2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

 His name isn’t Bork, but for convenience it has been shortened from a ten lettered word. He was approaching 70 and had 2 sons and a daughter. He had a rugged build with a big moustache and his wearing a dhoti and turban proclaimed him to be a farmer in India. He was a graduate and had later moved into farm business. Dealing in onions was the first business that his father had started. However with extensive farmland he had inherited, Bork ventured to deal wholesale in other vegetables as well. As business grew, a company had been floated called Bork Onions. It was a family concern as the partners were Bork, his two sons and daughter.

Bork’s second son Luke was the most educated in the family. He had studied computer science and had even graduated from a university in the USA in the subject. On the festival day of Divali, Bork got together with his sons and daughter and gave a summary of the performance of the company. He added “We’re now facing bad times with increase in taxes and wages, with government restrictions on pricing and distribution, and bad weather conditions for our crops. Profits have declined and we need to invest more to stay profitable. Our company founded by my father will soon be 150 years old. Challenging times are ahead of us.”

Luke said “Dad, I’ve to announce my retirement from the company. I’m a software engineer and have made up my mind to establish myself in the digital revolution which is taking place instead of worrying about onions, fertilisers and the like.”

Bork said “Son, think over deeply or you might regret your decision. Our company was started by my father who knew everything about onions and vegetables. Following his footsteps your brother and I worked hard and prospered. It was my money from the enterprise which went into your education and sent you to America. Remember one thing: Models change. Tastes change, but people have to eat to be alive. Vegetables are needed every day. Same as textiles. That is why I’ve invested in that product also. Your prosperity and mine have all been due to vegetables.”

Luke laughed and said “I’ve thought over everything. I only need to be freed from this vegetable company with my share being handed over to me.”

Bork said “If you’re bent on it, so be it. I wish you well. You’ll have your share soonest.”

Luke said “Dad I’m planning a start-up for which I need the money.”

“Alright. Your pulling out of Bork Onions is accepted. You’ll get what you’re entitled to. Bork Onions with the existing staff will try to manage the ongoing business.”

 Very soon Luke opened his start up after recruiting software professionals. Seeking work for the start-up, he went to Grenoble in France where his friend Marcel was a boss. Marcel said “I’ve work contracted to me by a Swedish firm. I can give part of this work to you on a trial basis.” Luke returned with the order. To cut on overheads, his team of 6 was to work from respective homes and Luke would review the work in a place which he had rented. The engineers he had chosen were not academically brilliant as such personnel did not prefer joining start ups. The order entailed long and difficult work and Luke had to toil very hard. He was sending Marcel reports on work completed and Marcel was now and again reminding Luke about lags in time schedule. After 6 months Marcel cancelled the order. Luke immediately flew to Grenoble to plead with Marcel. However Marcel said “This is a prestige order from Sweden. They can’t accept delays as it concerns a defence project. You’re technically sound and were on course to complete the order but your team failed you.” The start-up’s trial order had been a failure.

Luke tried alternate sources for orders through other contacts, but he had no luck. He then went to the USA where he contacted Wanda a software specialist. She was his age and was tall and not bad looking. She had started a start-up which was a success and was making money. However she couldn’t help Luke but suggested he try certain firms in different geographical regions of that country. He did visit a few places but was unsuccessful. He returned to see Wanda. Wanda was a South African of Indian descent and had studied with Luke in the American university. She said “Luke, you were a good student and I worked with you on the team allotted for a project. I know you’re good. You should try for orders within India.” He told her how he was drawing negative results everywhere and was now running low on funds. She suggested he work with her but he declined and returned to India.

After Luke’s return, Wanda’s father Kaundinya (Kaund for short) arrived in the US to stay with her. He was of Indian descent and owned farms near Cape Town besides other properties. She told him about Luke. She said “He was part of a family concern producing and marketing vegetable products but he broke off since he wanted to work on software. He is a good fellow and studied with me in our master’s programme. His choice of team wasn’t good and now he doesn’t know what to do. He has run out of capital. It’s unlikely he will get funds.”

“Wanda, I’ve an idea. Let me contact him.”

That was how Kaund got in touch with Luke. He said “Wanda had told me about your case. I‘m a farmer and would like to invest in India as I’ve the necessary capital.”

Luke invited Kaund to come over to India as his guest. It was several weeks later that Kaund landed at Bork’s place. Kaund was tall and lean and dressed in a flowered shirt over jeans. At home Bork introduced Kaund to members of his family. Kaund asked Hema who was Bork’s daughter “Are you studying?”

She said “No. I’ve finished. I’ve learnt drawing and painting and can work cartoons on the computer. I’ve job offers. May be I’ll join some firm.”

Kaund asked Luke “Are you single?”

Luke said “Yes.”

“I invite all of you to Cape Town. You’ll find plenty of people there with funny names, descended from forefathers in India.”

Kaund visited the facilities at Bork’s farm and then held talks with him when Luke was present. Kaund said “You have enough farmland. Your farm needs more mechanization. A couple of tractors for instance. A cold store. And some mechanical seeders. Besides I can give you some know how on upgrading farmland.”

Bork was silent as he knew he had no capital. Kaund said “I’ve two large farms which are running giving good results. I’m willing to join you by investing here as your partner. That’s because I’ve a sentimental attachment to the land of my forefathers.” 

That was agreed to. Luke said “Would it be convenient if Dad and I visit you next month?”

“Certainly. I’ll be there to pick you up at the airport.”

Luke and Bork saw off Kaund. Back home Luke said “Dad, I’m sorry for having left our firm.”

“Son, you’re always welcome even while coming back."

"It may take long for me to renew the capital."

"We'll wait.Kaund is infusing money which is needed.”

Luke and Bork went to Cape Town and were welcomed by Kaund. They were to stay 2 days only. They were introduced to Kaund’s family. Kaund said “Luke you know Wanda. This is my son Peter. I’ve only two issues. Peter owns and runs a hotel here. He studied hotel management.”

Peter was tall and handsome and very fair. Luke asked “Is Peter a bachelor?”

“Yes. We’re looking for a bride for him. If we could get someone from India we would be very happy. I looked for someone from India for Wanda but she’s getting married to a distant kin of mine settled in America. She may have told you.” Luke shook his head.

They saw the farms belonging to Kaund. Bork said “Well managed. Your investing in our firm is most welcome.”

“I’ll send my lawyer and investment adviser to you in India for further needful.”

Luke and father started back when they were seen off by Kaund. On the aircraft Luke said “Don’t you think Peter would be a match for Hema?”

Bork nodded and said “I can see our bonds with Kaund are going to be greatly strengthened in future.”

“Dad, I still want to pursue software.”

“With luck I’m sure it would be possible.”

END


November 22, 2020 09:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Navneeth N
03:10 Dec 07, 2020

Nice story! It was pretty interesting to read. I think you could work on your pacing a little bit, as some parts were rushed and hard to understand. I liked the humorous tone it had and was a great read. Overall, great story!

Reply

10:31 Dec 09, 2020

MANY THANKS.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.