0 comments

Romance

Chris.

Today was the day that I would start a new job. But as soon as I got there, I learned that I had to be trained before actually getting to work. And the worst part is, the girl I bumped into when I was getting coffee and she got mad, was the same one who had to train me. Weeks with blondie felt like three thousand years. And once those brutal weeks were over, I still had to work with her.

Riley.

I woke up, with an uneventful day to come. I jumped out of bed, got dressed. Went to work. Only to find a new co-worker. Great. Now I had to train this guy, who didn't know anything about the job. He was rude all through the day and tried to make me look like a fool. This happened almost every day until he learned the ropes. But unfortunately, there was no hope. I'd still have to work with him. I had enough of him the first day, but for the rest of the time I'd be at this one, there was no hope.

Chris.

Riley is her name. She has blonde hair and green eyes. She gets mad if I don't do exactly what she tells me to and Mondays. She likes getting coffee at exactly 8:00 A.M. and likes gardening. Or plants. She has a lot of plants in her office. I totally had a crush on her, so I did everything to get her to like me. But whatever I did, she just got mad. I brought her flowers. She bled because they were roses and then she got stung by a bee, that was pollinating. She got mad at me a lot. Whatever I did. It was easier to be her enemy.

Riley.

His name is Chris and I hate him. More than anything. He likes to follow me around and brought me flowers one time. I got pricked and the bee stung me. I'm not allergic, but still. I don't care if all the other females drooled whenever he said hi to them. I was never going to like him. Ever. It didn't matter if he had money or good looks. It mattered that he wasn't my idea of someone to like. I don't have to like everyone. I'm choosing to not like him.

Chris.

I didn't need this job. I just had it to rise in the business. Soon enough, I was to take up my dad's mantle, but I had to work for him first. I thought about trying to get her fired, but I love her. I want her. Even if she makes me her enemy. So eventually, after months, months, and even a few extra months, we were friends. Let me tell you, pal, it was about as easy as cutting rocks with a butter knife.

Riley.

Chris' dad runs the business. It's a nationwide business. I've always worked here, and I'm not leaving anytime soon. Not for anyone. Months past. And I found myself actually getting close to Chris. It took him months of trying to be my friend. I didn't make it easy, as I was being stubborn. But I realised that if he was willing to go through such extensive lengths, he deserved to be my friend. It took many extensive months for him to get there, and I'm sure it was hard. I had my guard up the entire time.

Chris.

Today was the day I asked her out. I needed to ask her out. See if she liked me even the slightest little bit. And I did. It went well, as she did say yes. She was hesitant at first, but then I convinced her it would be dinner at her favorite restaurant. A little diner across town. She smiled and we agreed I would pick her up from her house at seven. As soon as I got ready, my dad told me not to get attached to anyone. In no time, he may have a suitor so I can marry rich. I pushed past him. I wanted Riley, and no one else.

Riley.

In the morning when I was getting my coffee, Chris came up to me and asked me out. I thought. I was reluctant. I'd just let him be my friend. But it was clear he cared about what I liked. He promised we would go to my favorite restaurant, and he would pick me up at seven. I smiled at him. He deserved a chance, at the least. So I agreed. Then I went home, got ready and before I knew it, he was at my door, and we drove to my favorite restaurant.

Chris.

The dinner date went well. We talked. She was really nice and had a good sense of humor. And then I mentioned my dad. I then told her how I wanted her, and only her. Not some suitor. She grinned, daringly. "We'll have to see if that works out for you lover boy." Then she walked out quickly to the car. I followed after her and paid the bill on the way. I took her home, and she kissed me good night. I hadn't been that happy in months.

Riley.

Chris drove me to the diner, and we talked about a few things. Out of the blue he told me his dad was planning to get him a suitor. How he wanted me. He was holding my hand. I grined broadly. We'll just have to see how that goes for him. I almost ran out, and he chased after me. And in that moment, I knew. He was meant to be mine. Which is why when he took me home, I gave him a kiss on the cheek and told him good night. I saw his cute blush and closed the door.

Chris and Riley.

For the next few years we dated. Then Chris proposed. Before we knew it, we were married. Even though Chris' dad did not approve of their marriage, his dad and both of Riley's parents agreed that they could be married. So they were. And they lived happily together, having three wonderful children and all the love and joy anyone could have asked for.

February 05, 2022 01:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.