8 comments

Fantasy Fiction LGBTQ+

There were no beds, outside of Peyr. Not as far as Jagos knew, at least. 


He and Mirdel slept on planks hoisted up into low marshland trees, for as long as the boughs would hold them. When they were intimate it was standing calf-deep in mud more often than not. They’d lean against their slobsled, the one that Mirdel had stolen and piled everything they owned onto, and they’d take each other rough.


That’s what made this such a treat, rolling around in feather-filled luxury. It wasn’t even a particularly nice mattress, frayed and clumpy, but the overbearing layers of blankets reminded Jagos of what few memories he had of his childhood before the exile. It was nice for him to lay Mirdel’s lithe body down onto a soft surface, to see the way that the disguise of a conservator’s robes draped across his partner.


“We can’t do this,” Mirdel let out in a giggling hush, “What if someone comes home?”


“That’s not gonna happen.” Jagos mumbled into Mirdel’s neck as he kissed.


Mirdel’s back arched. “They could be back sooner than you think though, and what then?”


“Relax, they’re not going to come back,” Jagos continued nonchalantly, “They’re dead.”


“What?” Mirdel sat himself up, pushing out from underneath Jagos. “What do you mean they’re dead?”


“They’re dead, so they aren’t gonna come back,” Jagos furrowed an exasperated brow “I don’t know any other way to say it.”


“Did you kill them?” Mirdel’s eyes darted around the foreign bedroom.


“No, fucking- no, I didn’t kill them, why do you think that’s something I’d do? I was scouting out, trying to find an easy mark, and I saw them fall off the ledge of the city.” Jagos pushed themselves up to standing, off of the bed.


“You were going to fuck me in a dead mans bed?” Mirdel didn’t let off, “That’s revolting.”


“It’s a bed. It’s not like he died in it, what’s the difference.” Jagos started around on irritated pacing. “Besides, we’re here to fucking rob the guy. We broke the fucking seal on respectability the moment we walked in the door.”


Mirdel gave a scrunched look like he had smelled something foul. “Whatever. Let’s just get this over with.”


So the two of them began to swipe what they needed. Food out of cabinets, medicines out of a small chest. A blanket that would roll up tight enough to fit in their bag.


For a second, when he shifted quietly past the door of the home, Jagos considered walking out. Just opening that door, and walking away. He didn’t, because he knew he’d be caught. Without Mirdel he wouldn’t be able to make it back down to the swamp and even if he did he wouldn’t be able to pull the slobsled out fast enough on his own.


He made the disguises, Mirdel picked the locks. Mirdel lit fires in the wet, he cooked. He slept, Mirdel watched, and then they switched. They needed each other, and in that need they worked to find some way to want.

February 09, 2024 18:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Will Willoughby
12:17 Feb 22, 2024

Hi, Morgan! Doubling back this morning, I realized I'd already seen your story and liked it! :-) What really stands out is the sensory detail (e.g., standing calf-deep in mud) and the contrasts (e.g., the planks vs. the feather-filled bed). Vivid, efficiently drawn details. Which makes me want more of them! I noticed you said you don't have immediate plans to expand this piece, but my only recommendation would be to expand this piece. Even if it's not intended as a standalone story, I'd recommend filling it out with quite a bit more deta...

Reply

Morgan Aloia
18:15 Feb 22, 2024

Hi Will, thanks for taking the time! I'm glad the imagery leant to the tone. It was definitely my intention to leave this one understated, to give that sense that these patterns are the ordinary for these characters. I appreciate the call for more. I generally write in anthology, I like the way that giving little windows into many different characters in the same setting can give a sort of impressionist's view of the whole. Once I've put something down I don't generally circle back, but you're the second to make that suggestion and so I mig...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:50 Feb 18, 2024

This did not go the way I was expecting! Loved it.

Reply

Morgan Aloia
19:39 Feb 18, 2024

Hey thanks Kimberly! Very kind of you to say. Out of curiosity, what way were you expecting it to go?

Reply

02:54 Feb 19, 2024

I thought they were sweet/passionate (maybe because of the words "soft" "giggled", mumbling into her neck) until "they're dead"!

Reply

Morgan Aloia
03:10 Feb 19, 2024

Heard haha, the arc I was intending worked. I think the point I was trying to convey was that, yes, they do have a sweetness with each other, but it's underpinned by this way of life thats characterized by a sort of desperation. The last line in this piece really captured what I was trying to say, the way that people can work to find want inside of need. Not a particularly healthy dynamic of love, but one that I've certainly seen played out. As a side note, both of these characters are men. Reading back through it I just realized that I ne...

Reply

04:04 Feb 19, 2024

Oops - Mirdel sounded to me like some women's names that are familiar to me (Mirabel, Delia, Miranda). But now I see that Mirdel sat "himself" up. I'm sorry about misgendering! A suggestion to your point about the last line -- If you wanted to expand the story, it sounds like you might have additional things to develop about the difference between need and want, and what it means for their relationship/ other relationships. Thanks again for a good read!

Reply

Morgan Aloia
07:34 Feb 19, 2024

That's a good point, definitely appreciate the feedback! I don't have any strong plans to expand on this piece per say, but I have written somewhere close to thirty other stories into this setting and it is a theme that threads them together for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.