0 comments

Romance

In the small town of Springs Creek, Minnesota, a general store called Howard's lay nestled in the center of town.

"Hey Lizzie, do you mind locking up? Your mom's worried about the storm coming."

"No problem, Pop. I got it. Stay safe. Let me know when you get home, okay?"

"I will. Weather says eighteen inches in 36 hours. Make sure if you need anything, take it, okay?"

" I will, Pop. "

"We'll let you know about Christmas, okay?"

"Alright. "

"Oh, Lizzie, God has a way of making everything okay in the end, alright? Have faith."

"I'll try, Pop."

"Mark will get what he deserves one day. I love you."

Lizzie locked the door behind her father. She started sweeping the floor, straightening shelves as she went. Upon reaching an aisle containing dog food and assorted items, she heard a tiny cry. Dropping the dust broom, she went to investigate. When she looked down, she saw an infant in a carseat.

"Oh my goodness, where did you come from, Angel?"

The baby fussed in a gray snowsuit. Lizzie looked down at the baby.

"I don't suppose you can answer, huh? Well, first things first, let's see who I'm dealing with here."

Lizzie took the carseat up to the front of the store. Without hesitation, she pulled out her cell phone.

"Springs Creek Sheriff's department, Dottie speaking."

" Hi, Dottie. It's Lizzie Howard at Howard's General Store. Is Jesse there?"

"Yeah, he's here. Gimme a sec. Jesse!"

The sounds of shuffling before a man's velvet smooth voice answered a moment later.

"This is Sheriff Jesse Trayver."

" Hey, Jesse, it's Lizzie. I have a problem and I need you to come to the store. How fast can you get here? "

"I'll be there in ten minutes."

" Thanks, Jesse. "

"For you, Lizzie, anything."

Lizzie ended the call and returned to the little angel in a broken carseat.

"Alright, Angel, let's see if you're a boy or a girl. Gray really doesn't help me here."

The baby smiled.

"Oh, you liked that one, huh?"

Lizzie removed the dirty snowsuit to reveal nothing more than a white onesie and thin socks.

"Sweet Lord, did nobody want you? From the look of this, I'd want to strangle whoever left you."

Lizzie undid the onesie.

"Well, guess I can find you some pink frilly stuff Angel cake. You're a girl."

Lizzie redid everything and carried the baby up the two aisles of baby needs before returning to the register. The sound of the door rattling, startled Lizzie. Standing at the door was Jesse Trayver, Springs Creek's sheriff and most eligible bachelor. Lizzie unlocked the door.

"Hiya, Lizzie. What's the problem? You rarely ever call even for a social visit."

"Jesse, I don't know what to do."

Jesse looked nervous.

"What do you mean?"

Lizzie pointed downward toward the broken carseat.

"Jesus! That's a baby!"

" Let it never be said that the sheriff isn't just handsome; he's smart too."

"Where did it come from, Lizzie?"

"Well, Jesse, it you'd have paid attention in health class,"

Jesse gave Lizzie is a flat look.

"I know the mechanics, Smartypants. My question is, where did you find a baby?"

Lizzie explained. Jesse looked at the baby.

"Is it a boy or a girl?"

" A girl. She's been sitting in this broken thing, these dirty clothes... "

Tears formed in Lizzie's eyes. Jesse wrapped an arm around her.

"Mark did a number on you, didn't he?"

"It wasn't enough that we tried for two years to have a baby. I find out six months into our relationship he's cheating on his wife with me and has a family. I feel... "

Jesse looked at the baby.

"Here's an idea..."

He said as the snow started to blow and drift. Lizzie watched him, holding the baby.

"God sees everything. Maybe, God saw your dedication to a man who didn't deserve it. God saw that this little girl needed someone to love her and God chose you. I mean, it's snowing like crazy. This baby is nowhere near dressed for this weather. This... "

He holds up the carseat, as the handle snaps.

"Was just proven to be a death trap. You're this baby's guardian angel."

An envelope flips into the air. Jesse catches it. "To Whoever Finds Me" written on the front. Jesse opens it.

"Hello, my name is Savannah.

Thank you for finding me and keeping me safe and warm. I'm sorry I caused so much trouble.

My mommy was here a lot. She was very young and she's very scared. She didn't know what to do. So, she decided that I should have a good home with a nice family. She visited your store all the time and saw the sweet lady behind the counter. One day, my mommy saw that lady wasn't smiling anymore. So, my mommy asked what was wrong. The lady said 'my heart is broken. I'll be okay soon.' My mommy decided at that moment she knew where I needed to be.

My mommy also knew what else would make the lady smile wide. My mommy was a lot of things, a watcher was one. She saw when the nice sheriff guy came in for his coffee and muffin. My mommy knew stuff.

I'm sad that my mommy isn't here anymore but I'm happy that I have a new mommy and daddy to love me.

Please say that you will. Please?"

Lizzie's eyes filled with tears. Jesse looked at Lizzie, then the baby.

"Oh my lord, Lizzie."

" What? "

"Mandy..."

"You mean? "

Jesse pulled the obituary from the paper.

"Amanda Crenshaw, Age 18..."

They both continued to read.

"Only surviving relative: daughter Savannah Rose, Age one week."

Jesse looked at Lizzie.

"I love you. I have since second grade. Marry me?"

Lizzie stood in shock.

" Yes."

There, as snow continued to fall, Springs Creek's most eligible bachelor removed himself from the market. Lizzie finally found the family she wanted and blankets of snow covered Springs Creek for the next three days.


Midwest blizzards have a funny way of bringing people together.


SIX MONTHS LATER...


Outside the small church in town, Jesse posed holding both Lizzie and Savannah in his arms.

"You look quite dashing in a suit, Sheriff." Lizzie said .

"That dress looks mighty pretty, Missus Trayver."

Savannah's small frame nestled in between them , dressed in a lavender dress.

"Who would have guessed a blizzard, an angel and this town's most eligible bachelor could have fixed my heart?" Lizzie asked.

"Only God knows."




July 26, 2020 13:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.