2 comments

Contemporary Fiction

       Linda and her two sons, Mark, 8 and John, 12, just moved from a small town about two hours north. Her sons did not want to move, but she felt people here were getting suspicious so she felt it was time to move on. She wanted to find another church, so she picked the one closest to their new apartment, since she didn’t own a car; she wanted to be within walking distance.

       They were quite happy with the welcome they experienced on their first visit. Mark and John did not complain about the service but Linda knew they probably wouldn’t like to sit in on another service again. An usher from the church volunteered to show them around and answer any questions they may have. Mark and John were pleased to find out that there were classes they could participate in and not have to endure another sermon. The volunteer gave Linda a connect card to fill out and the website of the church where she can read about the several groups she thought Linda may like to join and about activities her boys would be able to join in on.

       The next week Mark and John were introduced to the leader of their individual groups. Since their ages were farther apart, each boy had their own group to join. Linda was taken into hand by the volunteer of the previous week. This volunteer was not working this Sunday so she asked Linda if she would like to sit with her. After the service, there was a dessert time. At first Linda was reluctant to stay, but the volunteer reassured her that it was free. Her sons found her after their groups and were excited to stay. They came to tell her that their groups would be enjoying their own dessert time with the kids groups. Linda was introduced to many others; a few were also single parents. One of those single parents told Linda how joining the women’s bible study group really helped her. There was always someone to look after any children that came with their parents to any group.

       After about 2 months, Linda got to know what this church would do for anyone who needed help in some way.  It was through the ladies in the women’s bible study group, that Linda and her sons have received a huge food basket. And then with school starting soon, Linda asked for prayers to be able to buy her boys each a new outfit. One of the other ladies had two sons who were older than Linda’s boys, so she brought some of the clothes they had outgrown. Linda also found out that the church has an emergency fund in the case of someone needing financial help with rent. She understood that that would be a onetime help. The church would then help a family find a more affordable home.

       Hoping to receive more help, Linda asked for prayers because she has a doctor’s appointment and was a bit worried about what the doctor would find. Then two weeks later, Linda told the ladies group that she had been diagnosed with cancer. Since it was caught in the early stages her treatment would be medication at first, to see if it had any effect on the cancer. After two weeks on the medication, Linda came to bible study looking very sickly. She assured the ladies that her sons don’t know what is exactly wrong. She doesn’t want to scare them. She wants to wait until her next appointment to find out if the medication was working before she mentions anything to her sons. Meanwhile she admitted that she has been too weak to make dinner after working all day. She said she needed to continue working and will only quit on the advice of her doctor. The ladies got together and made up a schedule for bringing Linda and her boy’s meals. 

       The ladies group brought Linda another food hamper. The volunteer she first met asked her if she needed any help around the house. Linda thanked her but said her boys have been very helpful, so not to worry.

       At her next ladies study group they asked Linda if she would let them lay hands on her. Linda wasn’t sure about that but she had to go along with them otherwise they might suspect something was not right. That was a Thursday night and by Sunday, Linda admitted that she did feel she had more energy. After her next “doctor’s appointment” Linda told the ladies that her doctor felt hopeful that the medications were doing some good, but not to get her hopes up too high.

       One night after she got home from her ladies group, Linda felt more tired than usual. She put it down to the fact that she had to rush home from work to make a snack for the group. All the other ladies had their turn and Linda felt she should offer to bring snacks one night even though the ladies didn’t want her to tire herself out. 

       Another week went by and still Linda has been feeling tired as well as not being very hungry. She decided to make a doctor’s appointment (a real one). The doctor put her through several tests and told her he should get the results within a week. During that week Linda had many thoughts going through her mind. What if she was really sick, and what if it was cancer? It would serve her right if it was, she thought to herself. When the ladies at her group asked how she is feeling, she was not lying when she said, not too good. She asked if they would do another hands on healing session. They were only too happy to do so. The following week she was in her doctor’s office and he gave her some bad news. She had cancer and it was in late stages. Well, she told herself, what did you expect. You told the ladies at group that you had cancer so you might as well have it. At the ladies group that night Linda confessed to lying about having cancer in order to get whatever help the church could give. But, while crying, she told them the truth, the actual truth, she was recently diagnosed with late stage cancer. She cried for forgiveness, which she did receive. She said her treatment will start in a few days. Her only regret is that she deceived so many people and she did not want to go to hell. Also, she needed to tell her sons the truth. The volunteer who first befriended her asked if she could be with Linda when she tells her sons.

        Linda had another appointment just before the start of treatment and asked the volunteer to go with her. The doctor did some more tests and had the results relayed to him quickly, since her treatment should be starting very soon. Much to his surprise, the tests came out negative. He called her into his office; the volunteer came with her, to give her the great news. It must be a miracle he told them, but there is no sign of any cancer in her tests. Linda and the volunteer both praised God amongst tears, which also made the doctor cry.

August 19, 2021 16:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

A Appell
09:44 Sep 10, 2023

Lovely plot twist that is!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ryl J.
12:59 Aug 25, 2021

Aww, what a lovely story! I’m so glad that things worked out well for Linda and that it had a happy ending. I was starting to believe towards the end that it wasn’t going to be. Also, I’m so glad that she got the courage to confess about her lie. Despite the fact that this actually happens in real life, I couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable at the fact that she was lying about something so awful just so she could get some help. Also, can I just say how funny it is that the names of her two sons—John and Mark—are the same as my two brother...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.