0 comments

African American

    It all started back then….

To be honest I don't actually remember back then. I only remember the day that it started and what I decided to do with what happened on that fateful day that was like no other.

    It was a typical Thursday night. I had just come home from the rec center and finished teaching a bunch of three year olds how to do a somersault. I was exhausted and was anticipating the feel of my aft and inviting bed.

    I walked down the hall of my small apartment and I could hear the wood floor boards unremarkable me crea and groan.  I can't wait to get out of the little shack.  I thought. There was one good thing about this little place though. The window. It was magnificent. It had a small border of purple and red stain glass roses around the actual window, and the clear part of the window was huge and took up 6 feet of my wall. Although my apartment was in the heart of the city it was als the top floor and so the window overlooked the bustling and disgusting city and on the distant mountains. It was breathtaking and no matter how many times I look through the large window it never ceases to amaze me. But that’s no surprise because I’m sure you have heard people say how the sun setting and rising always amazes them or the aurora borealis no matter how many times they see it. 

    Today as I walked by the beautiful piece of glass separating me from the polluted air I felt something strange. I’m not quite sure what I felt but I had the urge to stand in front of the window longer than usual. So I did. And as I looked through it I could see my reflection through it. It was light and I could still see the mountains through it. I thought about it and I suppose my reflection has always been there because that’s just the way glass works, but there was something funny about it. Then I realized it wasn’t my reflection in the glass.

    It was very obvious that this window was not built into the apartment originally because with all it’s magnificence it definitely stood out from the rest of the dark and dirty 500 sq foot apartment. So I suppose that whoever lived here before Imoved in put it in.  Did they do something to mess with the glass of it?

    I looked through the glass and there was nobody on the other side and the ref;action of someone who was most definitely not me was doing everything I did. My breathing got heavy and I could feel my heart beat faster in my chest. 

I ran away from the glass and into the small bathroom. I looked into the mirror and I could feel my heart drop into my feet. The person who had been staring at me from the mirror was now looking back at me through this very ordinary mirror. 

I have short curly black hair that puffs up and is typically kept in neat braids or a bun on the top of my head. I have darker skin and chocolate colored eyes. I have thick eyebrows and diamond stud in my nose. But I am 100% sure that the person staring back at me was not me. This person was a woman in her thirties, I am in my twenties. This woman looking at me also had bright red lips that stood out against her ghost pale face. She has dark brown hair and bangs. She has shocking blue eyes and probably like 50 layers of makeup on. 

I ran away from the mirror and back to the window. But the person staring at me was not the pale faced woman in the mirror. All the color drained from my face and I looked down at my hands. These were not my small brown hands. These were much larger paler hands with bright red nail polish on. I felt for my familiar dark curls and I felt long straight hair. I pulled it into my face and it was the color of sand. 

I looked back at the mirror and the blonde person that was there moments ago was now replaced by a teenage girl with orange hair and a face full of freckles.  What in the world is going on? Am I hallucinating? So I ran to my small cramps bedroom and pulled the covers over my apparently younger face and bright orange hair. 

I thought long and hard for ages about the causes of this crazy thing that was appending. The answer that esteemed most likely and yet so crazy was the window was magic or bewitched. After ordering for five hours and it was now about three in the morning I gathered enough courage to get out of my bed and look through the glass. Since it was three in the morning the sky was dark and no light was cast into the room but once  I made my way over to the window  I closed my eyes and braced myself for what was about to happen. I looked into the window and I saw another person staring back at me, this time a tall slender woman with the facial features of possibly an angel, and eyes that pierced into my souls it seemed. I looked down and sure enough I was 5 inches taller than I had been and I could feel long waves of thick chocolate hair fall at my bare shoulders. 

The question still came flooding into my head but still had no answers. So I decided to go make a batch of cookies. It was four in the morning once I had finished my batch of cookies.

I went down the old creaky hall again and yawned. I stopped hesitantly at the window and when I looked in I was not the beautiful supermodel I was a very average looking girl in my twenties with long braided hair extensions and beautiful dark skin and almost black eyes. She was still quite tall but not quite as tall as the person I had been four seconds before.

I went off to my room trying to accept the magical window and whatever person I was right now. Then an idea came with the wind. My small normal window was open and a breeze filled the room and with it an idea rushed in. 

June 05, 2021 19:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.