RUN TO THE END

Submitted into Contest #234 in response to: Write a story about someone whose time is running out.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Happy Inspirational

Mama said there'll be days like this

There'll be days like this mama said

(Mama said, mama said)

Mama said there'll be days like this

There'll be days like this my mama said

(Mama said, mama said)

This song kept playing in my head from the moment I woke up. Why today? Well, it was going to be a day like no other. I grabbed my running gear which was the same stuff I wore yesterday. On my own now living in a different flat was like night and day. I could see the ocean and knew that days spent in a swill hole were over. The story had its moments where if you turned the wrong way you'd be met with the black hole of purgatory pulling you in. The demons had your number. You had to choose whether to answer it or not. Looking back, my brother became my good luck token as he knew the curse of where we lived and was determined to keep me under his surveillance until things changed for the good. And they did. He graduated from high school and then first and without hesitation, signed up to join the United States Army. He wanted and needed discipline as did I. He took the boldest step in doing this for the good of his old life. I watched him 'man up', his words. "You watch how this plays out." He smugly gave me the grin that was his claim to fame. You had to read it right or else it was your ass down in the mud, slam dunked, tossed over and over. I was in awe and watched as he took the oath. "I was my shadow now facing the real me in the mirror." Those words spoke volumes and he grabbed me in for a bear hug. And then he was gone to begin a life of pride and honor. 

Back to the moment. The sun was out but when I finally came back there was a sudden cold blast. Whew! That was certainly the 'Miracle on Main Street' I accomplished which is how I likened the moment. It was the longest time ever spent as of yet in prepping for the one and only race I had to accomplish, the Boston Marathon. You got that right, I made the cut and got my flipping number! It was still a few months away but it had become my thing ever since my brother and I decided to put on them sneakers way back. We busted out at random moments and chased each other around block after block in the neighborhood. It was better than anything and literally we were running away from gang after gang. It wasn't the best place to grow up seeing how our friends just disappeared from the real world into a world where they were promised everything but lost it all. I was not following that path. 

I learned the hard way how life can hand you a bunch of roses but then the thorns would gouge your hands and you bled a streak. It didn't end there. The scars would always be there to remind you of your fate with the devil. It happened one time when I was by myself. Going down the wrong way home, I stepped into a dark, back alley full of ankle-busting potholes I wasn't familiar with at this time of night. Suddenly, I slipped and fell onto a manhole cover that had been slightly lifted up. Voices were heard coming up from the city sewer lines through this cover. I heard one heavily angered voice whom I recognized immediately as my brother's. Jay was down there with a bunch of dudes that were better off sliding in that scum hole without my bro. Was he in it with them and how did they coerce him to get in? Why did I not see this coming? I heard others and then there were sounds of punches bashing each other against the walls. I backed away from it all as someone moved the cover over. Hands grabbed the edges and a body lifted and pulled itself up and onto the dirt. Then one by one the others, I counted three, lifted themselves through. The last one shoved the manhole cover back over. What happened to Jay? The words came out of one about how they would make him pay and they talked about payback. I was in the shadows and they looked around, took off slipping through the dark, climbed the fence and were gone.

I ran back to the manhole, shoved the cover aside and stared down to see my brother not moving. "JAY!" I yelled down and saw him struggle to move. As I attempted to slip down to help, he yelled for me to stop. I paused as he slowly rose up and then I reached my arm down which he grabbed and helped him up. It was a nightmare seeing his cut up face. He only said, "Don't ask." It was that last bad luck moment when he made his promise to do better with his life.

He was gone for who knows how long and I was here to be here when he could be back with a pause in the action of his overseas tour. I had to keep my purpose and that was to stay running; running from the evil parts that chases you down all throughout your life. But the goal was to surpass any negative demons and win! 

The Boston marathon was in a few short weeks. I had to push myself over and over to keep up and step up my time. I was determined to make each step count towards a better life. There'll be days like this my mama said as those words kept me going. Family was gone and my brother and I only had each other for the long haul. I was missing him but knew he was due home soon. He had no idea what I was up to so I was going to surprise him with my entry into this race. 

It was the last effort of one of my longest runs in preparation for the marathon. Heartbreak Hill was in my mind as I struggled up a similar route. I hadn't noticed the weather had clouded up a bit and kept up my pace. It was a moment in time when your feet feel like you are walking on air when I stumbled and fell to my knees. Bells and whistles filled my ears as screaming lights blinded me. I then felt a tremendous thud and blacked out.

And now I am in a wheel chair sitting in the lobby of the hospital. The accident was a horrific end to my chance to prove myself strong. Running the Boston Marathon would have given me the courage to move on to better my life. It was a commitment that brought purpose going forward in life. And now my leg was broken. The race was in two days. No chance in hell I would recover even for next year's race. I sat staring down at my feet when suddenly a pair of brand new runners shoes were thrown on my lap. I looked up to see a face from forever ago; my brother! Back home for some time off he had a surprise to offer. The special request, given the extreme circumstances, he presented to the race committee, was verified a go!

It was an April day like no other with beautiful weather. Cheers were heard and the crowd was excited as the beginning entrants of the Boston Marathon lined up. The whistle sounded, the flag waved and the Men's Push Rim Wheelchair raced down the road. I screamed with absolute happiness, fists pumped, as my brother pushed my chair along the route through the crowd. 

Mama said it all along. What a day! 

January 27, 2024 04:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.