1 comment

Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction Teens & Young Adult

Mariah was just 2 years old;helpless through her eyes when a woman and a man stepped into 'Imani ' childrens' home.Her bright blue eyes as she stared at the woman and the man.

'This might be my new parents -

Mariah couldn't stop staring at them;part of her dress all soaked up with saliva dripping from her mouth.She held the womans' hand; getting full attention from the woman.

"Are you my new momma? In that soft sound with innocent look; the woman gave her that big warm smile, bending towards Mariah.

'Yes! Baby ,we're your parents -

Tears of joy couldn't stop dripping from the eyes of the woman; holding Mariah around her arms.

'she's my princess -the woman looked at the nun in the orphanage; all things were all set up,time had reached for Mariah to bid good bye to a place she once called home.

Mariah had found a loving and kind family; the joy showed that she truly was happy when she hugged the nun-

Goodbye !

waving her tiny hands towards the children and the nuns; the car drove off but still Mariah continued waving over and over.The beautiful mansion;full of dogs that brought Mariah to a stand still.All she felt was a sniffing on her hand; terrified to see a dog staring at her, wagging it's tail.

Mariah was so much terrified; running towards her mother -

momma!

Mariah had that look of fear as she hid behind her mommas' back; the dog wanted to be Mariah's friend. Mariah couldn't stop crying;her mother carrying her.

'Mariah -this is Meeka and all it wants is to be friends

no-no-Mariah refused to go near Meeka the dog. All sparkling clean, the pink room filled with dolls at every corner.Mariah was so much excited ;playing with her dolls on the floor.

Meeka-The dog came inside Mariah's bedroom; sitting next to Mariah. Mariah wasn't afraid anymore as she pampered Meeka with love.

'ooh! I love that-Meeka the dog spoke

momma!Mariah shouted her mother;her mother was surprised to find her daughter seated next to Meeka laughing, Mariah pointed at Meeka the dog; hugging the dog.Mrs Andrea had to stand at the door;looking at the beautiful friendship between Mariah and Meeka the dog.

One day,Mariah woke up but not normal as usual;sweat all over her face.The mother tried to bring the temperature down but she was burning up like fire.

'darling we need to take Mariah to the hospital -Mrs Andrea told her husband; looking Maria all pale with sweat.She was rushed to the hospital. Being diagnosed with Leukaemia; blood transfusion was needed to save Mariahs' life.

'doctor -but -we're not the real parents; what can we do?

The only option that they had was to find solution from the orphanage and dig out Mariahs' biological parents.

No one knew their whereabouts; days ,time was running out as Mariah became each day weak on that hospital bed.Mrs Andrea placed an advertisement on social media that travelled all over the world.

A well dressed young woman stepped into Mariah's hospital room and stood beside Mariah. watching Mariah sleeping as she held her tiny hand; tears flowing from her eyes.Mariah opened her eyes and saw this strange young lady beside her-

why are you crying?

The woman wiped tears from her eyes-no am not crying. Mrs Andrea found a strange young woman in Mariah's hospital room.Have never seen this lady before; who is she? Questions filled in her mind.

hey!am Mrs Andrea ,Mariahs' mother

the woman stretched her hand towards Mrs Andrea; walking down the corridor -

'Am Mrs Rosaline the biological mother of Mariah -

Mrs Andrea was so much excited, having found Mariah's biological mother was a big relieve.Blood was flowing through the veins of Mariah; the beautiful smile that cheered up the air.

Mrs Rosaline sat quietly at the bench;crying so bitterly. She was not okay; Mrs Andrea passing a glass of water towards her.

'are you okay? Mrs Andrea asked Mrs Rosaline

'But that time I was young when I gave out my child to the orphanage -Mrs Rosaline narrated the all story;Mrs Andrea keenly listened.

Mrs Rosaline wanted was to be near her daughter;each day she would pay a visit to Mariah at the hospital. Mr Andrea wasn't in supportive of that.

'Mariah is my princess and no one will take her from us-

all they saw that one day they will wake up in a vacant family; the presence of Mariah missing. Good news never come each day;but this came as the doctor revealed of Mariahs' health being stable.

'Mariah can now go home-

welcome back home-the house was all filled with excitement; Meeka the dog kissing Mariah around her face.The welcoming party had set off; suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Mrs Rosaline walked in;how did she know the address?

Mrs Andrea walked towards her-'what a surprise Mrs Rosaline. Mrs Rosaline smiled as she took a drink.

'Mariah is my child and I have a right over her,'Mrs Rosaline said as she continued taking glass of wine,one by one.Not able to stand on herself, standing on top of a table,laughing.

ha-ha- Mariah is my child

The guest stared at Mrs Rosaline l,she is drunk; as they confronted each other trying to push her out of the house.

'Mariah is my child -Mrs Rosaline said

Mariah stood at the stairs when her teddy bear fell right at the feet of Mrs Andrea her mother.Mrs Andrea looked up and tears from Mariahs' eyes dripped onto her face.

'Mariah-princess

Mrs Andrea ran upstairs only to find Mariah locked up in her room.she wasn't ready to open for anyone ,not even her mother or dad.Worries got hold of her parents, calling out to the maids for spare keys.

Mariah sat at the corner of the room;crying so bitterly as Meeka the dog kept on kissing her all over her face.Mrs Andrea held Mariah around her arms -

"momma!don't let her take me away," Mariah pleaded

"you 're my princess and no one will take you away ,"Mrs Andrea wiped the tears from Mariahs' eyes.

"where is my daugh-ter?that was the voice of Mrs Rosaline as she made her way into Mariahs' room. Meeka couldn't stop barking at Mrs Rosaline;Mariah held towards Mrs Andrea and she shouted at Mrs Rosaline.

go away -

'But am your mother,'Mrs Rosaline said

'You're not my mother,'Mariah shouted.

Mrs Rosaline sat down;holding her head down as she cried, not knowing what to say but leave Mariah to continue living with the adopted parents.

February 05, 2021 03:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Therese Hudson
10:48 Feb 10, 2021

Great story

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.