21 comments

Contemporary Fiction Inspirational

I am dancing, but it is more like existing. Existing here, in this perfectly beautiful place. My body absorbs everything around me: the delicious warmth of a never-setting sun, the reggae music, the luscious greenery of the mountains and valleys, the brightly colored flowers, the bare skinned people brushing up against me.

My body can’t help it: it is swaying slowly, rhythmically. It is liquid in its movements, gliding up and down and side to side. The music travels through my whole body like a river. Nowhere for it to escape, it just keeps swishing from one end to the other. My neck is a swing, lolling from shoulder to shoulder. I tilt my head back, exposing my throat. I close my eyes and let inertia, gravity, this place, flow through me however it wants. I’ve refilled this river so many times and it never overfills. It is never enough and it never runs dry.

Dry – no, it is never dry here, but it is never wet, either. There is no rain. Only mist - sometimes. It keeps us cool when we need it; it keeps the green leaves glistening. The ocean is always – always in sight, always in the air, always swooshing in the background as if someone is holding a seashell right up to my ear, just for me.

The drinks, they are bottomless. My hand is never empty unless it wants to be. My throat is never dry. Pink, orange, yellow, blue, all of the colors coat my lips, swim up my straw and spark a rainbow across my tongue. It is creamy and tart and citrus and bitter, but I am never dizzy. And there is no one to tell me it’s too much, because it never is.

The people, they are all smiling. Together, we move in sync with one another. They love how my body moves and I, theirs. We are bare and sweaty and warm. Our sweat glints in the light of the sun and smells like coconuts and shea butter. Our toes are the sand. We are like the leaves of the palm trees around us: we brush against each other, and our skin feels like stars holding hands – bright, fiery, sexy. We don’t say sorry. We don’t have to. We just keep swaying.

The singer, his voice is sultry, intoxicated by sunshine: It’s summertime baby, be my summertime baby.

This place is our summertime baby. It is perfect. There is nothing to worry about here. And I never, ever want to leave…

*

“And you go to this place often?” Dr. Schnell’s voice is low, but not sultry. Curious, but nonjudgmental.

I open my eyes, and I see the ceiling first. The air leaves me as if it is the last time.

In Dr. Schnell’s four walled beige room, my neck is a dead weight, anchored into the lumpy, puke-green couch cushion. There are panorama stock photos of beach scenes on the walls, and there is one indoor palm tree-like plant, but it’s plastic, evident by its dirt-less vessel. I feel my hands turn from their loose, palm-up, relaxed position into a tight grip around my knees.

I am sitting, but it is more like surviving.

“Uh, yeah. I guess so,” I say. My knee involuntarily starts to bounce.

“It sounds like a really beautiful place,” Dr. Schnell offers a closed lip smile.

“It’s my happy place,” I laugh nervously.

His smile deepens, lips remaining closed. He shifts in his chair, switching the leg that crosses over the other. He picks up the pen on his notebook, and then puts it back down without writing anything. He clears his throat, then he opens his mouth, the cusp of a word on his tongue, but he swallows it. He closes his mouth, sighing and smiling. Now, he’s silent and smiling. And staring. I hate when he does this.

“What?” I huff, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Well, I just have to wonder, Abby…is this place really your happy place?”

I furrow my brows. “What do you mean?”

He shifts again, letting out air. He’s treading lightly, doesn’t want to go where he’s going. I’m not sure I want him to either, but I have to know.

“Just say it.”

“Abby, how long have we been seeing each other?”

It seems like a question he should have the answer to, but it’s one I know, so I give it: “About two years.”

Dr. Schnell nods. “And do you remember why you reached out to me? What you sought treatment for?”

Another answer he of all people should know. I shrug my shoulders. “For my social anxiety.”

He nods again. “That’s right. And you’ve made pretty great strides over the years, wouldn’t you say? You’ve got a few new friends with whom you’ve developed wonderful and reciprocal relationships with. You’re putting yourself out there at work and you’re no longer feeling ostracized among your co-workers. You’ve really worked hard to overcome your anxiety. I think you should be really proud of that, don’t you?”

I straighten, offering a half smile. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“You’ve done so well, in fact, that I am wondering if perhaps, it’s no longer an issue for you anymore, this social anxiety?” Dr. Schnell’s eyes are edgy in their gaze, as if he’s hoping I’ll get to what he’s hinting at on my own. I don’t.

“So, you’re saying I’m cured?”

I hear the click of his tongue when his mouth pops open. His head tilts to one side. “Not exactly…”

“I’m not following…”

Dr. Schnell shifts again. This time, he picks up his notebook and pen and places it on the small table on the side of his chair. Then, he leans forward, resting his elbows on the tops of his knees. “Abby, this place of yours, this happy place that you’ve created in your mind…well, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s some sort of defense mechanism, an avoidance strategy, perhaps… You seem to be going there as a sort of escape from, well, life.”

I scoff, and then I huff. And then I scoff again. “No, I don’t.”

“Abby – “

“That’s not – I’m not escaping. That’s just my happy place. What? A person can’t have a day dream? A goal for their life?”

“Your goal for your life is to be intoxicated on a tropical beach, dancing with strangers?”

“Isn’t that everyone’s?” I counter.

He bites his lip, his head twitches slightly. He knows I’m right. “And where is the growth there, Abby?”

Confusion crinkles across my face. “Growth? What does that have to do with anything?”

Dr. Schnell leans back in his chair, recrosses his legs, removes his glasses. Glasses off means we’re in for a serious one. He sighs. I gulp. I didn’t realize how sweaty my hands were getting. “When was the last time you wrote anything, Abby?”

My entire body deflates and tenses at the same time. My heartrate excels. Flashes of bright white computer screens make my hands tremble. And like a Pavlovian dog, I hear faded reggae music somewhere in the distance, feel warm sand between my toes.

“Abby, I’m beginning to wonder if maybe you didn’t come to me for social anxiety at all. Heck, in your happy place, you’ve surrounded yourself with people!” He laughs, but it sounds like how I feel: nervous. His job seems hard. “When we met two years ago, you mentioned that you’re a writer, Abby, that you wanted to write a book?” Dr. Schnell pauses to meet my gaze. I catch it for a brief moment, then look away. “But every time I try to bring it up – how your writing is going – you seem to get pretty,” he considers the right word for a moment. “ – closed off. And I’m wondering why that is? Can we talk about that today?”

*

When I get home, I decide I hate Dr. Schnell. How dare he. How dare he assume that I am afraid to grow. How dare he accuse me of intentionally plateauing, accusing me of creating a safe space in my mind so I don’t have to face the real world. He said he thinks I am avoiding finishing my book because I’m too scared of what happens next. What the hell does he know? I hate him.

I plop on my bed and pull out my phone. I put on some pop music. I need something to calm me down. I close my eyes, and the sun is warm on my skin. I feel it move through my whole body, hear the ocean crashing, smell the coconuts and the flowers, crave the liquid rainbow…It is perfect here, nothing to worry about. I never want to leave…

Why haven’t you been writing?

A darkness falls over me. A bitter, cold silence, the only drum is the one thrumming in my chest. This was never here. I never allowed it.

God damnit, Dr. Schnell.

I turn off the music, and I grab my computer. The flashing black line taunts me, the way it always does. I want to throw it across the floor. I want to crack open the beer in my fridge. I want to fly across the ocean and hide on a beach.

My fingers find the keys, and for a moment – such a brief moment – it feels like legs finding the pedals of a bike. I think of scraped knees. I don’t know how to start. I don’t want to bleed. This used to be my favorite part, the first line, but now it feels like flying over the handlebars.

I close my eyes, exhale my expectations. I hit one key, then press another. I hear them make their sounds, slowly at first, and then it picks up. It’s rhythmic, like music, like a river. I am writing, but it is more like dancing.

This place isn’t perfect. There is plenty to worry about here. But strangely, I never, ever want to leave…

October 14, 2023 02:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Jorgen Madsen
06:03 Nov 01, 2023

I love this story. The wording you chose to describe her beach escape was captivating. "My throat is never dry. Pink, orange, yellow, blue, all of the colors coat my lips, swim up my straw and spark a rainbow across my tongue." this is pure gold and the best line I've ever read lol its genius

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:57 Nov 01, 2023

Thanks Jorgen. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
17:52 Oct 28, 2023

Hi AnneMarie! Oh, I do love a therapists conversation! As someone who has done mental health work, and as the child of a mental health professional, I feel like those intimate conversations are something that can help us understand each other in an entirely new light. I appreciated that this therapist wanted to help our main character grow, but sometimes it can be a challenge to do so, for both parties. I also liked the way that you incorporated that single line question because it helped us feel your main character’s heartache so beautifull...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
18:28 Oct 28, 2023

Thanks, Amanda! I love that advice - I have been trying to figure out a career I could do from a tropical beach 😂🌴

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
10:47 Oct 25, 2023

I’m so late to the game and a lot of people already said my thoughts out loud. 😅 The way it starts out so rhythmic, warm, and colorful and then drops off into the therapist office is like being in a lake or an ocean and you’re in that sweet spot until all of a sudden the shallow ground beneath your feet drops off and you can’t touch anymore. Which is exactly where the therapist hits her next. What she is avoiding and how she is avoiding it. All of a sudden she’s drowning and she can’t deny that she is. She’s left with no other option than ...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:21 Oct 25, 2023

You're so kind to read not one but two of my stories in one go - thank you! Yes, the contrast was stark: reality v. daydream. The daydream of course is warm and colorful - who wouldn't want to live in a daydream forever - while reality, well, in reality, we all need therapy LOL! I'm glad she chose to swim, too. I hope most people find their way there. Thanks again for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:49 Oct 19, 2023

Is there a more insidious form of procrastination, than finding a different problem and busying yourself fixing it? Schnell saw through it though - eventually. I like the parallels between the typing being music and the writing being dancing, vs the actual music and dancing in the beach fantasy. Writing once was the happy place, but something changed. All the happiest bits were cannibalized into the new fantasy - and what did that leave writing with? No wonder she didn't want to return. I'm sure this is a struggle lots of writers know. I...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
23:23 Oct 20, 2023

Hey Michal, thanks for reading. Perfectly aligned with this story, I had a hate-love relationship with this piece, mostly hate 😂 I used writing as the passion here, but I really think this message goes much further. It's so easy to choose the pleasantries of life and avoid hardship and challenges. When I wrote it, I meant it: who doesn't want to live on an island and drink and dance and abandon all of life's responsibilities? It sounds like a dream to me! But not really. The happy place is really on the other end of the struggle, not in ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:33 Oct 21, 2023

Heh, I feel you on the disliking of a story. I've definitely felt like I've mailed it in before, but then a reader will point out something they like. That's what counts in the end, I suppose. I think you're right with the struggling. Avoiding it is comfortable, but you don't really grow by avoiding, and the other side of it can be very nice indeed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
18:13 Oct 14, 2023

Nice story and well-written! Likable protagonist, flowing thoughts, interaction with the internal and external world, and description of the issue. Procrastination is something very relatable. I am struggling with it quite a bit in particular topics (I am procrastinating right now haha) "Dr. Schnell leans back in his chair, recrosses his legs, removes his glasses. Glasses off means we’re in for a serious one. He sighs. I gulp. I didn’t realize how sweaty my hands were getting. “When was the last time you wrote anything, Abby?” That part w...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:46 Oct 14, 2023

Thanks Belladona! I hope you can break through your own procrastination! Starting is the hardest part. I appreciate your time and comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
16:06 Oct 14, 2023

Lovely story, I really liked the MC, her inner monologue, frustrations, and honesty. And I really liked this part, it felt so relatable: "My fingers find the keys, and for a moment – such a brief moment – it feels like legs finding the pedals of a bike. I think of scraped knees. I don’t know how to start. I don’t want to bleed. This used to be my favorite part, the first line, but now it feels like flying over the handlebars." Great story, thank you for sharing!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:43 Oct 14, 2023

Thanks Hazel! That was one of my favorite passages, too. I appreciate your time and comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lei King
15:11 Oct 14, 2023

Lovely work, AnneMarie. Discovering a contented environment to address procrastination, as opposed to social unease. This story was impeccable. Best regards, Lei King.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:42 Oct 14, 2023

Thanks, Lei! Looking forward to your new story.

Reply

Lei King
22:31 Oct 14, 2023

Looking forward to you reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
13:32 Oct 14, 2023

Great work AnneMarie. Finding a happy place to deal with procrastination, rather than social anxiety. Quite funny the thought that admitting to social anxiety would be easier than admitting to writer's block. Really clever the way you made the typing/writing into a form of dance to echo the happy place at the beginning. One thing that was great about this story is allowed for a total transition in setting and vibe twice in a short space of time. The happy place > the therapist's couch > the computer. Awesome read. Now go and finish that...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
19:36 Oct 14, 2023

Thanks, Tom! This comment means a lot to me because I was seriously considering taking this story down. I felt like it didn't really turn out how I wanted but I was racing against last night's deadline. I intended for the happy place to really be the writing process. It's not always easy but I don't think I could be entirely happy without a few challenges to help me grow, even if a dance party on an island does sound enticing. I have not tasked myself with the challenge of writing a novel yet, but maybe one day! I don't think I avoid writ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:26 Oct 14, 2023

Sooo relatable! Completely get this experience. Been there many times, as recently as the last few weeks. You captured this feeling of procrastination leading to imposter syndrome perfectly. Well done! Now I have to write!!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
19:26 Oct 14, 2023

Thanks for reading Derrick! Hope it served as some motivation to get writing. Wasn't sure if I would even put this up, but if it was relatable or inspiring in any way, that's a win for me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:27 Oct 18, 2023

Been procrastinating myself some recently. Knowingly putting off things that need to be done and spending time in fruitless pursuits. Claiming I needed a break but I know better. Thanks for the nudge.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.