26 comments

Drama Western

I believe reality is relative, especially when what you see from behind a screen is designed, produced, and created by someone else. 

Our visitors come searching for the real world, a place where the sun shines, and they can touch the reality around them. We were going to give it to him, though he won't like what he’s going to get. 


Sally and I sat in our usual spot, the weight of the slow summer afternoon heavy on our shoulders, almost forgetting we had a job to do, when he finally stepped off the train.  


Long and thin, his hooded sweatshirt hung loose over tight jeans, his shoes so white they were hard to look at. Not that Sally and I looked up. He would find us we knew, eventually.


“Hello?” The man said, a smirk on his bearded face, a black rectangular bag rolling behind him. His hands danced around him, a constant blur of touching, his fingers rubbing his flat front pocket. 


Long practiced at sitting, we didn’t move. Just a middle aged man and woman in overalls and flannel shirts, we weren’t much to look at, and on the wooden bench, in that rattling old train station we fit as if we had been carved from the same tree as the bench. 


“So this is Stillwater?” The man’s feet moved, a step backward, his hand on the bag’s tall handle, opened and then closed over it, adjusting its placement next to him. He cleared his throat. “My name’s Zach, I was supposed to meet someone? ” The words, crisp and sharp, bounced around the faded wood walls of the waiting room, before falling to the floor unanswered. 


 “I had an appointment. Zach?” His anxiety ,that something went wrong, pulsed as palpable as the throbbing at his neck.


“Um, Yes.” The word left my lips with a puff of air, almost a breath. 


Sally, next to me on the bench of the Stillwater train station nodded her head, finally acknowledging him. 


Zach smiled, looking around. “I can’t believe this place. You both are just perfect. Just like the TikTok reels. ” He breathed in, and then out. “Smells like peace, and nature! No notifications, no calls, not even texts. This is going to be the best weekend of my life. Let’s go!”


We lived in Stillwater, a spot on the map where a quirk of geography, an accumulation of elements, reached up creating a dome of magnetic resonance to disrupt compasses, fry most electronics, and block cell phone signals.

 Mountains surrounding the valley kept the weather fair, windless on most days, and even more so today, when the air sat thick and stagnant, and even the smallest insects stayed home.  


We stood up and stepped outside. Zach paused at the curb, his head twisting up and down the empty street. His frown only lasted a moment before his face cracked into a grin. “We’re getting our steps in!” He said, stepping forward, the rolling bag clicking on the rough and cracked street.  


“Only way to get around.” I said, not looking back.


We passed gaping doors and empty windows of store after store. Stillwater had a thriving main street once, but now the toothless smile of a dying man. 


For some people this had a certain appeal, a place where the rush of commerce and modern technology had passed by, skipping over Stillwater like a spinning rock on a pond. The golden hue of nostalgia had turned the neglected buildings into ‘old timey', our lifestyle ‘vintage’, the broken furniture into ‘antiques’.  


Visitors from these big cities came to experience what life could be like if they could just be still. They talked about ‘modern technology’ in grand words, wide eyes, and dramatic gestures. 


But underneath they were searching for something real.  Burned out trying to keep up with their neighbors, they wanted the promised dream, but didn’t want to pay the price of running on the wheel of commerce like a rat in a cage. In Stillwater nothing happened and for some, that had value.


They stopped outside the old hotel, and Sally gestured for Zach to continue in.  

Sally joined me at the bench outside the door, watching the empty street, motionless as a photo. 


“Think he’ll make it? ” I asked her.   


She kicked the wood of the hotel porch with her boot. “Doubt it. But he’s cute, so...” 


Only a few minutes later Zach appeared at our side again, a bright sparkle in his eyes. 


“That's a tiny room! So, what do you all do for fun around here?” He said, bouncing on his toes. 


Sally nudged me with her elbow as she stood up, and we continued down the street.  


Sally and I did what we could to get by, lately playing tour guide to these lost souls, our once promising careers crashed into evils of capitalism. 

 Years ago an entrepreneur had taken advantage of the nearby lake and the deep deposits of iron ore to build a thriving factory town. But a leveraged buyout, and the collapse of the only jobs in town drove the businesses and most of the people out to find a life in bigger, busier cities. Not too many of us stayed, and I have to say I liked it.  


We walked down the small path toward the rocky shore of Lake Stillwater. Sally and I pulled over to our favorite spot overlooking the lake, the high mountains just beyond.  


“It's so nice to just sit!” Zach said, standing at the edge of the lake. He picked up a rock and threw it, an awkward parabola curling into the water. It landed with a soft splash and then was gone, not even a ripple in its wake. 


“I can't believe this place really exists. He tapped his empty pocket again, and then rubbed his hand down his thigh. “A video of this, the post would get a hundred likes, a thousand. 

If I hadn’t deleted TikTok....” Zach spoke more to himself than us.  


“But, someone must’ve taken a video. I saw this exact scene on a TikTok reel. ‘A place to get away’!’’” Zach spoke, light and high pitched. “I wonder how…”


“An old camcorder.” I said, with only a hint of pride.


“That’s how I heard about this Town.” Zach nodded over his shoulder to us, another rock launched into the water. “This was the right decision, I needed a break, I was losing my mind. Just jittery all the time, always on a screen.”


“I had to leave my phone, can you believe that? I mean I knew they would, there were warnings. And it wouldn't have worked anyway, I guess. But I didn't believe it. How can people live without a phone?” Zach turned, a sheepish grin. 


 “I guess you do, but you don’t need it, don’t even want one do you? I mean you live here, with fresh air and… I haven’t been this long without my phone since-”

 He tapped his pocket once more. “Well, a long time.”


“OK then.” Zach turned, hands on his hips looking back at us. “Is there a hike around the lake, or something?”


I looked up, confused. “Hike?”


“You know, a hike, a walk, around.” He gestured, spinning his arm in a wide, flat circle toward the lake. I usually go to Golden Gate Park.  

OK, I follow a TikTok'er who goes to Golden Gate Park, and I go, well sometimes." Zach made a full turn, his arms wide. “Nature! This is my chance right? To experience the natural world, to see new plants, animals…”


“We walked here.” I shrugged, and then put my head back down. The sand didn’t stir. The leaves on the trees didn’t tremble, but lingered, limp in the dry heat; no breeze drifted in to cool our brows. Stillwater lake lay flat, a glass reflection of the hot, desiccated sky above. 


“OK, no hike.” Zach sat down next to us. “I can do this, just relax, a beautiful lake. We can just talk, like a group text, but IRL.” 

Zach’s hands were flying around again, touching his knees, his shoes, itching at his close cropped beard. In a sudden motion he stopped his hands, carefully folding them together.

“Mr. BetterLife, the therapist App I use, texted me to just breathe, and to listen.” He breathed in, then out, a long slow breath.

“So, are you both from here, or-?” Zach looked over expectantly. 


I’m always amazed at the power of silence, the space that slowly opens up when a person expects an answer and it doesn't come. I watched to see how Zach would do. After a moment, I could see him settle in, his face went slack preparing himself to wait us out for a response.


Zach, just an amateur at this game, of course had no chance. Working with the visitors, I’ve learned there are stages to how silence impacts these technology addicts.


It started with an itch. I saw Zach begin to move around, a slight irritation in his shirt had to be adjusted, something on his nose, and a rock pulled out from underneath him.


Then it becomes a need, an urgency to see if his ears still worked, his mind demanding some sound to fill the silence. Zach kicked a rock, then smirked at the click- clack as it bounced off another rock. A pistol shot of a cough, once then twice.  


Finally it became too much, the wide open silence needed to be filled, a yawning, open crater that threatened to swallow him whole. His face began to change, tightening, fear creeping in as his eyes darted at the nothingness threatening him. 


“-I’m from Wisconsin originally-” Zach gave in finally, his voice loud and sharp, a sword against the monstrous quiet. “After college I moved to San Francisco for a tech job, UI work at first, user interface.” Zach turned to see if we understood. I stared back, blank and confused. 

“Now I work from home, backend software coding, for an online dating site.” Zach’s chest puffed out, a smile on his face. “You’ve probably heard of it…”


His smile faded. “Ok, maybe you haven't heard of it." He picked up a rock and dropped it. “I actually spend most of my time on TikTok. I never leave the house, I don’t have any friends. That’s why I’m here…” 

 He dried his cheeks with his palms.

“Maybe we should move on to lunch.”    


Zach stood, brushing his pants, dust falling straight down onto his now dirt-brown shoes. He took long strides along the rocks. 

“Like a 'greasy spoon' restaurant or maybe a chuck wagon?” He laughed, a few short chuckles until the sound faded to nothing in the dead air. 


“There’s a diner.” I said. “It serves both hot dogs, and hamburgers.”


Zach stepped back, his hands at his throat. “But I’m vegan. “I read there are vegan options?”


I turned to Sally, confused. 


“Potatoes.” Sally said. “Baked, or boiled?” Her head tilted in a question.  


“My god.” Zach put both hands on his head. “You know, there is a great world out there. His long arm gestured to the horizon. 

“I could take you to where there is real food, where there are, movies, social media, and cars!”


“OK, let me explain so you can understand.” Zach got onto one knee, proselytizing; his face bright red, eyes blazing coals. “These cars, metal beasts that roam the cities, can drive you places, you don’t have to walk everywhere! And phones- technology in little boxes that display images, you can make calls, text your friends. Take photos!  

There is an opportunity for you two to make something of yourselves, to get a job like mine, a software engineer! I can show you, and if you don’t like it I can bring you back. What do you think?” 


Sally and I stared back, open-mouthed at this outburst. 


“I can't live like this!” Zach shouted. “Nothing happens! You sit, and eat -potatoes, and then sit again!” 


 Zach turned. “I got to go, I can't take another minute-”


I tilted my head, a train whistle in the distance. 


“ A train leaves soon, you might make it if you go straight there.” Sally said.


Zach stepped toward the road, and then turned back. “My bag,” his hands out, pleading. “Can you FedEx it?”


“fedecks?” I gave him a blank stare. 


“Oh goddamn it, I'm done. I need to get back to reality, and people and TikTok.”


The train whistled again, louder, closer. Zach took off in a full sprint.  


Sally looked at me and nodded. We turned back to the lake, a comfortable silence until we heard the train leave, taking Zach back home.  


I pulled out my satellite phone, and tapped a few buttons. “They should pay a bonus if they don’t last the day.” I said.  


Sally nodded. “ I got dibs on his bag. “on the last one, I made a fortune selling the clothes on Depop and Ebay. People will buy anything.” Sally gave me a wide smile.


Hungry? “ I asked. “I’m thinking Sushi. TikTok is buying!” I held up my phone as we began walking back down the path. I stripped down to my Nike t- shirt and Lululemon shorts. 

“I hate flannel, so itchy. The visitors are getting more and more desperate. It’s sad really, they can’t handle reality. “


 “Reality?” Sally smirked, pulling out her own phone from her overalls. “I’ll get the Uber.”


June 07, 2024 06:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Noah Graham
17:30 Jun 15, 2024

Liked the story. Didn't like the tour guides as tour guides or people, but I don't think I was supposed to.

Reply

Marty B
05:16 Jun 16, 2024

Thanks! They weren't likable characters! Annoying personalities aren't good friend material but good for stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
16:57 Jun 12, 2024

Fabulous story - the ending was unexpected but maybe it shouldn’t have been. This is the world we live in. You captured the materialism and our inability to slow down and give up the fast pace of life and technology. You also made us laugh at ourselves. Well done.

Reply

Marty B
20:04 Jun 12, 2024

Materialism is hard to give up, because it makes everything, food, travel, communications- easy. But what do we give up for that ease? I believe sometimes the waiting, the inconveniences can be beneficial. People are no longer used to being told no :( Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:26 Jun 12, 2024

These two. So clued up in secret. Pretending to live the lifestyle they promote. What a twist. What a laugh. Shame Zach gave up so soon. I laughed when he tried to educate the couple about city life. He had it bad. People should limit their screen time for their own good. Great story. You cleverly covered both aspects of this prompt. Even if the ones slowing down were pretending!

Reply

Marty B
20:05 Jun 12, 2024

What is real, what is pretend? Everyone gets caught up in their own little worlds, they forget to stop and think about others. Thank you for stopping by!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John McPhee
19:40 Jun 10, 2024

Good job Marty! I guess I've read too many suspense stories, I thought they might turn out to be cannibals and poor Zach would be history! LOL. Nice surprise at the end - I love a story with a good surprise.

Reply

Marty B
21:58 Jun 10, 2024

Ha! No cannibals, but I could see that ending. Maybe if he as fatter, and not vegan. I bet vegans arent quite as- flavorful- Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
01:03 Jun 10, 2024

Very clever story concept and characters! Social commentary on our times and it is interesting to compare people today with all the tech activities and communication with people and life before the internet. A great story to entertain us and get us thinking about life today too. Well done!

Reply

Marty B
20:07 Jun 12, 2024

I think people in the past would be both shocked about how much we rely on technology, and want in! Technology makes many things easier, although Im not sure if that is better or worse. Inter personal relationships have definitely suffered. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:54 Jun 09, 2024

I was about to say :The sound of silence. And then you took that away. (I've never been to tik tok) :-)

Reply

Marty B
23:38 Jun 09, 2024

TikTok is incredibly addictive, so you’re good! Thanks!

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:56 Jun 09, 2024

Oh, good. have enough addictions and vices. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
07:56 Jun 09, 2024

Hahahaha what a twist. I was actually thinking as I got to the end....these two have a great peaceful life free of all the noise and screens and non stop drama of modern life. I would totally make it there sign me up now! And then. . Rug pull! Haven't been here all year but I definitely missed your words Marty!

Reply

Marty B
23:39 Jun 09, 2024

It d be nice to be away from most technology- but a few modern conveniences are still needed;) Thanks for the good words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
13:57 Jun 08, 2024

I love it! Poor Zach can't handle a little time without his devices, meanwhile he's being swindled by them! Ha! Great twist. My all time favorite line was: ""We can just talk, like a group text, but IRL.”" Great stuff, Marty!

Reply

Marty B
18:08 Jun 08, 2024

Arent we all a little like Zach? When confronted with quiet, we go a little mad!? I was with a group of teens and they all spoke in such strange ways, full of statements and acronyms, I felt I was in a text chat!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:27 Jun 07, 2024

What a riot ! Such a gripping read this one. The descriptions, especially, were impeccable. Lovely work !

Reply

Marty B
22:17 Jun 07, 2024

Thanks, especially coming from the master herself!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:02 Jun 08, 2024

Me ? The master ? Oh my ! Too kind of you ! Thank you, Marty. I just putter about in the garden of language is all. Hahahaha ! Very welcome, though !

Reply

Marty B
04:43 Jun 08, 2024

Oh great line! Can I borrow that 'putter about in the garden of language'? Very appropriate for the beautiful prose flowers, the culling of extraneous weedy adjectives, and invasive plot points- ; )

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:50 Jun 08, 2024

The problem is I don't mind the thistle-like purple adjectives, and I leave them there. Hahahaha ! But yes, you may borrow that !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:33 Jun 07, 2024

So funny! Smooth job.

Reply

Marty B
17:57 Jun 07, 2024

Thanks Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Meyers
14:08 Jun 07, 2024

Just when I was starting to feel sorry for Zach he got condescending and I became a fan of these two swindlers. Great story, I was captivated from start to finish.

Reply

Marty B
17:59 Jun 07, 2024

Zach wanted a 'real mall town 'experience', and then he got it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.