0 comments

American Fiction


Clinton raised another forkful of his omelet to his mouth.  He stopped chewing for a moment to say, “I tell you, there’s no other place like Vegas in the world.” 

Sarah smiled. “So you’ve  said.  Have you been to other places?”

Clinton washed down the last bit of his Western omelet with a  long sip of coffee.  He wiped his mouth with the cloth napkin and set it near his empty plate. “Japan, Monte Carlo, Monaco-now that place is where the real money is. It just seemed everyone there, all dressed in their finest evening gowns and tuxedos,”  He paused when a memory of Monaco touched his thoughts,  “well, let me just say it oozed of wealth and grandeur. But Vegas. Look around. You see people from all over the world from the average Joe to the very wealthy sitting next to each other at the tables all in pursuit of one thing--money.”

“What do you do?”

“Take me for example. I have some cash but I don’t flaunt it.  If I wanted, I could easily  play at the high rollers section, but what fun is that.  Standing next to someone who would never give me the time of day on the street though I might be worth more than them.  No, I come here six, seven times a year depending on my business in Florida which is real estate with a bit of import and export thrown in the mix and come here to play craps and mingle in with everyone. And you?”

“Not so ‘grandeur’ as you I’m afraid. I’m a Registered Nurse from Cleveland.”

Clinton looked across the table at Sarah. “Not much! My dear girl, don’t belittle yourself.  I’m genuinely impressed.  Must have been pretty brutal and dangerous during the COVID crisis thing.”

Sarah looked down, inhaled deeply and sighed. “It was, was terrible. Seeing people die who thought they had the flu but in reality had the COVID.  Holding their hand as they took their last breath and said their final words because none of their family were allowed in.  She set her fork down and raised her head.  Clinton could see her tears forming.  Poor kid.   “Tell you what. I’ve got a few more days before I leave.  How much time you have?”

“Til tonight.  My flight leaves at 10.  Why?”

The waitress came up to them. “Is there anything else I can get for you two?”

Clinton looked at Sarah who shook her head no.  “ Just the check, thanks.”

The waitress set the check down next to Clinton’s plate and left.  He reached for it. 

 “We split the bill, okay?” offered Sarah.

“I can’t do that.  You made me a lot of money on the crap table last night. It’s the least I can do. Okay?”

Sarah mulled that over for a moment. “You’ve got that determined look on your face like you did last night at the table so how’s this, I insist you pay the bill.”

”That’s the spirit.  That’s the attitude I like to see in you. It’s a carry- over from last night when you were standing next to me as I rolled the dice. We were hot weren’t we?”

“You were quite lucky that’s for sure. I mean, you hit on nearly roll you played.”

“Believe it or not I was down to my last grand when you sat next to me. “

“I didn’t know men like you ever had a last grand or a last dollar or a last million.”

Clinton laughed. “I was speaking relatively of course.”

“Of course.” Sarah took a sip of orange juice. “ You’re lucky.”

“How so?”

“It’s obvious you’re well established by the bets you were making last night, the way you’re well dressed and your tan, Bahamas or somewhere in the Caribbean I’d say.  Probably from playing golf every day on some sun drenched course. This all tells me you’re a man who has time on his hands if he wants and uses it to his advantage.”

“Meaning?”

“Forget it. I’m sorry.”

“No, go on.”

 “Let’s say it’s winter and the temperature is freezing.  I bet you look out your window and say ‘Time to fly south. Jamaica. Aruba.’” 

“I see. You know there are things called tanning booths.”

“No.  You’re not fake. You don’t need to pretend. You want the real thing. You want a beach to lay on, you want to feel the hot sand against your back while the sun beats down on you.  You also want to be in motion.  You need action.  You want to know the sad part of that?”

“Of course.” This ought to be good. 

“You do it because you can. You can take off whenever you want and go wherever you want without worrying about bills to pay or where the money will come from because, you have the money.  Am I right?”

Clinton leaned back in his chair and studied Sarah for a while.  Pretty damn perceptive this one. I should tell her I’m worth a few million just to see what she says and does. In the meantime, I’ll play her game. “Spot on. You forget one thing and I don’t want to be brash here, but I earned that right. I worked hard since I was fourteen. I can’t really help it if I made a ton of money in the process can I?” 

“Ha. Of course you can’t and why should you?  We’re in Vegas where anything can happen. Where complete strangers collide with each other to become acquaintances, lovers, one night stands or, in my case, someone’s good luck charm.  How was I to know when I stood next to you last night at the crap table we’d be here this morning having breakfast. And without any sex involved.”

I never thought about that.  “Were you expecting me to hit on you?” She is charming and actually not bad looking  I must say.  The way her black hair is cropped straight just above her shoulders, her olive skin,  her red lipstick highlighting sumptuous lips and her deep coal eyes.  He chuckled to himself thinking her eyes look like the mystic eight ball reading to reveal more of her inner secrets.    Hers jump out at you glistening, expectant and, at times I noticed last night, wild.. Hmm.   She’s probably about thirty. I’m fifty two.  “Married?”

“Nope. Almost once, but that’s another story.”  She looked at her watch. “I must go. I’m tired and honestly, standing on my feet for over eight hours wore me out.  Strange isn’t it?  That standing  around doing nothing could tire one out?”

“It’s the rush one gets betting. It’s the adrenaline racing through you jangling every nerve with every toss of the dice waiting to see if you hit or not.  It drains the heck out of you. Being a nurse you should know the ill effects gambling plays on a person.”

Laughing. “Not really. I’ve never had a patient come in overdosing on gambling.” Her face becomes grim, her eyes dark.  “ No, wait. I lied. There was one guy who tried to commit suicide because he lost everything at our local casino.”  She stands and yawns. “He made quite a mess of it actually. Shot himself in the shoulder instead of his heart,” she said pointing to her heart.  “If you’re going to kill yourself right here is the way to do it.”  She puts her finger to her right temple. “Save everyone the grief of trying to save your life when you didn’t want to live in the first place, I suppose.”

Damn! She can’t be that cold blooded, can she?

“ I’m sorry. Too much detail.  Let’s call it a day. Or night. Or whatever now is.”

Clinton stands  and walks around the table. “Can we meet before you leave?  Where are you staying?”

“Uh huh. Where are you staying?”

“Here at the Bellagio?”

“Tell you what. Let’s call it even shall we.  I need to catch up on my sleep before I leave this den of inequity. Don’t forget I’m a working girl with a regular shift from eleven to seven who needs a salary, but right now, I need to sleep if I’m to catch my flight tonight.”

I can’t let her leave without knowing more about her. Think Clint! Think!   “Tell you what. I have a proposition for you.” Sarah begins to walk away.  Clinton takes her arm and begins to walk with her. “You don’t mind me holding your arm, do you?”

“Not at all. It’s rather gentlemanly. A lost art.”

They leave the restaurant  and begin walking along the marble floored hall of the Bellagio casino leading to the casino floor where the tables and slot machines are.  A sudden shout erupts coming from somewhere on the casino’s floor.  “Someone must have gotten lucky,” Clinton mentioned.  “ Why don’t you tell me where you’re staying?”

Sarah stops abruptly and turns to look at Clinton. She takes a deep breath. “Clinton. You’re a very nice man. I had a great time with you and am glad you enjoyed my company and made a lot of money. But getting too personal is where I draw the line.  No offense.  I came here to relax for two days, have some great food and try my luck with my paltry bankroll of three-hundred dollars on the slot machines.  Meeting you was, well, perhaps a mistake and I apologize if I led you on.”

What the hell is she talking about?  Lead me on?  “All right. If we’re being honest you did not lead me on.  In fact, I used the guise of winning and making you believe that because you were next to me you were my lucky charm.  I’ve gambled long enough to realize a hot streak when it comes.  And when you’re on one you don’t want any changes around you to cool you down. The reality is I used all that as a way to keep you close to me.  Sure I got lucky, but my true luck was in finding you.  I found you attractive and easy to talk to.  I never intended …”

Sarah smiled and took his hand.  “That’s sweet.  Since we’re being honest. Let’s sit down.”  She takes Clinton’s hand and they walk into a sparsely filled lounge.  They sit at a circular table close to a wall.  A waiter arrives. “Two Sapphire blues and Tonics with lime,” 

“Yes sir.”

“Thanks. I need one.”  Sarah avoids his eyes.  The waiter comes and deposits their drinks on the table. Sarah picks up her glass as does Clinton.  They cling their glasses. “To honesty then.”

Sarah inhales deeply.  “All right then to honesty.  Here it comes the whole truth and nothing but. I’m broke. I lost everything I had within the first eight hours of playing slots.  I maxed out my credit cards and savings. When I stood next to you I was down to ‘my last fifty and thought I could get some of my money back.”

Jesus. I would have never guessed she was such a hard core gambler. Or..

  “So you see Clinton, when you said you were down to your last grand I thought, well how grand that must be to be down to your last grand.  And then you started winning…”

“I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s my fault. I lost over five thousand and for what? I’m just stupid and weak.”  Sarah begins to cry. 

Sarah wipes her tears away.  He leans over the small circular table.  “I’ll help you out. I won over twenty grand last night and, despite what I said earlier, you did bring me luck. Besides, five grand to me is like..”

“No!”

“Yes. I insist.” Poor kid. Should I give her six?  He pulls out a wad of hundreds from his pant pocket and peels off ten grand. He takes Sarah’s hand and puts the money in her palm then folds her fingers around it. 

She smiles and looks down at the bills in her hand.  “I can’t. I make good money as a RN so it won’t take me long to recoup my losses. Here, take it.” She goes to give Clinton the money but he pushes her hand back.

“Look. Take it. If it makes you feel better take this too.”  He hands her one of his business cards.  “You can pay me back when you can. How’s that?”

Sarah laughs as she reads the business card. “Kent’s 53 Imports and Exports. How’d you come up..”

“When I was younger I used to smoke Kent cigarettes.  53,  is the age I gave myself to make my first million.”

“Did you?”

“Don’t know;  probably, but honestly,  I lost count as to how much I’m worth.  Besides, I haven’t reached 53 yet until July rolls around.”  So I lied. 

“I see. So this is your proposition?  To lend me..”

“No, to give you. But there’s a caveat.”

“I knew it.  Here, take you money. Like I said, I make good money on my own. I got reckless. I don’t need your charity.”

“Let me rephrase.  You hang with me a few more days, we play craps or blackjack or whatever you want.  We have a good time. On me. What do you say?”

“Right off. No. Besides, I prefer lend if you don’t mind.”  Sarah takes a sip of her drink. “ I have two vacation days left after this stint which means I have one vacation day left until next year.” Sarah looks hard at Clinton. “What you’re asking is...I’m sorry. It’s all so fast. Can you excuse me a minute? I want to freshen up and think about it alone for a few minutes.”

“Of course.”

Sarah leaves.  Clinton’s eyes follow her until she disappears around the corner. “You did the right thing. Helping one another never hurt, besides, I like her. We could have fun together and, who knows?”  He takes a long swallow of his drink.

Sarah walks by the restroom and outside to the taxi stand. 

The cab attendant blows his whistle and the next cab in line pulls up. He opens the door for Sarah. She tips him and gets in the cab. 

“Where to?”  the driver asks before looking into the rear view mirror “Well, well. Lisa! Nice to see you again.  You’re looking good as always.  Hey, I thought you left town a month ago.”

“Hey Hank. No. Something big came up so I decided to stay. You know how it is. One day you love living here, the next you hate it and want to get out.”

“True there. I’ve been telling my wife let’s get out of here.  I can drive a cab anywhere.  But.”  Hank puts the cab into drive. “Where to?”  

“Ten ten Bonanza Drive.”

“Still living in those apartments huh. Wasn’t there a shooting there last week?”

Lisa goes to put the money in her purse then stops and looks at the wad of bills for several moments. Ten grand. Wow!  He truly was a sucker to believe such shit. “Uh, yeah. A guy shot his wife or something like that.”  This is it girl. You can leave and never come back to this rat hole. Weren’t you saying to yourself a few nights ago, one more score.  Well, you’re looking at it.  Her hands began to shake. Calm down. Go home, pack and get the hell out of here.   And then what?  Damn! “Hank. Pull into the Flamingo..”

Hank pulls into the Flamingo’s Casino driveway. “Forget something?”

Lisa sits there for a time. “ Have you ever been tired? I mean truly tired.”

“Why sure. Every day after each shift. You know how these tourists are.”

“Yeah. I know. Take me back to the Bellagio. I suddenly became very tired.” 


August 19, 2021 23:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.