2 comments

General

The sun beat down, as we lazily led on the already hot wood. I loved laying here with her, we could talk for hours and chill. It made the whole summer vacation so much better, but soon summer vacation would be over... Soon they would try and separate us. I refused to think about it, are tree house was a sacred place for us both. A place to relax and chat without worry of criticism, the outside world or bullies. I sighed contently as I feel the warm sun, everything is so quiet and peaceful. I wish we could stay this way forever.


This old tree house has stood tall for so long, dispute it's dilapidating frame, it stood mostly bare; bar some of are art creations; from attempted monster creations to drawn pictures. We tried to lighten the place up with a coat of paint, Trisha even asked her dad to repair it; however with her dad's refusal to help it still remain run down, the coat of paint brightened it up slightly but didn't help to much. It didn't help I was a terrible painter and Trisha only had so much paint. We decided in the end to create a mural of flowers and plants.it did help slightly, it felt more homely than any of the places we have been.


We have stayed in this tree house together nearly all summer, it's been the best of times. Talking, giggling and generally talking about the world. Some days I have helped with her homework, other days we have built craft project ideas; once we built a rocket, we accidently shot it out of one windows and it crashed into her dad's car, you can imagine how cross he was.


I calmly looked over to her, her eyes were closed and she was at piece. All of her previous worries seemed to have completely dissapeared. Like they always do when she comes running to me up here. I smile as I watch her slow and steady breathing, so different from her sad tears a few moments ago. I hates when she cried I have never been one for comfort words as much as I try.


“Hay Trisha, I have an amazing idea.” I sat bolt upright and poked her gently in the ribs, despite knowing how much she hates it. “It’s to hot for guessing games” she complained, before rolling her eyes, looking over at me. “What?” she asked finally. 


Deciding to punish he for her attitude, I tickled her lightly, her beautiful laugh rang through the tree house as her eyes light up " Will you stop it already! You know I hate to be tickled" she says it in such a cross tone, but it never seems cross to me. I suppose it's because she's always in fits of laughter whenever she tries.


I gave her my best grin, “todays are last day, what can we do to make it one to remember?” She smiled at me, a pure mischievous smile “ this” she said simply. Leaning over she grabs me into a bear hug, her lips slowly embracing mine. I embrase her back, shocked we can do this.... Shocked she would try.

A minute passes all to fast before she’s on her feet, her face flashing to many emotions for me to identify.


"I'm sorry I shouldn't have... we cant.." her voice trails off. "It's ok...don't panic..." I trail of to not sure how to tell her that it's ok. I never knew we could, I never debated her feelings past friendship and support. I frown slightly, I want her to be happy, it's all I have ever wanted for her, I always try hard to ensure she's happy. Now I am the one who has made her sad, I need to fix it.


The only place she ever seems happy is up here where are connection is stronger, I try and think quickly how to bring her beautiful smile back. "Let's pretend it never happened just.... Be happy please?" I am almost begging with her. Her sad blue eyes look at me with despair, " how can I when your..." I cut her off with the look she knows all to well, the look that says she's about to go far.


"Remember the rules of the tree house.. no talking of bad things, no worries. Remember no one can touch us up here." She looks lost in though only for a minute before she nods and lies back down. I should talk about my situation with her, I should open up to her... But in are sacred place I can't burden her with that. I designed this place as an escape, a place of tranquility and stress free.


She yawn and stretches "The moving van is probably ready now, dad will come looking soon.” She looks torn and sad, I jump up to try to make her smile again, but she's quickly saying, “I will never forget you, and are place” then she's gone. Almost as if this is the last time she will see me.


I wish I could tell her all the words that are on my mind, tell her how beautiful she is. Give her strength and confidence, but every time I try my brain seems to freeze, I am just unable to word anything I want to around her. I shake my head as she gets further away. Slowly I faid backward, a spectator once again.


“Trisha” her father calls coming down the garden, rage flashing in his eyes “ come down from there and stop talking to yourself!" He always seems angry and in a rush, it's never fair on Trisha; all his anger is always projected onto her.


She looks back almost as if she is seeking help but I have already disappeared. I vow that somehow I’ll follow where ever her father takes her. I will always protect her, somehow it's what I think I'm meant to be doing. He won't get away from me, I can't let him continue.


July 17, 2020 16:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Nancy Drayce
17:20 Jul 21, 2020

Wow! The twist at the end is amazing! I haven't expected it at all! Great job! 💜✨

Reply

Stacey Mitchell
15:51 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you xx

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.