0 comments

Suspense High School Drama

I knew it was wrong, I knew it was wrong but I just couldn't help myself. I couldn’t resist the temptation. I wanted to feel her skin against mine, feel her gaze on me. Hear her voice. I wanted to wake up, and roll over, and see her skin glisten under the sun as the rays peek through my busted bedroom window. I needed her, she kept me intact with my humanity. And her voice, ugh her voice. She made me whole again, she completed me, and made me feel alive. She gave my cold, lifeless, hopeless body life. She filled.. the void.


You must be confused, let me take you back a little…


My name is Tyler and I'm just about the worst person alive to live in the entire history of the living. I fell in love with my brother's girlfriend, WHILE they were together. 


“Oh my god, I am so sorry. I'm just the world's biggest klutz aren't I?” There she was, with her flared denim jeans, and her fitted lace blouse. Her clothes hugged her to a tee, like they were made for her, and though she dressed so simply her aura screamed extraordinary. I had seen her for all of five seconds, but there was a magnetic pull between us. I just felt so drawn to her. I needed to know everything about her, and I had a feeling she wanted to know everything about me.


“It's really not a problem, don't worry about it. I can just buy another shirt.” My brother replied back, and he meant what he said. Oh my brother, far from what I am. He was the good brother, the polite brother. He had everything a girl could want: being empathic, artistic, understanding and everything I would never be. One thing led to another and eventually, Stevie fell for Tyrin. And it was the perfect love story, or the beginning of one anyways. But how could she not, he could fulfill the promises that he made. He took her to the ball dances, helped her with her homework, held the doors open for her, made her dinner, and guarded her heart with every ounce in his body.


Me on the other hand? I'm a piece of shit, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I know I didn't deserve her, but how could I not. I just couldn't resist, maybe it was her beauty, or her drive to care for people, or maybe it was the fact that she wanted to make me a better person. Who knows? 


I kept my distance, I'm not a complete asshole but it's like the universe kept putting us both in situations where we ended up running into each other. “Thank you so much, Mrs. Fell. I love a good seafood paella. I'm just gonna run to the bathroom and freshen up real quick.” I skipped dinner that night because that was the farthest situation I needed to be from. Her footsteps were getting closer, they were light and energetic. “Oh, my bad. I thought this was the bathroom.” There she was standing there in the frame of MY bedroom. Say something idiot , SPEAK. 


“Well clearly it's not, two doors on your left.” Sarcasm was a reflex for me, I didn't mean to push people away but I've been this way for a while, and I'd openly tell anyone that didn't like it to find a door and walk right through it. “ Okay wow, snarky much?” I looked at her for a few seconds and continued writing my paper. Despite how beautiful she was, I didn't have any time to spare considering this paper was due at midnight and I had all of five freaking words.


“These records are sick!” She walked in my room and began looking around. “ No way! You're a Led Zeppelin fan?” She's killing me here, could she have gotten any cooler? Beauty, brains, and taste. She continued admiring my record, and I continued IGNORING her. I didn't want to be the ass that stole his brother's girl. She had just picked up a first edition vinyl when-


*SPLAT*

In my head, I kept thinking to myself that this couldn't possibly get any worse because at this point they had been together for about 4 weeks. Four weeks of dinner and movie dates, four weeks of passing love notes in AP English, four weeks of hand holding, and most importantly four weeks of watching the girl I wanted the most love my brother. “ Tyler, I'm so sorry. I didn't me to-. The first day I met your brother I spilt a drink all over him too. I really didn't mean it.” She rambled on & on.

“ Ok you should stop rambling, I stopped writing ages ago.” She laughed at my remark. “Hey is that…'' It was two day whiskey that she knocked over onto some of my work.. “ I won't tell, I'll keep your dirty little secret trauma…”


“It's Tyler..” “Hmm, Led Zeppelin, first edition vinyl, and Jane Austen writing drenched in whiskey. Sounds like trauma to me love.” She walked out my room laughing, I did my best to pull my gaze off her and continue writing this wretched paper. 


-2 Days Later - 


“Hey hot stuff, burn a hole through that vinyl yet?” Somehow she managed to look a little better everyday and though she didn't know it, she was really pushing my buttons today. We were nearing May and the weather was beginning to rapidly pick up. She put her hair up today in a sleek high ponytail and her lime green sundress bounced as she walked down the hallway. “Hey Stevie! Love the dress !” Some girl trailed off in the distance. She looked back at me, she caught me starring at her, I quickly turned to my left.


Honestly, I can't take this anymore. There are a lot of things I can handle, I can take failing calculus, I can handle being the family disappointment, and I can even handle losing my best friend and yet somehow I couldn't take another minute of this. Sweet and innocent, that was her game, she was trying to get in my head with her Stevie tactics. 


“YO!” I backed her into a locker, and locked eyes with her. Her eyes were the perfect shade of green, I could stare into them forever but it wasn't why I was here. I could feel her breath against my neck. “What are you doing Stevie, what is this?” I asked sternly.


“I made a mistake Ty. It's you, it should be me and you..”


May 25, 2021 00:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.