PLAY OF JAMAMBUX

Written in response to: Set your story in a confectionery shop.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

(This story is set on Tellus, earth’s twin, 800 years younger, evolving.”

The town o0f Zuzim was very prosperous as demand for agricultural products was booming - particularly sugarcane which was grown in abundance in the region. There were big stills in which sugar solutions were boiled and poured into moulds to produce jaggery the chief ingredient of indigenous confections. Citizen Mjol not only owned sugarcane plantations but also a plant to produce jaggery which product was in great demand. Being a moneyed entrepreneur he acquired land beside his home where he built a confectionary shop. His wife Zelda managed the shop which was quite popular and had a large patronage. Love’s Festival Week (LFW) would be celebrated annually there and around when people would indulge themselves and buy confections besides luxuries.

A word about Zelda: She was brown, tall, slim with abundant hair which she usually knotted behind her head. She wore the pareyou which was the daily wear and which covered both males and females only below the waist. She was about 20 and had produced 2 children who were growing up in another location.

Zelda’s confectionary was a large hall  containing long wooden tables, with a room for the caretaker. Besides, there were 2 small rooms within it which sometimes were rented out. Vica was the caretaker and she lived in. Vica was even younger than Zelda and was very good-looking. Sometimes looking at her Zelda would feel jealous. Vica had her weaknesses and would often be berated by Zelda. Vica harboured hatred in her mind for Zelda and would often feel like taking revenge for her frequent admonitions.

LFW was due to start in a couple of days and Zelda was busy cleaning and decorating the confectionary shop. Mjol came there and said “I just ran into your chef. He said he would be preparing 16 different products this year.”

“Yes. I’ll be ready to stock and sell those in this confectionary shop. The prices are slightly higher this year as the king has imposed a tax on confections.”

Mjol merely listened. She continued “The king’s messenger Ytip was here a few minutes ago. He has given me the list of sweets needed in the royal palace. Talking to me he told me in confidence about the difference of opinion between the king and the queen about the tax. The queen had threatened to go totally nude if the tax were not reduced. But the king had stood resolute saying the money was needed for welfare measures for the people.” She laughed and said “If a man goes nude his merchandise would be on display. But a woman has nothing and none would look at her.”

Mjol changed the topic. He asked “How is your new guest?” Recently a middle-aged man named Fraxi had come on a business visit and needed a place to stay in. The inns were full and Zelda accommodated him in a room in the confectionary shop.

She said “He is very busy and often goes out and stays out. He is moneyed and pays dues regularly.

He said he might leave after LFW.”

“Okay I’ll leave now as my land dispute case is pending disposal by the king. I’ve to meet my adviser.”

As they say there are wheels within wheels: Vica while harbouring thoughts of vengeance had caught the eye of Fraxi. She managed to become close to him since they occupied the same premises. He would receive her now and then in the night which was unknown to Mjol or Zelda.

The LFW opened in the palace grounds where many had gathered. The king kissed the queen inaugurating LFW. At the same instant the couples gathered did the same. After Mjol had kissed Zelda she said fairly loudly “Many have done much more than kiss.”

An old woman standing nearby said “This is the time the spirit Jamambux  gets active. Much more will happen indoors.”

Zelda laughed and asked “What is this spirit?”

The woman laughed and said “You’ll know it when it comes on you.”

Now there was a rush at Zelda’s confectionary shop. People bought various confectionary items and stuffed each other’s mouths and were suitably rewarded each time by groping and more which I cannot describe! People sang and danced.

The crowding continued the next day also. That evening the royal messenger Ytip brought a message that the king was to hear Mjol’s case late that evening. Mjol prepared himself, dined and set off in his donkey cart. When he reached he was told the king had for some reason adjourned the hearing. The disappointed Mjol stopped at a tavern and imbibed his favourite drink. When he reached home it was very dark and instead of disturbing Zelda, he decided to stay the night in the room next to Fraxi’s. Entering the confectionary shop to which he had access, and holding a lighted candle he found his way to the room next to Fraxi’s. He lay down on the bed but finding it too hard resolved to use Fraxi’s room as he was away. It was comfortable and he slept.

Vica wasn’t aware of what all had happened outside her room but finding the candle outside Fraxi’s room burning, tiptoed in and got into bed with the man she thought was Fraxi. She kissed him awake in a mood to make it a night for him to remember. Mjol assumed it was his wife in one of her amorous moods and responded appropriately, surprising Vica of a prowess which she had never experienced before. Sleep overcame them and they slept in each other’s arms.

Meanwhile Zelda who was asleep was woken up by a noise against her window. She assumed it could be a rodent trying to escape a cat. She reminded herself that rats could consume whatever was left of her confection and lost sleep. She decided to make a surprise visit to the shop and check. Entering it she went in search of Vica but found her bed empty. She knew her husband would sometimes sleep in the shop so as not to disturb her when he was late. She went to the room next to Fraxi’s but it was empty. So she entered Fraxi’s room and drawing off the covers saw the sleepers. In a rage, picking up a wooden log she beat Vica’s bare bottom. Vica’s screams now woke up Mjol.

Zelda ordered “Mjol cover yourself. I don’t want to see the erring member. I’m taking this woman to the door and pushing her out. I’ll the come back to you.”

Vica pleaded “Let me get some garment to cover myself.”

Jamambux changes many things. Zelda said “You go as you are.” She pushed Vica out and locked the door. Returning to Mjol she said “What happened has happened. You won’t see Vica ever again. I came to see if rodents have infested the place and I find you locked with Vica. Now start by telling me what she has that I don’t have and how it was with her.”

“What happened was an error. I was partly drunk and partly sleepy and when she put her arms around me I assumed it was you. It was definitely a play of Jamambux  as they say. Not my fault.”

Of course the two were conditionally reconciled!

END

February 14, 2022 08:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.