Sue, holds hers and replies, ‘It was fun to crush them, the best team won’!

 The chat centres on country lifestyle living as Mary tries various manoeuvres to work out which David she has warmed too. Conversation centres on him, telling them how he is adjusting to single living and his journalist vocation, (Mary breaths a nearly audible sigh of relief), as David continues to speak of his family, and the loss of Jean. Mary is now certain that this is the ‘David’ from last night dateline chat and the papers journalist but how does she ask him, is the question.

Ian and Pam show surprise at David’s open chatting to the city girls, about his life, as he continues to say more, ‘Jean’s father apparently impregnated a young girl and was advised not to marry her. He moved to the North Island for work and a new life. The young mum and baby stayed south, finding support from family and friends. Sometime back Jean had decided to take a DNA test and that is when the possibility of a step sister came to light. She guessed they must be of a similar age and was in the process of further investigation, when the car accident happened’ adding ‘I do have the test results’.

Realisation dawns upon Mary, that this must be the ‘David’ she chatted with last night and finds the inner will to openly ask him by coming straight out with her question;

‘David, are you the dateline David who I was chatting with last night’?

David is clearly elated replying ‘Wow, are you the Mary’!

Surprise is expressed by both at the coincidence of such a happening, as the others also express their wonderment and excitement. 

Pam announces that they have decided to dine at the local country club, and for Mary and Sue to join them. Mary at this point is too interested in David and hesitates. Sue comes to her aid by saying ‘Nice, but they need to return home’.

All five raise their glasses and drink; David is beaming, Mary is hooked while the other three look on knowing they are about to witness an off the court singles. 

At this David stands, comes towards Mary, ‘Don’t worry about a date line chat, how about a real life chat, at the Waterfront Restaurant tomorrow for brunch’?

 Mary blushes, looks at him and answers, ‘Yes’.

David, speaks his thoughts aloud, ‘I can’t help but wonder how much like Jean you are’, as he lightly kisses both her cheeks.

Now it is Mary’s turn to be true to her feelings; ‘Brunch with you will be lovely. Out there on the courts you played so much like my late Jim, that I had to remind myself he died five years ago. If life has surprises, family ties are the most likely places to find them – maybe you’re his unknown twin’. She smiles and gives him a light embrace, saying to him as well as to Ian and Pam,

‘Thanks for the lovely day at the country tennis club’.

Sue stands, picks up their bags, and walks away while Mary turns to acknowledge David with an air kiss. 

word count: 2845

February 18, 2021 07:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.