University Spring Dance

Submitted into Contest #35 in response to: Write a story that takes place at a spring dance.... view prompt

6 comments

General


Joan’s friend had been bugging her for two semesters to go to the UBC graduate dance to celebrate their success. There is a different night for different categories. Those who earned: Minors, Certificates, Diplomas (including Post-Graduate diploma), Associates all their turn to celebrate their graduation. They were considered the tier one education level dance level. The next level is tier two which includes those who have graduated with bachelor’s and masters. The third tier is for the PhD and Doctorate students. Joan was graduating with her Bachelor’s in Engineering, one of the few in her graduating class. She graduated two years earlier than most at the age of 16.

Now the week of her last final exam was coming, if she passed with 65% or higher, she will get her bachelor’s in engineering. She was excited, but nervous. Her friend Jessie went running up to her to talk to her.

Hey Joan, ready for today’s exam? You pass, you graduate and get to go the big dance on the 2nd of next month. It’s the big day, said Jessie.

Don’t remind me Jessie said Joan. I am excited but nervous, it is still an exam after all said Joan.

Yes of course. Let’s go. It’s 12:55 pm. The exam is in five minutes said Jessie.

During the exam Joan was sweaty, and kept re-reading the same line repeatedly, but took a deep breath, and then the information that she needed to know came back to her, and then she applied her knowledge and understanding. Three hours later her work felt like that wisdom on paper, and on the computer.

So how did it go Joan, said Jessie.

Jessie, it started off terrible. I was so dam nervous you can see sweat flowing from my arms down to the ground. However, I took a deep breath and tried not to think about any bad and just concentrated on the exam. That’s the important thing you know Jessie. And I kept telling myself to concentrate, and that’s what I always done. For most people that probably would not work, however, for me it works. So that is what I use when I find myself in a difficult concentration situation. From that point onward, I found myself doing much better mentally and thus much better overall. In fact, I feel like I did very well, not just at the point where I got myself together. I even went over the work I could go back and check. You know I would have done that for the entire exam if we could, but we weren’t as you know. How did you do? said Joan.

Yes, Joan we weren’t. I am glad you recovered from your early stumble in the exam. I think I did well too. I am excited for both of us. Anyway, I claim Michael for the dance, he is going to the dance too if he passes of course. Tickets go on sale next week. Are you go to ask Anthony to the dance? He’s your age, and you like him. You guys both graduated two years early from high school and took many university classes together. I heard he likes you too said Jessie.

Yes, but…

Jessie interrupted and said Yes, and… successful people say yes, and, not yes, but.

Okay, Jessie, okay.

Anyway, I want to ask him to the dance, but he is always busy with his full-time paid Engineering internship said Joan.

So? Ask him anyway. He is not taken. Trust me I checked! Trust me! He wants you to be his girlfriend. He is just shy. He even admitted to it, but he’s doing well. He’s a nice guy, earning a good living already and technically he hasn’t even gotten a degree yet. He is religious, devout Catholic like you. We hung out and I got to meet his family. They are good people including his siblings said Jessie.

You met his family!!!!!!!!! That’s what people say when people are dating or getting or are engaged! Why did you met his family, said Joan?

Joan, are you listening to yourself? Friends hang out, they sometimes go to their own homes and their families are at home at that time. So, they end up meeting their family. Doesn’t that follow from that logic? I already told you. I was also with other friends too at the time that I was with him, so it was not anything like a date. So, Joan just relax said Jessie.

I guess you are right, I was out of line there, sorry said Joan.

That’s okay. It is fine. It’s normal. I think said Jessie.

Joan and Jessie were still outside the test door, both waiting for Anthony and Michael to finish since the time allotted for the exam was almost over and that they were the last ones to finish.

Michael and Anthony finished their test at the same time. They walked out together.

How was the exam Michael, said Jessie?

Too great. It was almost too easy, so I took my time said Michael.

That’s great. So, I know you took courses and got certification as an electrician. And now you have been working as an Electrician for two years, now right?

Ya Jessie who told you that?

Jessie replied, Amanda my friend.

Oh, my friend Amanda is your friend too?

Ya Jessie responded.

Ya you must be proud since your electrician who now when the exam results come in will likely graduate with your degree, allowing you to become an electrical engineer eh?

You’re right Jessie.

You must be excited she continued. How are you going to celebrate if, or even when you do graduate?

I don’t know Jessie, honestly, I have no plans. I have not thought about it too much.

Jessie responded, then that’s perfect because then you can come to school’s dance for tier two graduates like us, assuming we pass this exam.

Sure, Jessie let’s go said Michael.

Chapter Two


The big dance day came. Jessie and Joan met at Joan’s home and Michael and Anthony met at Michael’s home. Michael drove Anthony to Joan’s house. Joan offered them a drink of water Anthony took a glass, but Michael.

Wow!!!!!!! Joan you look so beautiful said Anthony.

Her cheeks were blushing much. But it was true she really was beautiful. She has a strapless dark red dress on.

Thanks, said Joan.

You are welcome said Anthony.

You too! said Michael.

Joan replied you two both look dashing.

Anthony was wearing a dark blue jacket with a white dress shirt, brown sunglasses, brown and black belt, and light blue dress pants and black dress shoes. Michael was wearing a blue jacket, sunglasses, a cream colour shirt, navy blue tie, and light blue dress pants with light brown dress shoes.

Jessie was wearing a light blue dress, something that she had struggled with. She liked her yellow dress but became happy when she saw that she was matching Michael’s clothing choices.

Let’s hurry the dance starts in 20 minutes and it takes about 10 minutes to get there it important that we get there on time. They quickly got into the car. Michael being the driver, and Anthony to his left and the two girls in the back seat.

Ten minute later the four of them arrived at the university. Michael opened the door for Jessie. Anthony walked through next, holding the hold open for Joan. Michael had the tickets for all four of them. He pulled them out handing them to the receptionist. The receptionist dressed in a yellow dress herself said your table is down the right, table number eight. There are small snacks on your table already, but the food won’t be served for another hour. Feel free to mingle with the other tables said the receptionist.

Anthony, normally an introvert spoke up and was trying to move out of his comfort zone and said looking at her name tag saying thank you Danielle.

Anthony held Joan’s hand, and Michael held Jessie’s hand. Miranda Cosgrove’s “Kissing You” was playing in the background. Michael asked Jessie if she wanted a glass of punch. She said sure! Michael left and grabbed her one and met his friend Jordan they were old buds who graduated with his bachelor’s in Physics. They had a good fifteen-minute conversation of their past because they had not seen each other in like five years. In the meantime, Jessie started to wonder where he was and started looking for him, but could not find him since he and his friend Jordan had drifted away from the punch table to somewhere else on the super large multiple-floor dance area. So, she started to search for other people to talk to, especially other female friends to ensure that Michael would not get jealous.

Anthony didn’t offer Joan anything, but he did ask her to dance with him. She happily accepted. They entered the dance floor and slowly danced a slow Texas-two step and slowly drifted to the middle. By that time the music switched from “Kissing You” to Taylor Swift’s “Lover.” Then there was a crowd slowly joining in them also doing a Texas-Two step. After ten minutes of romantic dancing, Jordan walked up on stage and requested the DJ to play “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon. The DJ Arielle Ip, played it. And Jordan dancing like a weirdo. Michael saw this and from above and rapidly ran down the first floor where the stage is.

 He pulled him aside and whispered in his ears “get off the stage and stop dancing like a wierdo. You look like an idiot. People will make fun of you.”

Moments after that brief conversation, people started cheering and laughing.

See!! Their laughing at you said Michael.

If they were laughing at me then why would some be cheering for me responded Jordan.

Because you are controversial right now said Michael.

Now, its because they love me, but if you want, I will get off this stage and dance somewhere else and do so more traditionally replied Jordan.

Yes, said Michael.

Ok, responded Jordan. Jordan got off the stage.

Michael told Arielle to play a different song. Thanks.

Arielle then played “Love Yourself” by Justin Bieber, one of his favourites because the younger crowd loved it, but he forgot that he was the bachelor’s and the master’s degree folks and not the diplomas, minors, etc. folks.

Michael happened to find to find Jessie mingling with her friends, who were mostly female.

The crowd went boo!!!!!!!!! Bring that guy up on the stage again and change the music again.

Jordan found Michael and Jessie and said tapped on Michael’s shoulder, and said look they want me up there, you were wrong, and I am right.

Then go said Michael.

Jordan headed up stage and the song “

The song that was playing was “Stay” by Zedd, Alessia Cara. The crowd cheered and said “pump up the music. PUMP IT UP! PUMP IT PUMP.”

So, like a sheep following his shepherd Mr. Ip did what they said to do. And Jordan continued to dance. A line began to form again when the music changed to the Mr. C the Slide Man “Cha-Cha Slide.” After nine mins of dancing it was time to eat and Mr. Ip said to crowd food is ready. We are going to go in order of table number odds then even.

There were twenty-six tables.

A person from table three stood up and yelled we want to eat now!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Ip said, okay, your table can eat first, but the plan was to go odds then even. Is that okay wit you guys?

There were crickets. Nobody seemed to care except that one guy. It’s always like that thought Mr. Ip.

So, table three got up and took their food.

Everybody just continued dancing. The next song that played was “What Makes You Beautiful” by One direction. At this time Michael took the initiative to ask Jessie to ask her to sit down at the table to prepare for their meal. Right then and there Jessie asked him to dance.

Michael responded I don’t know. We just sat down, and our food is coming, but it does have words that I like and that I think are true about you. I can’t dance right now. Let me go to the washroom.

Okay, said Jessie.

Michael stood up, but as soon as he got up, he ripped one—a big one.

Dude!!!!! Said his other friend at the table.

The rest of them started cracking up into laughter, except for Jessie, who said “its okay.”

The entire trip to the washroom he kept gassing. And people were saying, what is that smell? Who keeps doing that? At least get out of the building when you are doing that. Its so impolite when people are there one person yelled. Then a young woman wearing a light green dress in her early twenties another person who stood up from her table saying “He can’t help it; he keeps farting while he is walking. Look he’s out.”

Then the young woman who was wearing a dark purple dress complaining about Michael farting walked up to her and had a chat that became heated real fast. Another woman in a pink dress yelled out “that escalated quickly.”

Ladies, please, don’t fight, and if you do take it outside.

Immediately after, another young woman in a black dress came up to the girl that said escalated quickly and shoved her. Then the girl defending Michael saw that and punched the girl in front of her. And both girls pushed and shoved. By the time Michael came back from the washroom two girls were in the were being rushed to the hospital and two were being charged criminally with assault and threats. Michael had saw the police and security team had broken up the fight.  

After the fight the dance continued.

The mood changed and never returned.

The song at that played next was “You Belong with Me.” By Taylor Swift. Michael said I am back. What happened?

Jessie responded two fights broke out all because you farted a few times.

Are you upset at me, said Michael?

No of course not! I am the only one that defended you at the table as soon as you stood up and farted. Though there was another girl that defended you later as you started to walk away said Jessie.

Ya I heard part of that. That’s so stupid. Just leave them and don’t worry about anything said Michael.

Ya of course said Jessie.

Then they stood up and started to dance. When Anthony saw this Anthony copied Michael and asked Joan to dance to the “What Makes You Beautiful” from One Direction. Joan accepted. Anthony started to do a Texas-Two-Step, even though it was not the most suitable type of dance. So, Joan questioned it saying, “Are you sure you want to dance this dance?”

Well it does have great words that suit the type of dance we are doing said Anthony.

Okay, what the heck! responded Joan.

Then Anthony and Joan started to talk a little, but Anthony could not get off his mind Jessie. And then he said, Joan there is something that has been bothering me all year and especially today.

What is it Anthony? Replied Joan.

I am in love with Jessie, not you. I want to ask her out now. Do you mind? Could I? I don’t love you. I like you as a friend said Anthony.

Oh, feeling sad, but she replied Ya, go ahead.

At that moment, Michael was dancing with Jessie.

Can I interrupt said Anthony?

You want to dance with her? Said Michael.

No, I want to talk to you first said Anthony.

Oh, okay, that’s fine said Michael.

Look, I like Jessie. Can I make her my girlfriend? We can trade girls. They both are great said Anthony.

Michael’s jaw dropped in surprise but agreed because he also thought that they were both great girls, even though that he thought that Jessie loved him. He was willing to risk it for his best friend, as stupid as it sounded.

Let’s tell them after we eat because its our turn to get our food said Anthony.

I concur said Michael.

So told Joan and Jessie its time to grab food, and together the four of them and the rest of the people at the table got up and grabbed their food. After 15 minutes of eating, they laughed and talked for a few minutes. Then Michael walked up to Joan and asked her to dance and Anthony did the same thing. They were a little surprised, but both accepted.

Before Anthony could start dancing with Jessie, he kissed her briefly on her lips for a few seconds. She enjoyed it, feeling a tingling sensation, and warmth coursing through her veins of love and sensation. Michael on the other hand explained that he wanted to go out with her (Joan) and before she could respond he kissed her. Simultaneously after they finished, the girls agreed simultaneously.

Let’s go, said Michael. They all got up and headed toward the car. Michael first drove Jessie home. Anthony stepped out and walked her to the door, holding hands. Jessie asked Anthony to come in. He responded, aren’t your parents at home?

No silly, I live alone. I own this apartment said Jessie.

Oh, okay, replied said Anthony.

Jessie put on the song 22 her favourite. They sat down and began kissing.

Seeing that they had entered the home Michael dropped home Joan. And Joan invited him inside and Michael listened. They sat down and she immediately grabbed him started kissing and a button on her phone hit playing the song “You Belong to Me” by Taylor Swift.

 















March 30, 2020 23:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Neha Dubhashi
21:13 Apr 08, 2020

You switch between past and present-tense at the beginning of the story. Use quotation marks for dialogue (unless you're not using them to match your style, which would be pretty cool). There are a few grammatical errors, but nothing too flagrant. This was a fun read. I love your writing style. :)

Reply

SHERWIN D'SOUZA
01:00 Apr 18, 2020

Thanks for the compliment and the reply. I will consider that (using quotes, unfortunately that was not intended. It will be a tough adjustment because that takes time. It seems so easy. But its a mental thing. Its like you say a style thing, making it difficult. It is weird that you are are saying that there are grammatical errors. I put it through Word, and read it over multiple times and even when it got copied and pasted into the document. Darn.

Reply

Neha Dubhashi
03:59 Apr 18, 2020

I'm so sorry--I didn't mean to be too harsh. I'm from the critique circle and wanted to give you the best edits possible. I always have trouble with grammatical errors, so it's nothing to worry about and reflects nothing on your writing prowess--which, by the way, is impressive (I stalked your other stories after Reedsy emailed me about you). I use Word just for documents, but it's not the best at catching small mistakes. Try Hemingway and Grammarly. And you're right about this being a mental thing. No one knows how strong us writers are. ;)...

Reply

SHERWIN D'SOUZA
05:22 Apr 18, 2020

Thanks for response. I do use Grammarly. I heard of the other one too. I posted another stories. Believe me I want you to read my other stories. We are writers too. Plus I want to win some win some money too. More people who like this maybe, just maybe other people (the editors and readers who give award will like the work I do too) and maybe I will win some money too. I have been published on buses (with suede names), and in books before but only singular poems, or excerpts and was nominated as Canada's top amateur's poets. I won a paragrap...

Reply

Neha Dubhashi
18:25 Apr 18, 2020

Wow! Those achievements are impressive. Don't worry too much about competitions now--if I'm being honest, I also used to care about winning. Focus on producing your best work and take all the time you want. And I'll shower you with constructive criticism when I reread your other stories. Lots of love and positive vibes! <3

Reply

SHERWIN D'SOUZA
20:41 Apr 18, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.