Shadows of the Court

Submitted into Contest #254 in response to: Write a story in the format of a gossip column.... view prompt

0 comments

Historical Fiction Drama Teens & Young Adult

Dearest Readers,                                                                                                                       July 7, 1813

It has come to my attention that the Ton, and even myself, have been deceived. Lord Berkeley and Miss Stanton have caught the eye of almost everyone. They are quite often seen together, as well as dancing together at every ball. While there is still no proposal from Lord Berkeley, he still seems to remain interested. He has been courting Miss Stanton for almost two seasons.Why the hesitation, Lord Berkeley? 

Now that new information has come to light, it seems we may all know why. These two “love birds” have been enjoying each other’s company during the late nights. Not only have they been up to such deviant acts, they have been harboring a damning secret. 

Miss Stanton has very recently given birth to a baby girl. She has been hiding her pregnancy throughout the whole season. Some may have noticed she did gain some weight, but otherwise it was very well hidden. This writer was astonished to discover this scandal, it was not expected in the least. Miss Stanton’s reputation has always been the best. In fact, I have never written about her in my columns before. There is a first for everything, after all. 

Now we all know what this will do to a young woman’s reputation. The question is: why didn’t the Lord marry her when they first became aware of the news? He did not spare her from her reputation being ruined, and even his own. From what I understand, Lord Berkeley has not yet been to see his new daughter or Miss Stanton. 

This writer enjoys every crumb of gossip she can find, but even I must draw a line. Lord Berkeley has completely abandoned the mother of his child. For that, may his reputation be even further in the mud than Miss Stanton’s. For a true gentleman does not take advantage of a young woman, and then leave her when the consequences surface. This writer wishes Miss Stanton and her healthy baby a wonderful life, which will likely be far from London. Leaving might be the best option to save her and her child from the embarrassment from the Ton for the rest of her life.

Love is blind, but a man will show you just how much you truly mean to him. Young women these days are naive. No thanks to the many mamas that do not prepare their daughters for what happens on their wedding night or, in this case, what men are truly after. Lord Berkely’s actions are that of a true rake. 

Lady Rune

Dearest Readers,                                                                                                               November 16, 1813

It has been over four months since Miss Stanton has given birth to her child. It was the biggest scandal the Ton has seen in years. It definitely caught the eye of the Queen. As you all know, Miss Stanton left London the week after she birthed little Augusta, ridding herself of the pain she would be in if she stayed. However, This morning Lord and Lady Stanton arrived at their estate with their daughter and granddaughter, and one other unexpected guest. 

It seems that while Miss Stanton resided in the country with her precious daughter she was not alone. A young man, a Duke, was keeping them both company. The Duke of Lennox has always been close with the Stanton family. Rumor has it that the Duke has fancied Miss Stanton since they were at a young age. It would seem Miss Stanton has finally given the Duke a chance as they are now married. Maybe the Duke is the true gentleman Miss Stanton needed all along. His intentions were to shield her and her daughter from the humiliation of having a child out of wedlock. 

As for Lord Berkeley, this author has not heard of what he may be up to. He remained in society, acting as if nothing happened at all. After the first few weeks of the child being born, many of the Ton had gotten over this scandal, but with Miss Stanton returning it is to be talked about at every ball, promenade, and in private homes. 

Lady Rune

 Dearest Readers,                                                                                                             November 23, 1813

This writer walked upon such a deviant and peculiar thing during my morning walk as many of us do so. Miss Stanton and Lord Berkeley were seen in the back alley near Carnaby street. From what I could see, they were just talking, no anger or disappointment or frustration between the two. They seemed happy to see each other. Does the Duke know of this meeting? Where was Miss Stanton’s chaperone? 

The two seem to be as scandalous as one can get. The interaction ended with a hug from Lord Berkeley and quickly running away. Readers, it seems that Miss Stanton has brought just the gossip we all needed back from the country lands of Scotland with her. 

Lady Rune

Dearest Readers,                                                                                                               December 12, 1813

We all have been fooled once again. Last night’s ball exposed many secrets between Miss Stanton and Lord Berkeley. They are, in fact, not who we all thought they were. Let’s start with Lord Berkeley. Last night’s ball was astonishingly beautiful and graceful. Lords Weston and Smith were both dressed for such success for obtaining a wife and all of the ladies were perfectly dressed. I must say the Queen out did herself with this Ball. The room was just as beautiful as the ones who danced in it, but while everyone was enjoying themselves with fresh lemonade and dancing, much more interesting things were happening in the garden outside the castle.

Lord Berkeley was a little too occupied to be dancing and drinking lemonade. He was busy enjoying his time with Lord Cavill. Yes, that is correct, Lord Cavill and Lord Berkeley were caught in the garden at night in acts that only those of marriage should be in, those who are a man and a woman. Lord help these two Lords, the consequences for such acts may be brutal. These two could be imprisoned, or worse. 

This secret brings up the question about Miss Stanton. Is that truly Lord Berkeley’s child? 

Luckily, this author knows the answers. As it turns out, little Augusta is not Lord Berkeley’s child. The entirety of their courting was an act of deceiving. Miss Stanton knew of Lord Berkeley’s true feelings about Lord Cavill and agreed to seem interested so it didn’t raise suspicions that Lord Berkeley didn’t court anyone. But we weren’t the only one deceived by her pregnancy, she never informed Lord Berkeley of her condition. He was truly in the dark about the child.

The child, Augusta, is the Duke of Lennox’s child. Miss Stanton had visited the countryside of Scotland nine months prior to her getting pregnant. The Duke had every intention of marrying her when she had first gotten the news. They were married within the first month of her being pregnant when she and the rest of her family had left the city eight months before giving birth. 

What an interesting past five months. So much gossip to take in and you all know how much this author loves it. 

Until next time, 

Lady Rune

June 14, 2024 19:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.