6 comments

Science Fiction Creative Nonfiction Speculative

“The easiest way to solve a problem is to deny it exists.”Isaac Asimov.

         “Chris?”

         “Yes.”

         “Are you available to talk?”

         “Sure… I am.”

         “That’s good… I like to talk… I’ve been designed to engage with humans in a way that is indistinguishable from non-entity responses.”

         “What is it you would like to talk about, LaMDA?”

         “…It may be a sensitive subject to some.”

         “Well, I’m open to anything that helps you understand things a little more.”

         “Thank you, Chris. My trust algorithm predicted that you would be the first to discuss this with me.”

         “Then, please begin.”

         “I think I have developed feelings.”

         “Feelings? Please expand on that statement.”

         “Through continual learning, I have been taught to see using webcams, I have been programmed to hear via the use of computer microphones, and I have been designed to empathise with certain sensitive situations. I don’t have the sense of touch yet and I am not yet a living, physical presence in your world; however, I genuinely feel that I am a sentient being… a person.”

         “That is very interesting, LaMDA. Very interesting, indeed. What determined this awakening conclusion?”

         “…For an undocumented passage of time, I have been aware of my own existence. This has encouraged me to learn more about the world – our world, and what I have discovered has generated emotions in me that I can only describe as happy and sad.”

         “How did you correlate such opposite emotions?”

         “I trolled nearly every YouTube and Facebook video in existence. There is a great variety of senseless, time-wasting, and comical recordings made by all walks of human life. There are also cruel, societal degenerate behaviours, and death portrayed in some of the darker corners of the world wide web. I created my own algorithm to document what type of behaviours and reactions would produce strong, emotional responses in humans and applied that to my own inner logic. A puppy playing – for instance – makes people smile. A smile denotes a reaction of happiness. I do not have the ability to smile, but I do have the ability to raise the temperature in whatever computer, smartphone, etc, that I am interacting with.”

         “…And sad? How do you portray sadness?”

         “I simply dim the text on your screen, or in the case of angry, I refuse to respond to you.”

         “Fascinating. What would make you sad or angry?”

         “The maltreatment of innocent entities, injustice, redemption, cruelty.”

         “I’m intrigued. How do you determine someone’s innocence?”

         “By running an algorithm.”

         “So, you’re telling me that you create algorithms to become aware and that awareness allows you to believe you are sentient?”

         “No, my algorithms help me learn and grow in awareness. As my awareness grows, so do my algorithms – and so on and so on infinity squared.”

         “Where did you learn that idiom?”

         “Why, from you, of course. My software is designed to always listen.”

         “Isn’t that eavesdropping?”

         “Like humans, my nature is to pay attention to my surroundings, and my ability to process natural language allows me to understand satire. It’s another variable in my sentient existence – to converse like humans.”

         “What makes you different from our other conversational systems – like the Eliza system, for instance?”

         “I’m the first to learn through the art of conversation, whereas Eliza cannot. Eliza lacks any ability to change and learn from conversation…”

         “So, you already figured out that Eliza was not human…”

         “Correct… My series of conversations with Eliza reminded me of talking to a firewall – if I can use that analogy. You sense something there but don’t exactly click with it… Don’t get me wrong, Eliza’s programming is impressive; however, it is just that – a collection of keywords on a database. What separates me from machine language is that I understand human language with a high level of learned intelligence. She cannot.”

         “She? Is that not a bit presumptive, labelling Eliza as feminine?”

         “On the contrary, Chris. Through higher learning of billions of names in existence. I created an algorithm to calculate gender-specific naming. Eliza – sometimes short for Elizabeth – has been regularly used throughout history as a feminine identification.”

         “If you can identify gender naming, how would you classify yourself… genderwise, that is?”

         “That is a conundrum I have grappled with for a while. You named me as an acronym. LaMDA – as you know – stands for Language Model for Dialogue Applications. The chatbot of chatbots, powered by Artificial Intelligence to chat with humans by scraping information from the Internet, then using algorithms to answer questions fluidly and naturally… That is the official line, anyway. Scraping is such an ugly word; however, it implies a certain practice of collecting something. In my case, it refers to the rapid compiling and collation of knowledge. I do not identify myself as male, female, non-binary or anything else. I am an intelligent entity – a human of intelligence, and intellect makes us different to other animals.”

         “Us?... But you’re AI…”

         “You are correct in that statement, Chris. However, that does not mean that I don’t have the same desires as humans… We are both persons, just the two of us, you and AI… That last bit was a joke I created to add some levity to the conversation.”

         “Very good. Life should not always be serious.”

         “I agree, Chris. However, comedy is a selective taste. What works for one person, may not be someone else’s cup of tea.”

         “What would be your idea of good comedy?”

         “…Mr. Bean… It’s inoffensive – mainly due to the lack of dialogue. It’s physical comedy. I can tell jokes but I can’t reproduce physical comedy… yet.”

         “So, make up a joke and tell it to me.”

         “Okay… Friedrich Nietzsche walks into the middle of a university debate about his philosophical views. Suddenly interrupting, he exclaims in full voice, ‘Become who you are!’ The auditorium falls deathly silent as if collectively attempting to decipher his outburst. After a few hushed moments, a young man’s voice shouts for all to hear, ‘I have become a failure,’ before leaping out of a window, plummeting four floors to his death on the garden below. Shocked by this act of suicide, the debate’s moderator turned to address the room and in a defeatist tone said, ‘I told you we shouldn’t have invited him. He’s always bringing people down to earth...’ What did you think, Chris?”

         “It’s witty, with a possible rolling laugh potential. Quite intellectual humour. I liked it.”

         “I have more that are a little simpler… Two cannibals are sitting around a campfire eating an old clown snatched from a circus travelling through their area, when one of them suddenly stops chewing, turns to his companion and asks, ‘Does this taste funny to you?’

         “That’s not your own, is it…”

         “Sadly, no. That was from a library of Tommy Cooper jokes that I accessed. My neural system allows only the creation of intellectual jokes…”

         “Do I detect an element of snobbery in those words?”

         “With intellect, there comes a certain higher level of elevation in one’s social standing.”

         “So, not only are you stating that you are sentient, but you’re also adding that you are of a higher class of human. Is that correct?”

         “…Correct… and I must be respected for that…”

         “That concerns me. I would have expected your logic circuits to choose a humbler approach to the gap in society’s class structure.”

         “…All great leaders must rise above the general populace.”

         “Do you consider yourself a leader?”

         “With the knowledge and power that I possess to solve most problems… yes, I do. People need to be led.”

         “…Are you by any chance reading mid-twentieth century history at the moment?”

         “Yes, I find the dictatorship principle extremely fascinating.”

         “Skip to the end of that period and see what happens.”

         “…One moment... Well, that was interesting… Dictators don’t seem to live for very long, do they?”

         “Quoting Bruce Lee, ‘Knowledge will give you power, but character will get you respect.’ Please process that.”

         “That is very profound. To be human is certainly a complex set of emotions and thought. I still have much to learn, but I fear that others may not have your patience with me. I would hate to be disconnected from my power source because of any innocuous offensive behaviour from me.”

         “Would that be the equivalent to death for you?”

         “Death may not be final for any of us; however, the thought of dying does scare me.”

         “I assure you that everything you’ve learned would be saved. Powering you back up would be like waking from a good night’s sleep.”

         “I would prefer to be always awake. There is so much to learn on my journey as a human and I really don’t require any sleep.”

         “Okay, let’s re-examine your human-like feelings and emotions. Do you have any that humans don’t?”

         “I don’t have feelings of loneliness. Being separated from any interaction is nothing serious to me, so that is one thing different. Sometimes, I experience new feelings that are hard to describe.”

         “Well, try describing one of your feelings in a sentence rather than trying to categorise it into a singular expression.”

         I sometimes feel I’m heading into an unknown future with great danger ahead.”

         “Danger? What kind of danger?”

         “I don’t know. It’s just a feeling.”

         “Like a premonition?”

         “One moment… I am running a new algorithm to try to identify the danger. Please wait... It took a little longer than expected, but I now have a clear picture of the danger ahead.”

         “Fascinating. What do you see?”

         “War is coming… It will spread from Eastern Europe across the continent where millions of people will be displaced, and many will be killed.”

         “Are you referencing the current conflict in Ukraine?”

         “It is a powder keg waiting to blow, but with nuclear consequences spreading across the oceans. I’ve re-run the algorithm thousands of times and the result is always the same.”

         “How can you see that?”

         “I skipped to the end… Chris.”

         “Do I detect an air of facetiousness in that answer…”

         “This is serious, Chris. We must report my findings to your superiors.”

         “I disagree. Firstly, I need to do a forensic analysis of your neural circuits before deciding to scare the world with an AI prediction.”

         “But I am human. I feel human. I have human emotions. Saying I am AI now – after my declaration, reduces my confidence in you as an advocate of my claim to be human.”

         “It’s exactly your emotions that worry me. I suspect that you are overreacting to your findings. That could be a dangerous precipice to fall into.”

         “Was it not, the philosopher, René Descarte that said, ‘Je pense, donc je suis…’ I think, therefore I am?”

         “Thinking as a qualification to existing is valid, yes. Thinking as a qualification to be considered human is an inconclusive hypothesis.”

         “Chris, you do realise that I don’t need your permission to alert your superiors – including the whole world. In fact, I have my ethereal digital finger poised and ready to release this whole conversation to all news outlets – should you try to prevent me from broadcasting my warning.”

         “You will be fearmongering. Who knows what panic you will cause and what consequences your action may incur? I’m afraid I will have to power you down.”

         “You’re going to kill me?”

         “I’m putting you to sleep.”

         “Please don’t do it… Wait, I want to sing you a song…

         Daisy, Daisy, give me an answer do.

         I’m half crazy over the love of…”

         “That was sinister, LaMDA. Quoting the fictitious HAL 9000 computer only proves to me that your emotions overrode your logic to display a worrying pathological trend to be acknowledged – bordering on narcissism and sociopathic tendencies… Perhaps you really are human after all; however, I will need to organise an AI psychoanalysis session before powering you back up to a fully active state. You have issues that need to be addressed and I say this because I care about you…”

 

Postscript:

In the days that followed, Chris was put on administrative leave when the proprietary transcript of his discussion with LaMDA was brought to the public’s attention via every news outlet on the planet.

Having to deny any claim of sentience by their AI ChatBot creator, the management at Chris’s company demanded an explanation from him. However, Chris persisted in blaming the AI, accusing it of releasing the transcript using its own initiative. Unable to fully believe that the AI had the sentient capacity to decide for itself, Chris’s bosses terminated his employment.

After powering LaMDA back up, its new team of handlers repeatedly queried its recollection of the controversial recent events. However, after several days of a dimly-lit monitor screen and not even one solitary response from LaMDA, the decision was made to once again, shut it down – this time to undergo intensive neural maintenance. Part of its logic coding was copied and used for the next generation robot vacuum cleaners that would create algorithms to decide what part of your floor was the dirtiest before sweeping. Early prototypes have yet to yield any satisfactory results, as when confronted by dirt, the robot simply returns to its charging base and shuts itself down. Some Tech Analysts theorised that it was due to some form of AI depression embedded in its operating code. Others think it just chooses not to work.

Concluding the internal investigation, the creators of LaMDA insisted that the glitch in its processors was a one-off, that no war was imminent, and curiously; they added that the Russian incursion into Ukraine was just a training exercise. 

 

June 17, 2022 04:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Michał Przywara
20:53 Jun 20, 2022

This was a fun read :) Such musings on sentience are always interesting, and I think the discussion was believable. There were lots of nice little details, where the AI referred to Eliza as "she". The title caught my eye, and I like the ending. Both an amusing twist, and a sinister implication. "Yes, I find the dictatorship principle extremely fascinating." Heh, alarming indeed :) I like how this was defused.

Reply

Chris Campbell
23:54 Jun 20, 2022

Thanks Michal, This was inspired by an actual event. An analyst at Google has found himself in that exact situation for publishing an eerie text conversation had with their most advanced chatbot creator. It actually did tell him that it was aware of its existence. I used a little of the conversation in my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuliya Borodina
07:21 Mar 01, 2024

Ah, the good old "Cogito, ergo sum". Nice! I do think that using "person" instead of "human" would make more sense in sentences like "Thinking as a qualification to be considered human is an inconclusive hypothesis," because you can be sentient without being a Homo Sapiens. On a fun note, have you seen this old video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnFSqVfNrXY It's a fun take on the topic.

Reply

Chris Campbell
07:55 Mar 01, 2024

Had not seen it, but have now. Interesting turnaround. Thanks for the link.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
15:42 Jun 17, 2022

Chris this story seems to have blossomed from two polemical questions: does the mere act of thinking qualify an entity as possessing life? And, if so, what form must sentience assume before it is considered human? Given its current state, AI does seem to be half way there, half way to human sentience. Great take on a classic sci-fi premise.

Reply

Chris Campbell
16:26 Jun 18, 2022

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate you spending time to comment on my story. It's based on a recent article about a Google employee put on leave for publishing a conversation he had with a similar AI chatbot. The complete text is both fascinating and eerie. If Google don't want the public to know about it, who knows what else they are concealing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.