2 comments

General

Marvin ran his hand along the stubble that dotted his cheeks. He grunted a bit. This wouldn’t do at all. He glanced down at his watch. He still had some time, he could visit the barber today for a shave. He really wanted to make a good impression.

It had been almost a year since he saw his wife, Ethel. The distance was hard, but he wasn’t trying to rush her. He knew she needed that extra time to get her things in order and say goodbye to her friends and family before coming up. Well, today was the day. He’d gotten the news from Pete that she was supposed to get in today and he wanted to make sure he was there on time to meet her at the gate.

He really wanted to impress her, do something special to show her how much he loved and missed her. He looked into his closet. He wanted to wear something nice, but nothing too fancy. He wasn’t dressing-up for everybody, just for her. Marvin dug through the different clothes, wondering what she might like best.

Then he saw it. His old, tan suit was hanging near the back. He hadn’t worn it in a while, but Ethel always liked it. She said he always looked handsome in it and it took her back to when they were two young kids in love. He smiled a bit as he pulled it out. This would be perfect. A splash of her favorite cologne, a good shave, and he’d be ready.

He checked twice in the mirror before heading out. His barber was just down the street, but he hoped there wouldn’t be a line. He sighed with relief as he saw only one customer through the window. It was just a small shop, only two barbers, but they always did the job right. As he walked in the little bell on the door dinged with his arrival. His barber, Ken, had been sweeping up hair. He looked up and smirked a bit.

“Gee, Marv. Hot date or something?” He asked.

“You know it!” Marvin chirped happily. “Eth, finally gets in today!”

“No kidding!” Ken said, wiping down his chair. “So I’ll finally get to meet this little lady of yours?”

“Only if you do a good job, Ken,” Marvin said with a chuckle. “Need to look my best today.”

“Well, have a seat then,” Ken said, patting the chair.

Marvin sat down and Ken tied the cover around his neck, he began mixing up the lather for a shave. It was hard to find a barber that shaved like the old days. That’s why he liked Ken’s shop. Nothing gave you a smoother shave than a barber who really knew his way around a razor. Ken lathered Marvin up and started working on him. 

Marvin thought about Ethel. He wondered what stories she’d have to tell him, what had changed in the past year. He was sure there would be a ton about their grandkids, Ethel loved those little rugrats. Of course, he did too, but the way she looked at them was different. She was always beaming when she had one in her arms. He smiled a bit at this.

“Careful,” warned Ken. “I know you got ants in your pants, but I don’t think you want to look all cut up when you go to see her.”

Marvin corrected his face and grunted vaguely. Right, he had to be patient. It would just be a little longer now. He wondered what she would be wearing. Did she cut her hair since the last time he saw her? Did she miss him nearly as much as he missed her? Ken used the cover to wipe off the rest of the lather from his face.

“Alright, what do you think?” He asked.

“Smooth and clean!” Marvin said, checking it out in the mirror. “Great job, Kenny.”

Ken nodded. “Well, go on now. You’ve got somebody waiting for you.”

Marvin nodded and hopped out of the chair. He straightened up his suit a bit before heading out. He heard Ken chuckle as he left. The day seemed brighter than usual, the air was perfect, Marvin whistled a little tune as he walked down the street. 

He might have looked a little ridiculous, but who cared? He felt like he was twenty again! On his way to pick up his babydoll for a hot date. He remembered those days. Ethel in a pretty blue dress, bouncing back and forth anxiously on her parents’ stoop while she waited. He always hid behind a tree and watched an extra minute. He loved the way she bounced around like a little kid. She always corrected herself as soon as she saw him coming, so he had to be sneaky watching her. Her face always lit up seeing him clean-shaven, holding a bundle of flowers for her.

He paused as he thought of this, he frowned a bit. Flowers. He really should have thought to get some. Well, it was too late now, she’d be here soon. He felt a little disheartened as he walked up the street.

Miracles do happen. As he rounded the corner he saw a little flower stand. Nothing fancy, none of the exotic ones, but they had some of the classics. Marvin saw a bundle of daisies. Exactly what he used to bring her back in the day.

“One bundle of your best daisies, please!” He said, rushing over. “I’m in a bit of a hurry.”

The florist chuckled as she picked out some good ones for him. 

“My, my. It seems like you’ve got somebody special coming,” she said, smiling.

“My wife,” Marvin said proudly.

“Well, I hope these are exactly what you need,” she said, handing him the bundle.

He nodded to her kindly and jogged down the street a bit. He slowed down after a minute, he didn’t want to be all sweaty right before he saw her. He could see Pete working at the gate. He smiled and walked up.

“Hey there, Pete!” He said cheerfully.

“Marvin, how did I know you’d be here right on time?” Peter asked, chuckling.

“She here yet, Petey?” Marvin asked.

Peter smiled at him. “Soon, but please, use my proper name at the gate. We want to make a good impression on the newcomers.”

“Oh, yes Saint Peter, most holiest gatekeeper,” Marvin said teasingly.

Peter laughed and looked back at his list of the incoming souls for that day. Marvin stood anxiously at the gate. Ethel would love it here. It was a perfect day every day, you never felt too tired to do anything, you never got hurt, all your old loved ones were here, and it lasted forever! 

But the best part for him was that she would be here now. Maybe they’d relive their younger years, strolling in the park until long after sunset or hopping in a ragtop to catch a flick at the drive-in. Who knew? Good thing they had the rest of eternity to figure it out. 

Marvin smiled and bounced around like a giddy schoolboy. This time she’d be the one to see him like this. He wasn’t sure if he’d be able to control himself as well as she used to though. He glanced beyond the large, pearly gates. Soon. She’d be here soon.

May 17, 2020 04:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

L. M.
01:28 May 28, 2020

The sweet moments of waiting added such tenderness to the story. I love the relationship, and that ending is really good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Crystal Lewis
05:53 May 24, 2020

Holy moley! I had to re-read that twice to get it. So well done! You're really good with dropping those clues and hints that tie together perfectly at the end. Very talented!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.