Time of need

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

0 comments

General

Once, there lived a poor farmer. He was happy doing his work, and he got satisfaction knowing that he was making a difference in the lives of the village. He provided all the produce that he grew. The only trouble was, he didn't have any help and the work was getting to be too much for him.

One Day, while he was working out in the field, he had a dizzy spell and collapsed on the ground. A moment later, one young man came by, hoping to help load up the truck and saw the farmer out cold. This young man called the ambulance which took the farmer to the hospital.

The Farmer woke up an hour later, not sure what had happened. The young man who was at the right spot at the right time told him what had happened. The farmer was extremely grateful and asked how he could repay the man.

The Best way to repay me is to let me help you out around the farm. It's too much work for just one man. I'm more than happy to help out in your time of need. Just try to relax a bit and let me help you to recover. It will lighten the load.

You Are a Godsend. Thanks for being here for me in my time of need. I just don't have money to pay you.

I don't care about the money, I need you to get better and let me help. I am happy to help.

A week later, the farmer went home with his new aid. The two of them were a great team on the farm. The farmer was able to produce twice his normal harvest with his new aid.

with the increased crops, they were able to get extra money come in. With the extra money helped the two of them to provide more of the necessities that they needed. Before long, they had enough money and food set aside for the winter.

The Farmer was busy planning his harvest for the next year when the aid came in.

There's some trouble with the cows. It looks like one is having trouble giving birth to a calf. I just don't know what to do.

The Farmer was up and out in the barn quickly. In next to no time, the calf was born and the cow was recovering nicely. The farmer said, Helping the calf is like second nature to me because I have done this for so long. Thanks for alerting me to it quickly.

That was no worry. I knew the cow was needing help and I couldn't do it alone. Could you teach me how to help the way you did?

Absolutely. The best way to learn is with hands on experience. I have some other cows that are expecting. The next time I will help you learn how to help, then let you try it on your own with the following one.

Great. That way I can help out even more. Let me make you some dinner tonight. How does a nice pot pie sound?

That would be wonderful, replied the farmer. I can go get cleaned up while you make it.

A half hour later, the two men were sitting down enjoying a freshly made chicken pot pie.

This Is great, what made you think of it, the farmer asked?

Simple. I saw we had the ingredients for one and I was hungry for it. Thank you for helping me to learn about farming. This is one industry I want to stay in for a for time.

Thats great. I really appreciate your help. You have helped to take care of me, transporting the produce to the market, and with all the tasks around the farm. I don't know if I can ever fully repay you.

Don't mention it. You have done more to help me than most people think of. We have helped each other in our own times of need.

You got that right. I hope you saved some room. I made a cake earlier today while taking a little rest from the work. I hope chocolate is fine.

Chocolate is one of my favorites. I haven't had chocolate cake in 3 years since my wife passed away.

I'm sorry to hear about that. The young man said as he passed the farmer a big slice of cake.

It's ok. I just went down memory lane for a few minutes. This cake is delicious. Where did you learn to cook like this.

My Mother taught me how to cook during high school. There is one other reason I needed to help you. You see, I never knew my father. My mother said he was a farmer many years ago and lived in this village. That's what brought me to this village to begin with a year ago. When I met you and started helping to transport your crops, I was almost positive that you are my father. One question for you to help confirm it. Do you remember a lady named Jane Anderson?

Yes, I do. I knew her and dated her shortly before I met my wife. As you are aware, I slept with her and got her pregnant. Unfortunately, she left me before I knew anything about her being pregnant. I'm sorry it took so long for you to find me. We can make up for lost time starting now, if you want.

That would be wonderful. I know now that if you had known about me, you would have been there for me. It's just I wanted to make sure that you were my father before I asked or assumed anything.

I understand that, said the farmer, as he wrapped his long lost son in a heartfelt hug. I love you son. I know we missed a lot of years together and had only a couple months together. The farmer wiped a tear from his eye.

I love you too, Dad. I'm glad that we finally found each other and it is better than I could have hoped for, said the young man as he returned his dad's hug in a tight embrace. You will never know how much I have wanted this.

I always wanted a son, but my wife was barren and couldn't have kids. We were disappointed but we thought it was for the best.

They Stood there for a moment in silence, feeling the love that neither had ever known before.

Thanks again for all of your help with the farm. You really came through when I had that dizzy spell.

And They lived happily ever after

July 14, 2020 04:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.