10 comments

Fiction Suspense

Malcolm stared at the roiling kettle and it’s billowing clouds of steam evaporating into the air of the room. He just needed a minute. It was arduous…exhausting to feel this level of anxiety, but pausing the conversation for too long would cause suspicion and heighten the danger; he had to get back. He took his hands from the kitchen bench, stood up straight, consciously withheld a sigh and grabbed a teaspoon.


The return journey to Alice who was patiently waiting in the lounge felt like a gauntlet these days. His eyes tracked the four little ascending vertical lines moving from the kettle’s display to the one on the fridge and then back again in perfect tandem to his return of the milk carton. He watched them materialize once more at his passing with hot mugs in hand and then jump to the speaker mounted by the doorway. Each mini digital screen wakening, almost imperceptibly in response to his presence. Finally as he reclaimed his seat he noticed the stalking icon illuminate on the TV, the nearby thermostat and of course his phone that lay awaiting on the coffee table.


“There we go, no sugar wasn’t it?” He said handing his old friend a warm brew.

“Lovely, yes, thank you” she took a hesitant sip to test the temperature and as the taste travelled through her senses, Malcolm saw her eyes widen in surprise and delight “Is this…the premium blend?”

“It is! I’m so glad you noticed! It costs a lot but I think it’s worth the price.”

“Absolutely” she said.

They sat there then carefully sipping the hot liquid and allowing the action to cover the awkward silence that had appeared. He couldn’t allow too many of those. Jilted or forced conversation would be recognized by the timing of the gaps between speech. Drinks and snacks were useful buffers and so he lifted the tray of biscuits from the coffee table and offered them to the older woman. It proved a mistake.

“Oh, no thank you Mal, at my age I can’t afford too much of the bad stuff…I mean of course the GOOD stuff! Hahahaha!” Her awkward laughter did nothing to dissuade the algorithm from flagging the phrase, it had no humanity after all.


The TV flickered on immediately and began playing the Ad they had both expected. The suave presenter with perfect hair and surgically enhanced features informed them of all the vitamins and minerals packed into every one of the brands new line of baked goods. They were oven cooked not fried, responsibly sourced and made with dairy alternatives. Not forgetting just how oh-so-delicious they would be. They both watched in silence, eyes focused on the screen, not daring to look away in case it was noticed. There was no proof yet that camera’s were present in newer devices but Malcolm had made sure to show off his unavoidable new replacement anyway. The curved screen monstrosity was immediately introduced to everyone who entered his home with the intent of explicitly warning them of its modernity…just in case.


When the forced segment ended and the screen switched to black once again, his eyes met hers and the apology in her wrinkled lines was evident. She could not be blamed, most of her generation were blind to the implications of the modern world let alone able to navigate its treacherous waters. She did so well to manage as she did. His forgiveness did not however, stop his palms from sweating.

“So how are the grandchildren?” He said, moving forward at a faster pace.

“Oh they are wonderful! They grow larger every day and I feel like before we know it they will be ready to fly the nest”

“It will creep up on you I’m sure” he said with a big smile “I bought some treats for them, I’ll give them to you before you go”

“That’s so kind” she said “I’ll make sure they get them”

“And your children?” Malcolm asked

“Oh they were ready to leave home awhile ago, haha!” Alice answered “You know why don’t I bring them all over together, perhaps on Sunday and we could all have dinner?”

“That would be ideal, I look forward to it!” Malcolm said.

Alice finished her tea and stood.

“Well I should be going, it was lovely to see you and thank you again for the expensive tea. You know…I should love to see where you bought it from?” 

Careful

Malcolm paused, he had to decide quickly so it did not seem unnatural, but her abrupt ending of the conversation followed by the brazen request had taken him off guard.

“Sure Alice, the packet is in the pantry, we can check…” He said, hoping his hesitance had not displayed outwardly.


They both moved quickly to the pantry, where Malcolm stopped and met her eyes. He gave her the slightest nod and slammed the breaker switch mounted on the back wall. Every unnatural light in the house went dark.

“FIVE minutes Alice. No longer. Anything more and it will pick up as more than a momentary power outage and there will be men at my door”

“I’m so sorry Mal, I didn’t mean to drop it on you like that, I’ll be quick I promise. I just can’t go any longer without seeing the tea leaves in person, it would be such a sight!”

“It’s done. Lets go and we can talk plainly while we move” He ushered her as fast he could out his own back door and toward the large garage “So the beets are ready?”

“Yes they’re canned and ready to go, I have two dozen for you and the grandchildren are almost there.

“You mean the tomatoes?” Malcolm said with a true smile “Everything is powered down Alice, do not fear”

“Oh of course!” She said with a palm to her forehead. “You just get so used to talking in spontaneous code don’t you? It becomes almost normal.”

“Nothing about this world is normal anymore my friend. We live surrounded by insanity. I despair at a world where nothing is valued other than what can be bought from a store. I mean did you hear about the beehive cull? Even honey is illegal now unless it comes through a supermarket. This chemical soaked swill they call food and the woven plastic they call clothing is poisoning us all and most just lap up the convenience. I wait for the day that our slim waist’s and lack of cancer give us away as covert dissidents to the government’s ‘health’ agenda.”

“Well when that day comes Mal, what would even be the point any more.”

They both stopped to look at each other then, with the caring sympathy of old friends knowing they were probably doomed. Non-verbal communication had become second nature even to those who supported the culture of the modern world, simply to spare themselves another ad break. That, he thought, was some kind of silver lining. A lot could be passed between souls with a connecting look.


He cracked open the metal door of the windowless structure and after they had both squeezed inside, jammed it closed behind them. He turned to find Alice, weeping profusely and gazing at the long lines of green leaved bushes, fed by artificial light and distilled mains water.

“You took the foundation out to grow them in the ground?!” She stuttered.

“Well the truth is there was never a floor in here, the previous owner just balanced the frame on the soil. I never thought I would be thankful for his laziness or disregard for building code but its allowed me a formidable advantage.”

“It’s so beautiful Mal. You do such a service for this community, I don’t know how us older folks would get by without a safe cup of tea! Thank you…”

“You’re most welcome. You do just as much with your own produce…as do your actual children. I trust they will be coming with items to trade on Sunday, as you said inside?”

“Of course, organic grown fruit. They each espalier different varieties under cover, you’ll see”

“It sounds incredible, its been so long since I had a real apple! I’ll have sacks of tea for each of them, but for now we really need to get back and the power on before its flagged. Come on, quickly now.”


With the house emanating blue light once more, Malcolm waved goodbye to his departing friend and settled down with one of the only paper books he still managed to own in an attempt to calm his nerves. They could monitor his speech and likely his movements, but until they could read his mind with a computer program, a written story would be his escape. It was a true sanctuary from propaganda, they couldn’t rewrite printed ink like they did the digital versions, which meant he never felt safer than with a book in his hand. After only a few minutes he felt his jaw relax and his shoulders drop, to finally be lost in a relative peace. Until a flicker of the television interrupted his imagined world, spiking that adrenaline response once more.


“Marshmallow treats for kids! Sugar free and made with natural sources in mind! For every packet bought a donation will be made to the Nature Replacement Fund. Get yours TO-DAY!”

The phrase he had uttered earlier slammed back into his mind. He had promised to give Alice treats for her grandchildren, he had meant some of his homemade compost for her tomatoes but all the algorithm would have heard was an open promise with a missing resolution. In his haste and anxiety to fulfil her wish to see the plants he had carelessly forgotten.

Fix it. Quickly.

He walked to the kitchen, slowly, naturally, tensely. 

“Oh dear! I plain forgot to give her these treats for the kids. I’ll have to save them for Sunday.” He said clearly and intentionally toward the kettle.


A knock at the door spun him around. Too late.


July 14, 2024 05:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Darvico Ulmeli
11:43 Jul 25, 2024

Like it. It grabbed my attention till the end.

Reply

James Scott
14:58 Jul 25, 2024

Glad you enjoyed it, thank you for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
16:17 Jul 21, 2024

Big Brother is listening! A different spin but how relevant. I applaud your ingenuity. A good read.

Reply

James Scott
22:26 Jul 21, 2024

Thank you Carol!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carolyn O'B
19:07 Jul 20, 2024

Love this story idea, took me back to Anne Frank. Well thought out, logic is so important. Five stars.

Reply

James Scott
21:47 Jul 20, 2024

Thank you for the wonderful feedback Carolyn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:35 Jul 19, 2024

Aaaannnd, that made my heart pound. Thanks for sharing, James !

Reply

James Scott
22:44 Jul 19, 2024

I'm really glad it had the intended reaction :). Thankyou for commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:28 Jul 14, 2024

Big brother stops by for a cuppa. Scary thought.

Reply

James Scott
00:40 Jul 15, 2024

A scary thought that seems all too real sometimes! Thankyou for my first ever comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.