31 comments

Drama Inspirational Speculative

Jade was younger than the usual customer. But Sam was past being too concerned. About ten years past. Maybe if she’d walked in even two years ago, he’d have cocked an eyebrow. But now? Now, he simply grabbed a shot glass, and placed it on a napkin in front of her as she took a seat on one of the barstools.


“What’ll you have?” he asked.


She seemed startled as she looked up at him, long black curls framing her captivatingly anguished face.


“Uh… isn’t there a menu?”


Sam all but cackled. “A MENU? Sorry, sweetheart. Most people know what they want before they walk in.”


“Oh.”


Jade glanced back over her shoulder towards the door, as if she were thinking of leaving. Sam knew better, though. He’d seen the reluctance in all of his first time customers, and he knew the reason why.


“Free Hugs get you?” he asked her.


She turned sharply back to him. “What?”


He gestured towards the door, though the object of his comment was the man sitting on the pavement just outside. He was scruffy and plain, with a full beard and shoulder length hair he mostly kept tucked under a beanie. And he sat right next to the entrance with a cardboard sign that said FREE HUGS.


“Did you talk to Free Hugs?” he asked again.


“Oh. Yeah. He uh…” she hesitated. “He said you couldn’t help me.”


He nodded. “That sounds right. What else?”


“That this place was just another step down?” she added, still wary.


“Huh. Step down. That’s a new one,” he admitted. “Usually we’re a trap, or just another problem.”


At this, her eyes widened. “That doesn’t bother you?”


“Why should it?”


“You’re not worried he will stop people from coming in?”


“Didn’t stop you, now did he?” Sam pointed out. “If you’d like a free hug instead of a drink, be my guest.”


She got a little defensive at that. Sam didn’t know why. It’s not like she came for a good time, or to pick someone up. No. People only came because something drove them. Drove them to the padded stools, the polished bar top, and the row of bottles glittering behind him.


“Look, it’s your first time, right?” he tried. She nodded, tentatively. “Well then, how about…”


He ran his hand along the lowest row till he came to the right bottle– amber glass, with a black label, and golden ink. Sam grabbed its neck, and turned the label so Jade could see it.


“Forgetting?” she read aloud. Her brow furrowed for a moment, and then she nodded. “Yeah. Actually, that sounds good.”


Sam grinned. He still had the touch. He opened the bottle and poured the thin, bittersweet liquid into the shot glass in front of her, stopping a half inch below the lip.


She stared at it, as if the longer she looked she might perceive something.


“Go ahead,” Sam prodded. 


She still hesitated. 


“Well? What’s wrong?”


She bit her lip. “He also said it wouldn’t last.”


“Nothing lasts,” Sam countered. That was a common complaint. But quickly remedied. One shot wouldn’t last forever, but then, there could be a second shot. And a third. A fourth. However many they needed to keep it going. It wasn’t like he could run out of bottles.


“But you just need a moment, right? I mean, you don’t wanna forget FOREVER,” he laughed, making a grandiose gesture to accentuate the word. 


Jade laughed too, and finally picked up the glass and gave the contents a sip. Her dark lipstick left a stain on the rim. Sam sighed. Now he’d have to really scrub the glass out. Her face grimaced a moment as she swallowed. 


“That’s…” It always tasted a bit strong going down. But the aftertaste was what made it worth the chug. Sweet. Warm. Embracing. Sam figured it must have hit her senses pretty quickly, because she upended the glass right after.


“There, now,” Sam gave her a gentle round of applause. “Better?”


She nodded. “Better. Is this your best seller?”


Sam nodded. “One of them. But it can be a bit mild for some.”


“What else do you recommend?” she asked.


“Courage is a favorite,” he spoke up. Sam poured out Courage every night. His vintage had such a fleeting effect, people came in day after day, sometimes hour after hour, just for a shot.


“Now on the top shelf? There we have Oblivion,” he told her, turning to grab a dark bottle that seemed filled with starlight. “Goes down smooth… Pricey, but worth it, I assure you.”


“I don’t think I need anything THAT strong,” she replied.


Sam didn’t remark. They all said that. No one came in and ordered Oblivion the first day. That was a slow sell up. Once the Forgetting began to lose effect, and the Momentary High or Indulgence wore itself out in their system, Oblivion was the only thing left. And by then, they were eager for it. The cost didn’t matter. Just that beautiful moment when their lips drained the glass.


“How much do I owe you?” she asked.


Sam crossed over to the register, and Jade slid off the stool, following him. It only took a moment before her total appeared on the screen.


SELF LOVE.


She blinked a moment, but then sighed, and handed him a card from her wallet. Sam swiped it, and watched her shudder as he handed it back.


“Have a nice day,” he muttered as he hurried off to scoop up the glass. Sam didn’t have to pride himself on a nuanced exit. Once they’d had a taste, he knew they’d be back.


She nodded, and gave him a weak smile, then pushed open the door and stepped outside.


Free Hugs was sitting right where she left him. He smiled up at her as he waved, his open palm revealing a scar in its center. She eyed his sign once more. Already the warmth that had filled her was leaving, but she couldn’t afford another drink. Not today, anyway.


“I told you it wouldn’t last,” he said, quietly, as if reading her thoughts.


She swallowed. “I know.”


There was something so compassionate in his gaze. “We don’t want to forget. Not really,” he said. “We only want to forget because we feel like no one sees us. And that’s the worst kind of lonely.”


“So how do you fix it, huh? You think you can just GIVE what we can’t apparently even BUY?”


“Yes. I can,” he assured her. “I can see you. We can share a space together. Even if it's just for a moment. And then, we can talk. And you can get to know me. And I can get to know you.”


“That might take a while.”


“I’m not going anywhere.”


Jade just stared at him. Maybe he wasn’t going anywhere, but she had places to be, and things to do… didn’t she? Her eyes drifted through the window into the bar, and back to him.


“Eventually, it stops working at all,” he continued, gently.


“Maybe so,” she admitted. “But I have to try.”


She took a few steps away, then stopped, and turned back to him. It seemed his eyes hadn’t left her. 


“When it stops working… you’ll still be here?”


“Every day,” he said, promise lacing itself through the words. He pointed once more to the sign. “Free hugs.”


January 13, 2024 23:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Jaymi McClusky
18:20 Jan 20, 2024

Such a creative response to the prompt and a beautifully written metaphor to life! Really enjoyed it down to the detail of her having to pay with self love. Very clever.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
07:39 Jan 21, 2024

Adorable take on the prompt. I love how creative it is to have a "hug bar". Really enjoyed reading this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ty Warmbrodt
03:00 Jan 21, 2024

Creativity at its best. Great story, Hannah. I think it tells the tell of the many who self-medicate to deal with their pain when all they need is some human compassion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
James Lane
01:35 Jan 21, 2024

Exceptionally creative take on this prompt Hannah! I really liked the interaction between Jade and Free Hugs. The line "and things to do… didn’t she?" felt like a very powerful moment for her. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
J. D. Lair
01:15 Jan 21, 2024

This was so beautiful Hannah. Great reminder about the man on the bench. ❤️ thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Claire Trbovic
22:54 Jan 20, 2024

Love love love this concept, wonderfully written with so many simple yet strong messages ‘I can see you. We can share a space together. Even if it's just for a moment.’ such a powerful message, sometimes we don’t need to talk we just need someone to not shy away from being in our presence when we’re in pain Thank you so much for sharing! ♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Detti
22:17 Jan 20, 2024

Hello Hannah, thanks for your story. I really enjoyed and I think sums up what we all look for in any vice we have but also a great reminder that these feelings are a temporary fix quite often!

Reply

13:04 Jan 21, 2024

Thanks, Rebecca! I think the more temporary fixes are usually quicker, and we like the instant gratification. But a more long term healing takes more effort, and that can be hard to choose. Thank you again, I will be sure to look for your work! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
20:02 Jan 20, 2024

Very creative. And the question, "do we really want to forget "is a good one. Maybe "what can we learn" is in one of those bottles. :-)

Reply

13:03 Jan 21, 2024

Ooooh, I like that! Sadly, I think Sam knows if they "learn" anything, they won't be back for a drink xD thank you for reading! I will be sure to return the favor! <3

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:44 Jan 21, 2024

Hannah, either you or Sam overestimate people. you give them a shot of insight, most will say; get out-a here. i know better. They'll do the same thing again, expecting a different outcome. :-) which, by the way, is why shrinks make so much money. Hee hee

Reply

14:33 Jan 21, 2024

an excellent point xD I think this is just part of me being a hopeless optimist

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:42 Jan 21, 2024

Nothing wrong with optimism. better a hopeful optimist than a hopeless cynic. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
04:15 Jan 18, 2024

Great take on the prompt! Makes me wonder what all the other bottles might be. Like the song goes, “some drink to remember; some drink to forget.” Maybe it's a kind of bespoke product. I also wonder how many people actually take up the offer of free hugs - at least, when they first get there. What he says sounds reasonable, but it seems like we have to take a rough road before we arrive at reasonable. Even here, Jade has a suspicion it's useful, but she's not quite ready for it yet. First it must get worse before it gets better, I suppose ...

Reply

13:58 Jan 18, 2024

Michal! My friend! Thank you for reading 😊 Jade is much a reflection of my own journey. I have historically tried ANYTHING before having to “ask for help”. I think there is an independence crisis in our culture. So many people are bent on being self sufficient, they will walk past human connection, even when that’s what they might really need. Thanks again for reading, I will be sure to look for your work as well! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
19:18 Jan 15, 2024

'The cost didn’t matter. Just that beautiful moment when their lips drained the glass.' A great analogy for all the things we lose ourselves into escape; alcohol, but work too, or videogames, or many other vices. Anything to forget just for a moment that reality is hard, and the real work is in being kind to ourselves and others. Thanks!

Reply

21:58 Jan 15, 2024

Thank you, Marty ❤️ there are so many ways we try to find peace and happiness (like you said, not just alcohol, but anything, even social media) but I do think the most lasting way is to find healing and understanding with other people. Thank you for reading, again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:13 Jan 14, 2024

Aw this is a great interpretation of the prompt. Simple but extremely effective and powerful. really good and a winner forme

Reply

16:14 Jan 14, 2024

Derrick, THANK YOU 😊 I wanted the message to just hit and let you think about it yourself, so it’s briefer and simpler than a lot of what I have written, but I’m glad you feel it doesn’t come up short! Will look at your work as well! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
03:08 Jan 14, 2024

Brilliant on the prompt. Maybe she should have tried his free hugs first.

Reply

16:13 Jan 14, 2024

Thanks, Mary 😊 Jade is a very “jaded” character, but I think she eventually shows up for a hug! Thank you for reading, I will check out your writing too! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
01:33 Jan 14, 2024

Beautiful and sad, and very clever. Quick and temporary fixes for the pain that life throws us. It’s a slippery slope chasing the perfect solution until there’s nothing left.

Reply

16:12 Jan 14, 2024

Thank you for reading, Michelle 😊 quick fixes will only fill the gap for so long. But self love? Connection? Feeling seen and known? That doesn’t leave a void. At least not that I’ve experienced so far in my own search. I will be sure to look for your writing! Thanks again for reading ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:39 Jan 26, 2024

What a creative and poignant take on this prompt. So well written, loved this story, Hannah! Makes me wonder about all the other stories this bartender has.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Winchester
17:03 Jan 25, 2024

I loved your take on the prompt! It was very creative. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jonathan Grayson
20:55 Jan 23, 2024

Loved this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ellen Neuborne
22:08 Jan 21, 2024

Clever take on the prompt. It would make a great premise for a set of linked short stories -- as the bar tender serves different customers and their needs.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jared Hammer
16:55 Jan 21, 2024

Love the idea. Good job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ophelia Ramirez
00:15 Jan 21, 2024

Love this one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kailani B.
20:53 Jan 17, 2024

The situation that Jade is in doesn't apply to me, but I completely understand her plight and it's heartbreaking. Good job!

Reply

13:59 Jan 18, 2024

Thank you for reading! I appreciate the feedback so much! Not everyone will identify with Jade (which I think is good Lol) but it makes me happy you were still able to enjoy the story! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.