Be careful what you wish for

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story around the theme: Be careful what you wish for.... view prompt

0 comments

General

There is a saying that kept on saying, 'if wishes were horses beggars could ride. But some wishes could lead you into a world that you don't know about.

The sun had brightened up, walking together with my mother heading towards the market. But that time, I was a little girl as I hold tight onto my mother's hand. We stopped before a well, and I didn't know why we had to stop there. Looking at my mother, dropping a coin into the well.

"I wish my family could be united, "mother made a wish.

I was an innocent girl who didn't know what all this meant, I didn't decide to keep quite but am always curious with lots of questions filled on my tongue.

"Momma! Why did you throw the coin in the well?

I kept on bugging her with questions, without having to swallow my saliva in a bit. Mummy bent down over me, holding my hand as she explained in full details*

"It's a wishing well, "she said as we headed towards the market.

I could say have always been an item of bullying wherever I step my foot in. My brothers and sisters couldn't leave me alone but kept on bullying and making fun of me each moment.

The next day, no one had an idea what was in my mind as I headed towards the market all alone. Standing right before the wishing well, wishing one wish that was in my tongue*

"I wish I could be alone and not to set my eyes on my family. "

The night was so long and quiet that no sound was heard, as I woke up from my deepest sleep rubbing my eyes and yawning so loudly, going downstairs. Something strange was going on, there was no one in the house.

Where is everybody! I wondered and kept on asking myself over and over, scratching my head "think! Think!

Its like the earth had swallowed my family, "momma! Jean! Robert! Susan! but I was welcomed with deep silence.

Oh no! Did I wish for the earth to swallow my family?

I didn't know what to do, but I had to be the lady of the house as I prepared milk shake and sat down in the living room to watch my favorite cartoon. Night had fallen, all alone in that big house that attracted burglars, I was scared to death making an urgent phone to the police.

"Where are your parents? the police man asked

I couldn't say that I made them disappear, but all I said they had travelled. By the look on their eyes, they didn't buy those lies from a little girl.

I missed my family and I wished them back, nightmares that kept on coming through my mind seeing a monster with sharp teeth, swallowing my family. Fear gripped my throat, tears ran all over my face.

Morning had come but i didn't want to be alone anymore, standing right before the wishing well*

"I wish my family will come back, "throwing the coin into the well as i headed home.

From a distance i heard laughter, "where could it be coming from? opening the door and I saw my family were back.

"Momma! Jean! Robert! Susan! you are back, hugging them so tightly never to let them go. Have always learnt to be careful of what i wish for.

Copyright by Joan Opoyi

November 19, 2019 09:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.