0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Warning: Death

Kuro sat by the window, and poured her tea. She looked out into the sunset, and there was a dark feeling in the pit of her stomach. She'd seen this sunset before. She knew it meant death. Death for Sirius Kuragari. She rushed outside, only to see Sirius' back to the nearby cliff, talking to the person who'd kill him. And he didn't even know. She ran, and drew her wand.

"Arashi!" She yelled, and a green light flew from her wand, and hit the person in front of Sirius. The person she killed, Serana Sanguinera, was someone who she'd been looking for for a while, and she finally stopped her. But as she looked into Sirius' eyes, she could tell something was wrong.

"Did she hurt you, Sirius? Because I thought I got here in time to save you." His grey eyes, which were in shock earlier, were now full of anger. "What did you just do! She's on our side! And you killed her!" She sighed. "Yes, she's dead. But not on your side. I meant well. It's for the best, anyway." His left eye twitched.

"What did you just say? That you only meant well? Well of course you did! What did you think, that it's all for the best? Of course you did! What were you thinking when you decided this? Did you, even for a second consider that I knew that she would kill me? did you consider that I planned this, that there are other forces at work that you may not know of? That you singlehandedly destroyed my entire plan with one word? Well? ANSWER ME!" He demanded.

Kuro hung her head. "I didn't. I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. You normally plan things like this. I'm sorry, I just wanted to keep you safe from harm." She said, sheathing her wand. He sighed, the anger leaving his eyes. He kneeled over Serana's body, and cut his palm. Some of his blood spilt on her lips, and got in her mouth.

"It's fine. Kuro, look in my eyes." She pulled her head up. "Yes?" He frowned. "I'm sorry for yelling at you." She shook her head, but noticed something wrong with his eyes; they were blue, for a moment. She drew her Nagamaki.

"You aren't really Sirius, are you?" She questioned, slowly stepping closer. He looked up once more, standing. "I am, but I also am not. The others should be back soon. Please wait until then to kill me. Please." He whispered. His words reminded her what someone had said to her: "People say that omnipotence is the opposite of death. But it is through death we gain omnipotence."

She nodded. She knew what she must do. If the prophecies were true, if what the person said was true, then that is what must happen. 'Sirius knew this from the beginning,' She thought to herself, and suddenly, portals were opening everywhere, and people were carrying bodies. They were all Sirius' bodies, somehow.

There were even a few other people that weren't Blackstar members. They all instinctively knew what was going to happen, seeing only one more Sirius Kuragari left. "I'm sorry, Sirius."

He surprisingly smiled. "Don't be. You're freeing me. But do it quickly, before it hurts." He said, and she nodded. "I love you, Sirius," He smiled once more. "I love you too, Kuro." She took her nagamaki, and lightly pierced him in the heart, but still enough to kill him. When she took her blade out of his chest, he sat down crisscross.

White orbs of magic went out of the other Sirius' chests, and disappeared, The energy entered his. He smiled one more time, opened his eyes, and turned to stone, his final posture smiling at those he called family. They all cried, hugging each other. When they went into the building, they saw a letter. It was from Sirius, and said this:

"Hello. If you're reading this, it means that I am dead. Soon there will be a new leader to lead Blackstar and the world, into the New Era. In the meantime, Viktor will lead Blackstar, in my place. Don't be sad. I knew I was dying for a while. But I didn't want all of you to worry, so I lied and said everything was ok. But I chose my fate, not my illness. You all need to stay strong. The New World will need strong leaders. Nothing is ever permanent, so I won't be truly gone.

But there is one final thing I need you to do just in case I am truly gone. Forget me, and forget who I was. After you read this, I'll be no more than a stranger to you. I know it will be hard. But I know you can do it. I've always had faith in you. If I didn't, Blackstar wouldn't exist. But don't cry. Don't let a stranger's death make you cry.

Goodbye for now, Blackstar,

Sirius Kuragari."

They were all still. They all couldn't believe that he was dead. "He's dead. Sirius is dead. Sirius is... gone." Said someone, and people started crying. Viktor stood on the table and gathered everyone's attention. "Blackstar! We have a mission. A goal. We knew that there would be death, even our own, at any time. We can't let that stop us. It's what we have to do. It's what Sirius would want. I mean... It's what that person would want." He said. And everyone started nodding.

He got off of the table, and everyone started hugging each other. They knew it would be hard, but everything would change. Blackstar will have a new leader, and so will the New Era.

Sirius woke up. Not where he had died, but in a field. It was black, each flower a glowing, luminescent white. It felt familiar, as if he'd been here before. Suddenly, his memories flooded into his mind. He had been here before. He walked out of the field, and into the pale white palace before him. As soon as he walked in, several people walked up to him and hugged him.

"We've missed you so much!" Someone said, and he recognized that voice. "Celeste?" He asked. She smiled, and a tear fell from her eye. "Yes. But everyone, back off of him, he's just arrived." She said, wiping her eye and taking a step back. He looked at everyone. People from his village. He smiled.

"Nice to see you all. Is Father here?" He asked tentatively. One of them nodded. "Yep, he's in his room. He... isn't very happy with you, though." They said. Sirius nodded. "Understandable. But... I am sorry about you dying. It could've been avoided, but I didn't think it would happen on that day." He said, his eyes dull and hollow. He hung his head.

Celeste scooped his hands into her palms, and made eye contact. "Yes, it was sad, but nobody is angry with you. You avenged them long ago. Honestly, a bit too much." She said with a laugh. Sirius laughed too. "Did... did Moira die? After she left... I didn't know where she went." Celeste seemed in thought. "No, she's not dead, but she is here. Come with me, and I'll explain." He nodded, following her.

"Bye, guys." He said, waving. soon they were in Celeste's room. It was very similar to her room at Kuragari Village, with the exception of a very large mirror on the wall. There was a landline on a table beside the mirror. She dialed a number. "Hey, Iris, could you come in here?" She asked. "Ok, see you soon." When she turned around, Sirius was deep in thought this time.

'Where have I heard that name before? Iris, Iris, where have I heard that?' Then he remembered the letter he received after he burned down his own library after he had to kill Katherine. 'It would be a shame if all of these books burned down, love, Iris.' It said. This Iris person was the one to restore his library in the middle of the night without him knowing. Then, Iris walked through the door. Sirius made eye contact for a few seconds. Then she dropped the papers she was holding, and ran out the door. He kneeled, picking up the papers. That person looked familiar. It almost looked like.... like...

"Moira." He whispered, and memories came flooding back. They were engaged. But she said she had to leave. They ended on... not so good terms. He read through the papers. They were magickal theories. The signature said 'Moira'. He knew. He took the papers and ran after her. He followed her to her room. The door was slightly ajar. He saw through it, and saw her crying in her room. There were papers strewn about the room. He walked in.

"Hello, Moira." He said. She looked up, eyes red from crying. "I was wrong. I can't believe it. I was wrong." She said to herself. "Wrong about what? Please talk to me. I know we parted on not so good terms, but please, tell me what's wrong."

She slowly nodded. "It wasn't you. You should've been omnipotent by now. You should be in the middle of taking over the realms." She smiled a bit. "I see you're still wearing the ring. I didn't think you would." She admitted.

He chuckled. "Did you think the 'Prophecy of Zero' was about me? Well, sorry to disappoint, but I'm the wrong guy for that. But at first, I didn't wear the ring. I found it hidden in a locked box after I went to a coffee house. It reminded me of something I hadn't felt in a long, long time." He said, fiddling with the ring.

"And what might that be?" She asked. "Love. I didn't know why until a few moments ago I met Vivian back in that coffee house, and she ended up erasing my memory of meeting her. I don't remember you being there, as my memory is restored now, but I think you also did the same. I knew it reminded me of love, but I didn't know from whom the love was from. Until now, of course." She nodded.

"But I know you're plan didn't work out exactly the way you planned. Kuro killed you, right?" He nodded. "I need to show you something." He said, and with a snap of his fingers, the scene changed. They were on the cliff where he died. "This is a part of another timeline." Sirius said, observing the other him talking with Serana.

"Don't worry, by the way, they can't see, hear, or feel us." He assured. Sirius hugged Serana as Kuro left the building, but Serana bit his neck, and sucked his blood. He wasn't screaming, or anything. She sat him down, and saw Kuro. She opened a portal and disappeared. He snapped again, same place, but instead Viktor killed him. Again, and it was Lulu, again, and it was Lilian. He snapped one more time, and they were back in the room.

"It doesn't matter who kills me in the end, the only reason I wanted Serana to do it is because we had a deal. It's why she was in Blackstar in the first place." He said. "She could kill me and drink my blood if she joined Blackstar. My life for her loyalty." He said. She nodded.

"Sucks you aren't Zero, though." He shrugged. He knew something she didn't and he had the feeling she knew something he didn't as well. But when the time comes.... all information will be useless. All he needed was time... time for his protege to fulfill their mission.

January 14, 2022 14:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.