The Ride

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery


    The train was dimly lit, but warm and welcoming when Jenny Green stepped on board and she was glad for it. Outside was blistery cold and the frozen wind was relentless. The kindly old conductor checked her ticket and helped her to her seat with a warm smile.

    “If you need anything else just let me know miss.” 

    “Thank you.” He patted her shoulder and returned to his duties. 

    Jenny sank down onto the plush red seat and sighed. This was not a trip she wanted to make. Her mood matched the weather; dreary and dismal. The more she thought about her situation, the more depression reared its ugly head. She couldn’t believe this was happening to her. She leaned her head against the window and looked out at the poorly lit station and her body jerked slightly as the train began to move. She watched as the station disappeared and all that was left was the darkness of the night; not even a star shone in the sky. She felt the blackness blanketing her as her misery intensified. What was she going to do? She begged God to make it not true, but she knew that was no use. She closed her eyes, good lord she was tired. When was the last time she’d had a good night’s sleep? Certainly not since receiving the news. The gentle motion of the train soon had her eyes growing heavy. 

    “Hello Sleeping Beauty.” Was the first thing Jenny heard when she opened her eyes again. She was looking into the slightly amused face of the handsome man that now sat beside her. Embarrassed heat colored her cheeks as she rubbed her eyes and quickly wiped away the tiny bit of drool at the corner of her mouth. “Did you have a good nap?” His mouth turned upward in a smile and all she could do was nod. Inwardly she groaned and wondered if anyone but him had heard her snoring. “I’m glad you’re awake. I was getting kind of bored here by myself.” Jenny looked around to see that the train car was empty except for them. “So now I have someone to talk to. I’m Brian by the way.” He held out his hand and she took it.

    “Jenny.”

    “So Jenny, why were you crying?”

    “Why would you think I was crying?” She wondered what gave it away.

    “Well your eyes are puffy and you have tear streaks on your cheeks.”

    “What?” Jenny reached into her purse for her compact. Her blush returned and she groaned again seeing her reflection.

    “Here.” Brian offered her his white handkerchief.

“No. It’ll be ruined.” Jenny refused.

“Take it.” He said. “Handkerchiefs come and go, but how often does one get to rescue a damsel in distress?” He said when she still hesitated. 

“Thank you.” She wiped off the black mess around her eyes and repowdered her cheeks.

“There. All better.” He smiled. “So why were you crying?”

“I really appreciate your help, but I’m fine.”

“Oh come on. If it hurts enough to cry about, you should probably talk to someone about it.” He shrugged one shoulder.

“No offence, but why would I tell you?”

“Because, as I said, you need someone to talk to and I’m the only one here.”

“You’re a complete stranger.”

“Sometimes strangers give the best advice; they’re completely impartial.” Jenny shook her head. “Okay, you won’t tell a stranger, how about a friend?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Where are you going?”

“Texas.”

“Me too.” He smiled. “We have a long ride, I’m sure we can become friends in that time.”

“You’re not going to give up, are you?” He shook his head and she sighed heavily. She looked at him and was struck by the intense dark eyes that bored into her own. He was a very attractive man.

“So you might as well just tell me.” He smiled. God his smile could light up a room, she thought.

“My parents are forcing me to get married.” Tears formed in the corner of her eyes as she said those words.

“And I take it that’s not something you want.”

“No.” She said simply.

“Why not?” He wondered.

“I love my life, my career, and my freedom. I’m not ready to settle down. I’m only twenty five.”

“So why are you going through with this then?”

“I have to.” She sighed again.

“Why?”

“Because they cut me off and stopped paying my bills.” She said quietly.

“And you can’t make it on your own?” He asked, curiously.

“It’s not like I didn’t try.” She huffed out. “But actresses, especially ones that only get bit parts, only make so much and New York is an expensive city. I even got a job waiting tables, but it wasn’t enough. I was basically homeless and starving before I agreed to their crazy plan.” She put her head in her hands. “And the worst part is they already picked the groom.”

“And you don’t like him?”

“I don’t know him.”

“What?”

“He’s the son of one of my father’s friends and his name is David. That’s all I know about him.” Tears ran down her cheeks again. “What am I gonna do?” She said more to herself than Brian.

“I’m sorry Jenny.” He put a comforting hand on her shoulder. “That’s a horrible position to be in.” Jenny could only nod. “How about we change the subject, lighten things up a bit. Maybe get your mind off it for a while.” Jenny shrugged as she wiped away her tears.

Brian started by telling jokes; he must have told her every corny joke he knew, but soon he had her giggling.

“You have a beautiful smile.” He told her and she blushed.

As the hours rolled by, Jenny and Bryan occupied their time by asking and answering any question, silly or serious, that they could think of. By the time day broke, they knew more about each other than did old friends. All too soon, their stop loomed just ahead.

“Fifteen minutes to San Antonio.” The conductor announced.

“I guess this is it.” Jenny blew out a breath.

“It doesn’t have to be.” Brian told her tilting her chin up, cupping her face with his hands. He ran this thumb over her lower lip and her eyes widened in surprise. He pressed their lips together and used Jenny’s stunned immobility to slip his tongue inside. Once over her shock, she wrapped her arms around him and returned the kiss with vigor. 

“Wait.” Jenny pulled back. “We can’t do this. I’m promised to another.”

“Who cares about him?” Brian whispered huskily. “This is about us.” He stroked the side of her face. “Jenny you’re the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, you’re smart, funny, and we have a ton in common. Forget that other guy. Run away with me.”

“Brian.” She breathed out. “I want to.” She stared into his eyes and was lost. She almost forgot why she couldn’t. “But I can’t.”

“Don’t worry about your parent’s money. I can more than provide for you.”

“It’s not that.”

“Then what?”

“I gave my parents my word. I can’t go back on that. What good am I if I do? As much as I wish I could go with you, I can’t.”

“I guess I understand. I admire you for being a woman of your word; many people aren’t.” Brian stared at her for a long while. “How about a kiss goodbye?” He said when the train came to a stop.

“Goodbye Brian.” Jenny stood, regret clear in her eyes. She leaned down and kissed his cheek. “I will never forget you.” She whispered then quickly walked off the train before her will power snapped and she went with him anyway.

Her parents were waiting and as they whisked her away she looked back one last time at Brian to see him staring after her.


Two days of moping later, Jenny’s mother, Olivia, came into her room early in the morning.

“Get up and get dressed.” She said, going to the closet and pulling out a blue dress that matched Jenny’s eyes. “Today is a big day.”

Jenny groaned and pulled the covers over her head. She dreaded today. Today she would finally meet her fiance. Olivia pulled the covers back and forced her out of bed.

“He’ll be her soon. You better get a move on it.” Her mother helped her into her dress then sat her down to comb and style her hair. A tear slipped down Jenny’s cheek. “I know you don’t want this.” Olivia patted her daughter’s shoulder. “But it will be for the best. Now come, I believe he’s here.”

Jenny tried to walk down the stairs as slowly as possible, but Olivia took her arm and pulled her along. In the lounge, her father, Albert, was talking to a man with short dark hair. When he turned to face her, Jenny froze.

“Brian?” She breathed in a surprised whisper.

“Jenny.” Her father smiled brightly. “I’d like to introduce you to David Brian Jordan.”

“What? How? I don’t understand.” Jenny sputtered and her parents looked confused.

“I believe Jenny and I should speak alone.” Brian said with authority and her parents complied.

“What’s going on?” She demanded when they were alone.

“Please don’t be upset about what I did.” He took her hand and led her over to the couch.

“Why? Why did you do it?” She wasn’t sure if she should be angry or relieved.

“I just wanted to get to know you without you hating me immediately. I knew you didn’t want this and I didn’t want your resentment to color your judgment of me.” Jenny just stared for a few seconds.

“Why did you ask me to run away with you? What would have happened if I said yes?” She wondered. 

“I wanted to see if you had integrity. I honestly don’t know what I would have done if you said yes. You showed me on the train that you are an incredible woman and I would be honored if you would be my wife.” He looked into Jenny’s eyes. “But if you still prefer not to marry me, I’ll tell your parents that I’m the one who changed their mind.” He held on to one of her hands. 

“You would do that for me?” She asked in disbelief.

“I just want you to be happy Jenny.” He smiled at her and she stared at him. He was too good to be true.

“I think I will be with you.” Jenny smiled and he pulled her into a hug.

“So is that a yes?”

“Definitely a yes.” She confirmed, hugging him back.


February 06, 2020 01:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.