0 comments

Suspense Fiction Mystery

This story contains sensitive content

❗️Swearing

❗️ Drowning

mild close to death scenes.



The movie theater was dark, silence fell upon the room as the movie came to an end. Whitney and Chad sat in silence, awaiting for the lights to come back on.


Their hands locked in unity, as Whitney lay her head softly on Chad’s shoulder,


“ Do the lights usually take this long?” Whitney asked, before placing her head back up again and looking around.


“ Well maybe they noticed it was just you and I in the whole movie theater, they want us to enjoy the dark a little bit longer.” He teased, before giving her a kiss.


She kissed him back before pulling away, “ Chad, don’t be so naughty.” She said, accompanied by a giggle.


Just then a new movie started, they both froze as the screen lit up and the music started playing. It sounded ominous, enough to bring chills all over Whitney’s body— even so she hated horrors and thrillers but they never gave her this feeling.


“ they must be confused, I’d be delighted to watch a movie for free, but I think I’ll pass on this one.” She said, while standing up. “ Let’s go.”


They stood up and left the screen playing, using their phone assistive lights to walk towards the door. Placing her hand on the handle and pulling—nothing.


“ it’s locked?” She turned to Chad.


“ let me try.” He said, as she moved to the side allowing Chad try to open the door. “ that’s weird…” 


She stood and looked at him, as they stood in darkness with only the light of their phones.


“ I didn’t think they locked when we watched a movie, but I guess let’s go back and watch.” Whitney suggested, anxious as she hated horrors, but what else could they possibly do.


They walked back towards the movie theater and the screen was black with the words, “ Are you ready?”


They sat back down at their initial seats, their hands locked as they watched the screen in utter silence.


“ Are you ready?” A voice came from the screen, and still they said nothing.


Whitney looked over at Chad, “ I don’t understand what’s going on here? What movie is this?”


Chad said nothing, only looked over at her and back at the screen before he answered, “ Yes.”


The words moved and the movie started, ominous music once again and the name of the movie  The test 


Even though they hadn’t been interested in watching a horror, Whitney had definitely been vigilant enough to have seen that there was no movie called “the test.”


“ Chad, you shouldn’t answer.” She whispered into his ear, before pulling away.


They both sat and watched the screen before it went pitch black again.


She looked over at Chad, whom she could no longer see due to the darkness. She grabbed her phone and tried to press it— OFF.


To save him you must answer questions and pass the test.


The writing on the screen said, before she saw Chad lay in a glass cube.


Confused as Chad still sat beside her— but unconscious.


“ Chad… Chad wake up.” She started to shake his body, but still no reply.


He wasn’t breathing, his heart beat at a stand still— he was dead.


“ He’s already dead!!!” She screamed, her voice echoed in the theater, “ How the fuck did you do this, who the fuck are you!!!” Tears started pouring out of her eyes uncontrollably, the warmth of them accompanied by the heat from the anger made her entire face sting.


To save him you must answer questions and pass the test.


“ What stupid question?” She snapped, walking towards the screen, “ What stupid question must I answer?!”


When is Chad’s birthday?


“ 6 June 1997.” She replied, the screen went blank before it turned green.


Very well, the game consists of an easy question, then hard. Though we have different levels, depending on how well you cooperate.


“ who the fuck said we want to play?”


Next question : I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have no body, but I come alive with wind. What am I? 


She rolled her eyes— it had to be a riddle.


You have 3 minutes to solve it.

2:59

2:58

2:57

2:56


The clock started counting down.


She held her head deep in thought, enough to cause herself a headache. She’d never been good with riddles. She turned and walked back toward Chad’s body, he was really not breathing which meant this was real, she had to figure it out.


Still, how was he still with her physically. Was this all in her head?


1:03

1:02

1:01

1:00

59

58

57

56


She rushed back towards the screen and looked up at the riddle, “ fuck— I don’t know, do I get a hint?!” She asked, frustrated.


Indeed, but only one throughout the test so it must be used wisely.


“ I’m ready to use it right now.” She replied, before she heard the screams of her boyfriend in pain echoing in the cinema.


Like a bad dream, she heard the suffering of her partner and still she couldn’t figure it out—the echo rung and rotated.


5

4

3

2


“  AN ECHO!!!” She quickly answered in panic.


The screen lit up green.


“ I don’t understand, you hurt him because I asked for a hint, I don’t get it?!” Frustrated and pissed off.


Due to an early hint request, we have decided to change it.


Best of luck Whitney.


She collapsed to the ground before waking up on the edge of a cliff with a rope around her ankle, and a huge brick.


The sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks, the current strong and deadly.


Everything happened slow, as the brick yanked her, her foot carrying all the weight which pulled her whole body down. The sky was black, the stars shimmering along with the moonlight, she held her breath as her body fell into the ocean.


She was focused on trying to untie the knot, which she couldn’t. 


The longer she took, the deeper she sank and the less chance of survival she’d have. Even so, if she did manage to do it, how could she possibly swim up to shore— what had she possibly done to deserve this?


She struggled, the ocean dark, she couldn’t see a thing— she gave up.


Then a light flickered before she saw Chad, she tried once more to save herself but still, she needed him.


Save me


Chad held his breath, and dived in. He kicked and used his hands to fight against the current of the water.


He saw her, sinking deeper, he saw her panic, struggling to untie the knot. He finally reached, he managed to help her untie the knot, but a too little late as she was unconscious. He starts panicking, gasping, and swallowing the water. No— no he was drowning.


His vision blurred as he swam up, his legs and arms kicking for dear life. He reached the top, gasped for air. He went back down and he got her, she—


He pulled her to the nearest sand and started performing CPR, hitting her chest. Her cold, lifeless chest. One...two...three, mouth to mouth as he blew into her, with his fingers covering her nose. She wasn’t waking up, she just wasn’t.


He stood up and held his head, tears flooding his face and blending in with the salt of the ocean.


He went back down, and she was gone...


He collapsed.


The movie theater was dark, silence fell upon the room as the movie came to an end. Whitney and Chad lay unconscious,


The sounds of sirens in the distance as the lights came back on.

May 27, 2022 08:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.