28 comments

American Romance Sad

A life long lived is filled with reminders of days gone by. Some of those memories are housed exclusively in the mind, while others can be found gathering dust in closets, garages, or attics. It was in the latter where Edna found one such keepsake. The unexpected discovery brought her a rush of joy followed by inevitable sadness and—against her better judgment—she decided to share the find with her husband of almost sixty years, Gilbert.


“Gilly, look what I found in that old chest.” 


The leather-faced old man with coke bottle glasses didn’t even have the courtesy to look up from his newspaper.

“What you got there?” he asked, more as a conditioned response than with any genuine interest.


“It’s your heart, Gilly. You haven’t actually lost it. It was just hidden in your chest—in the attic.” The old woman let out a small chuckle. “Your heart was in your chest. Get it?”


“What the hell are you talking about, woman? Can’t you see I’m reading my paper? You know I hate to be interrupted while I’m reading.”


“Forget it,” the old woman muttered. “It doesn’t matter anymore anyway.”


“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Gilbert said as he put down his paper. “What did you find?”


Edna knew her husband was just trying to placate her, but she had been taught by years of silence to grasp the conversations when they came. It would be a while before the next opportunity arose.


“It’s the first box of candy you ever bought me,” she replied, handing the old red box to her husband.


“It’s empty.” He said after he wiped the dust off, using a handkerchief he pulled out of his back pants pocket.


“Well, of course, it’s empty now, you old fool. But sixty years ago it was full of the best chocolates I'd ever tasted. You gave it to me outside the movie theater.”


“I remember. It was actually our first real date," Gilbert said with a rare smile. "We got something to eat at Larry’s Diner and then headed to the theater. What movie did we see?”


Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Don’t you remember? You sang ‘Moon River’ to me every day for a month.”


“I did, didn’t I? If I remember correctly—I embarrassed the hell out of you. You kept begging me to stop.”


“I did, but I have a secret. I actually loved it. You had such a nice voice.”


“Had?”


“You don’t sing anymore.”


Gilbert looked down at the red heart-shaped box in his hand. “I don’t know if I ever told you this, but I borrowed the money to buy this from my dad. I told him I needed to give it to you on that very day. He asked why it was so important. I told him it was Valentine’s Day. He laughed when I reminded him, and he loaned me the money.”


“Your dad bought it?”


“No, I repaid him that Friday when I got my paycheck. What do you know? I had forgotten all about that, too.”


“I knew that day I was going to marry you, Gilly. I gave you my heart that day, too.”


“Don’t be ridiculous. No one knows anything about love on their first date.”


“I did.”


“You were just a silly little girl.”


“Maybe so, but you were a very smitten little boy.”


“I was not.”


“You were. You wrote my name everywhere.”


“Everywhere?”


“Yes, everywhere. On your textbook covers, on your science folder—heck, you even carved my name on that old oak out back at your parents’ house. Each one had a heart surrounding it.”


“How do you remember all that?” Gilbert asked, looking again at the memory in his hand.


“I remember because I never hid my heart in the attic.”


“That’s not fair,” Gilbert responded, even though it probably was.


“I’ve realized that life’s not fair,” Edna said as she reached out unsuccessfully to take back the keepsake from her husband. “You made me a lot of promises.”


“Promises?”


“Yes, promises. Some were spoken, others implied, but you used them to steal my heart.”


“I stole your heart? I thought I won your heart.”


“Only kept promises keep a girl’s heart.”


“So you’re saying...”


“I’m saying you stole my heart.”


“Haven’t I kept my promises?" Gilbert asked. “I worked hard to provide for you and the kids.”


“Yes, you worked hard, and we never wanted for things—but you didn’t promise me things.”


“You don't understand, it’s a man’s job to provide. I gave you a home and a car and nice clothes.”


“No, you don't understand. It’s a husband's job to love his wife. I needed songs and romantic movies and hearts filled with chocolate.”


“So all my hard work meant nothing? This house, our life, nothing?”


“Of course it does, but it isn’t what you promised me all those years ago in front of a movie theater. You don’t remember, do you?”


“Remember what?”


“What you said when you gave me this box of candy.”


“I do remember. I told you my heart was yours forever.”


“And what did I say?”


“You said you would hold it tightly forever, too.”


“And haven't I? I still have this heart. I’ve held on to it all these decades. Doesn’t that tell you what I wanted?”


“You wanted a smitten little boy.”


“Yes, I did. I do. Is that too much to ask? I’m not just a wrinkled old woman, Gilly. I’m still that silly little girl who saved an empty heart-shaped box for over sixty years.”


“I don’t know what to say. I’ve always done my best to make you happy."


“Fine, you’ve done your best," Edna responded, trying to hide her tears. "I guess I should be grateful. Who needs love and romance when you can have things? I guess I really am no longer that silly little girl and you sure aren’t that lovesick boy.”


Without asking, she reached down and snatched the heart-shaped box out of her husband's hands and walked towards the kitchen.


“Where are you going?” Gilbert asked.


“I’m going to do what I should have done a long time ago., I’m going to throw this worthless piece of garbage in the trash.”


“Wait! You can’t do that,” Gilbert said, as he jumped up from his chair.


“I can’t? Why not?" Edna asked as she turned back towards her husband. "What is so important that I shouldn’t throw it in the trash this very second?”


“You know perfectly well why...” Gilbert said as he took the box out of his wife’s hands.


"No, I don't. Tell me this second," Edna insisted.


“Because it's garbage day, woman. You know it should go in the can outside.”


With that, he walked to the curb to dispose of his heart correctly, his ears too old to hear the door lock behind him. 

December 23, 2022 18:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Kelsey H
09:17 Dec 25, 2022

I love how the story of this couple is told through their conversation, and you give a great feel for them and how they have moved through life going from being young and in love to this point they are older and both seem distant and worn down. Their different thoughts of what was important in marriage was so good, I love Edna talking about his heart and how he just didn't get what she was expressing. I especially appreciate the ending as instead of taking a sentimental turn it stuck with realistic.

Reply

Thom With An H
09:27 Dec 25, 2022

This comment means so much to me. I’m a sucker for a happy ending but I love a real ending even more. It felt hard to leave them where I did but it felt like anywhere else would have felt fake. Thanks for getting it. It validated me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ernest Karibo
01:04 Jan 19, 2023

Wow,it made me miss my girlfriend 😂😂😂I love this story men,i will recommend my friends to read it❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ernest Karibo
01:04 Jan 19, 2023

Wow,it made me miss my girlfriend 😂😂😂I love this story men,i will recommend my friends to read it❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristin Neubauer
23:31 Jan 13, 2023

Hah! I love it! I was prepared for it to end with some sweet and touching resolution....and it didn't. That is a perfectly placed surprise. And great dialogue too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Calvin Kirby
21:37 Jan 03, 2023

Great story, Thom! It was touching and brought back memories of Linda and my life together. I remember singing Moon River to Linda on one of our first dates. We'll be married 60 years in April. I think I am a little more tender-hearted than Gilly, but maybe Linda should desire that. Happy New Year and look forward to future stories and more interactions with our literary group. Cal😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie Burges
10:50 Dec 31, 2022

Another excellent story. I loved the last line. I felt so satisfied knowing half-wit Gilbert was outside with the rubbish. Excellent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
08:04 Dec 30, 2022

I was looking for the 'horror' tag- Gilbert treated his wife to a life of work for a broken promise! He is lucky she didnt take a chef's knife to his real heart! Good description of how love can be 'promised' but lost ' in closets, garages, or attics.'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
07:19 Dec 30, 2022

The husband didn’t truly listen to what his wife wanted and was fixated on material things. They had different needs and from her point of view, he’d never really listened to what she needed after the first flush of love. This was a sad story, but very true to life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laurel Hanson
17:28 Dec 29, 2022

Wow, did not see that ending coming. Well done. A great story about a fundamental failure to communicate, neatly and gently rendered into a simple heart-shaped story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Francis Daisy
03:00 Dec 29, 2022

I was ever so hopeful right up until the end that their conversation would have that "break through" moment of Hallmark clarity, but it was ever so much more a reality check that some couples and conversations never change. Great story! Your couple came right off the page and I could hear their voices and see him snag the heart as he walked to the curb to the can.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Edward Latham
00:15 Dec 28, 2022

That ending was excellent Thom! It had me almost laugh out loud when he said 'Because it's garbage day, woman.' And then a second later it made me sad. It was the subversion of the expected as I thought Gilbert was going to realise the error of his ways, but alas he did not! I guess in life not all love is recoverable from the passages of time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Catucci
21:39 Dec 27, 2022

Are you kidding me?! Thom, please, tone down the perfection, will you? There is so much to these words, this story. What honest human couldn't confess to one or more of these true emotions? You unfailingly bring my own emotions to the surface, whether I'm ready or not (and, truth be told, I don't mind a bit). You've probably saved me a small fortune in therapy. I'd comment on specifics but then I'd be here far longer than any of us has time for. Suffice to say, I love this.

Reply

Thom With An H
23:03 Dec 27, 2022

You are making it very hard for me to feed my imposter syndrome. Seriously thank you so much. I struggle with finding different voices when I write so you really encourage me. Thanks for being such a good Reedsy friend.

Reply

Susan Catucci
23:36 Dec 27, 2022

It's not hard, Thom - and the connections are priceless.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lindsay Flo
13:29 Dec 27, 2022

Aww man. This is what we all never want to happen, but it's probably more realistic than not! I like how she locked him out...good! You have a great sense of dialogue in all of your stories that keep the pacing plummeting along. Enjoyable read as always :)

Reply

Thom With An H
23:13 Dec 27, 2022

Lindsay, your words mean so much to me. I am in awe of your ability to paint pictures with words so a compliment from you is held in my highest regard. Thanks for the encouragement it means more than you know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karin Cavanagh
05:49 Dec 27, 2022

What a great story! The banter between the two characters is realistic, along with the situation. It was a very warm, yet sad story. I loved the twist at the end with him wanting to dispose of the box in the outside bin as opposed to inside. And then she locked him out! Ha! he deserved it (in my opinion, lol). Lovely story and well written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
03:21 Dec 27, 2022

Oiy. Deeply emotional, dare I say "important." So... If we meet your wife, is she gonna shame us on how great a hubby you are? (Don't answer that. Especially if you're going to shock us with something). Takeaway, I'm going to get off the computer and do something nice for my wife so that she does not throw away anything. (Thank you) Clappa clappa.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Korinne H.
23:31 Dec 26, 2022

I love how, in such a short scene, you managed to tell so much, both relationship history and who Edna and Gilbert are as people. I feel as though I know their relationship very well. Great writing, sad story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
A. Neptune
07:16 Dec 26, 2022

This was both sweet and sad. The ending made complete sense for the character, and I could tell how much she wanted Gilbert to tell her to keep it. For him to understand why she'd kept it, to begin with, but he just doesn't. Even I wanted him to understand!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Raey Kubiak
02:08 Dec 26, 2022

I really enjoyed your piece. The truth is, the more I walk into a marriage the more I relate to your preferred end rather than the happy end version. Very very well written!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Lehnert
06:25 Dec 25, 2022

How could you write a logical ending , Thom. Dare I suggest you don’t know much about women. We are all that silly little girl. Thank goodness. No, it was a powerful story, I keep thinking about. The sign of a very well written piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cassandra Adams
23:07 Dec 24, 2022

Wow! That was an unexpected ending, but very effective. I thought he was going to start singing Moon River. I must be a silly little girl! Great story! Sad, but definitely believable.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.