0 comments

Suspense Contemporary Drama

I stand outside under the patio awning, watching the trees sway and blow. I close my eyes now, yet I feel the wind brushing against my face. I keep my eyes closed longer, wanting to feel the impact of nature as it is—it makes me feel powerful.

I hear the leaves rustling back and forth, the birds excitedly chirping, and cars swiftly moving through the streets of a small city. I keep my eyes closed, and the breeze continues to touch my face.

I want to open my eyes, but I feel a presence all around me. I believe I must keep them closed. I wonder if someone is near or if it's just the gusty wind. The wind comes through the patio as I stand there.

I want to open my eyes, but I know I have this fear that a stillness takes over my body. Someone is there. Time has passed, and now I know, after the breeze has stroked my face yet again, someone comes closer. They hold my face with two hands and caress it.

I open my eyes, and I know it's him. I waited so long for him to come. We texted so many times, but never met in person. I knew this day would come. I didn't know it would manifest with this wind, with this breeze against my face.

I ask myself day after day, when would he come? So many promises, but why did he come today?

Would he have come through the door to the back and greet me in this way if the wind were not so powerful? Or was it the wind that brought him closer to me with each gust? Magically, it was him hurling through the sky and towards me. Is 

it just my imagination that he stands before me?

My eyes are open now. I have witnessed someone before me. But is it a figment of my imagination? Is this real? Is it real? The person I have spoken to for so long. Is it he? 

Yes, I wait. He doesn't speak. He stands there, holding my face as the breeze continues to brush up against my face. I do like the wind and the sounds as we stand together. The sounds are like deep and growling voices. If he speaks, would that be his voice?

My days blend into each other, becoming one of the same. Have I lived in a vacuum, not knowing human touch? Have I lived in a vacuum, believing that texts are the only conversations that exist? I hear the power of the rain and the wind as they touch my face.

My question, is it the breeze against my face? Or is it him, holding my face so tenderly? I question over and over as I stand before this figure. Is it real? Is it not?

As the sun begins to set, casting an orange glow across the patio, my heart races with anticipation. The figure before me remains silent, his grip on my face firm yet gentle. The wind continues to caress my skin, almost as if it's urging me to uncover the truth.

Unable to bear the uncertainty any longer, I take a step back, breaking free from his touch. My eyes search his face for any sign of recognition, any proof that this connection we've cultivated through countless messages is real.

But there's something in his eyes, a glimmer of darkness that sends a shiver down my spine. The wind suddenly picks up, howling through the trees with an eerie intensity. The growling voices I once deemed comforting now become an ominous chorus, surrounding us both.

At that moment, a realization hits me like a bolt of lightning. This man, this presence that has appeared before me, is not who I thought he was. The facade crumbles, revealing a shocking truth that makes my blood run cold.

With each passing second, his form fades, dissipating into the swirling gusts of wind. His voice finally emerges, but it's not the tender whisper I had imagined. It's a chilling, distorted sound, filled with malice and deceit.

Now that the sky is dark, a deafening silence settles over the patio, the once beautiful backdrop of nature now a haunting reminder of the darkness lurking just beyond our reach. Fear grips me, and I find myself frozen in place as the wind continues to howl, carrying away the fragile hope I had built.

It was never him. It was never real. The wind was merely a tool, a conduit for this elaborate ruse. As the truth dawns on me, I realize the danger I had unknowingly invited into my life. The text messages, the promises, all a cunning manipulation designed to lure me into this twisted trap.

In the wake of this revelation, I vow to protect myself, to reclaim the life I had before this masquerade of false connection. The wind still whispers, a bitter reminder of the lies that nearly consumed me. With renewed determination, I turn away, leaving the patio behind me and stepping into a future untouched by this twisted encounter.

With each step I take, I can hear the wind whispering behind me, taunting me with its deceitful promises. But I walk with confidence, knowing that I have escaped its clutches. I refuse to let this encounter define me, to allow it to tarnish my belief in genuine connection.

As I reach the edge of the patio, I turn back one last time, defiance burning in my eyes. "You may have tried to deceive me," I declare, my voice filled with determination. "But I refuse to let you win. I will rise above this darkness, and I will find true connection."

With those words of defiance, I step out into the world, leaving behind the haunting memories and the winds of deception. I am ready to embrace the uncertainty and to search for the genuine connections that eluded me in this twisted game.

As I walk away, the wind begins to calm, no longer whispering its haunting words. It's as if nature itself understands the significance of my decision, and it offers me a sense of serenity.

With the weight of the deception behind me, I embark on a journey to reclaim my life. I will be cautious, but I won't let this encounter rob me of the opportunity to find true connection and genuine love. I am ready to navigate the suspenseful path ahead, armed with newfound wisdom and a steadfast belief in my own worth.

I can't help but feel a glimmer of hope. The wind may have tried to deceive me, but it has also served as a powerful reminder of my own resilience and strength. And with each step I take, I move closer to a future filled with genuine connection, untainted by the darkness that once threatened to consume me.

March 07, 2024 02:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.