9 comments

General

It looked like he was dead. Had they really hit him? Maybe he had already been dead and they just ran over him. Who were kidding? They definitely killed him. What were they going to do? “Guys...” Corbyn said looking dead straight from the middle back seat. He was shaking, making the others friends even more nervous then they had already been. Jade was so wide eyed, starting to hyperventilate it looked like she was about to pass out any second now. Kelly was covering her eyes, and Justin, the only calm one, who had fallen asleep when they got into the car. Liam was trying his  best not to scream. He unbuckled his seat belt and ran over to the man soon followed by Kelly then Corbyn and Jade struggled out of the backseats. They all circled around the man as Kelly bent down to check his pulse. A long few seconds later she whispered the words they were all dreading to hear. “He’s dead.” 


Jade 

I warned them we should have just left in the morning paying for an extra night wouldn’t have been too bad if we all pitched in, and when they didn’t listen I told them not to focus on the music, they should have been looking at the road. Now this poor man was dead all because my voice wasn’t heard. Maybe if I spoke up a little louder, or I convinced Liam to let me drive. I was starting to get light headed, but I just leaned against the car. Kelly and Liam started doing CPR, but nobody said anything about calling the police. I nudged Corbyn. “Call?” I whispered. I was still painting and I thought I was going to throw up. “Should we call an ambulance?” Corbyn said for me. Kelly, who was still trying to give him compressions, spoke before Liam could. “We’ll get arrested.” Liam looked up at her. “Why are we trying to save him if we’re not going to do everything we can to help him. An AED could save his life right now. Even if just this works, what are we going to do? Help him on his feet, not tell him we hit him and just leave him here?” I was on Liam’s side. There was no point if we were only going to half the job. “Corbyn, search his pockets for id or something.” Kelly ordered. I could tell Corbyn didn’t like that idea, but he did it anyways. “What happens if we can’t help him?” I whispered. My vision was blotchy, my head was spinning. 

My legs felt weak and my head was so heavy. There were spinning black stars and I felt myself fall to the ground as I heard Liam say “Wake Justin up, Jade needs help.”


Justin 

I woke up to the car empty and Corbyn shaking my shoulder. “Justin wake up now.” I rubbed my eyes. “Are we back home?” I sat upright from my slumped position. “No, there was an accident...” “where are we?”I widened my eyes. “What? Is everyone okay?” I looked ahead through the front dash mirror. “Are they crowded around Jade? What happened?” “Well jade passed out, we need your help, and Liam accidently hit a guy. So get up and help us now. Do you have a cpr kit in your trunk?” I unbuckled my seatbelt and Corbyn moved so I could get out. “Hurry up Justin.” I got out and went to the back, popped the trunk open and passed the kit to Corbyn. “Jade is on the side of the car in the front, go see what's wrong.” When I got to Jade, she was stirring a little so I rushed over to her. “Are you okay?” I asked her, shaking her a little bit. She opened her eyes looking confused. “What happened?” I sat her up and checked her pulse. “I'll get some water, you passed out, I guess because of what just happened.” I grabbed a bottle of water from the trunk, twisted the cap open a bit and handed it to her. As she drank I started to take in what was going on. Liam and Kelly were doing CPR on a man who was limp on the ground. Arguing about whether or not to call the ambulance. It looked like Corbyn was not just trying to panic too much. He fumbled the wallet when he opened it, finding the name of the man. He started pacing again. I turned my gaze back to Jade, helping her pace her breathing.  "Harvey Karr Davidson age thirty two."


Kelly

“He’s dead,” What were we supposed to do now? My lifeguard instinct kicked in and I yelled to Liam to do breaths while I did compressions. While he did breaths, I would check his pulse and glance over at the other two to make sure they were okay. Jade and Corbyn looked too nervous to really help out at all. Jade whispered something to him and asked us “Should we call an ambulance?” I started to panic but I didn’t let it show. “We’ll get arrested.” I said quickly. If the police found out we hit him, we would be in trouble for sure, and I don’t know about them but a murder charge on my record would not look good. “Why are we trying to save him if we’re not going to do everything we can to help him. An AED could save his life right now. Even if just this works, what are we going to do? Help him on his feet, not tell him we hit him and just leave him here?” Liam told me. A part of me told me he wasn’t wrong, but I couldn’t risk it.  I would not let this man take me away from the rest of my life. Was it my fault Liam hit the guy? No but the police would think so. “Corbyn, search his pockets for id or something.” I said. Maybe that could do some good. Or maybe we could take his id away and nobody would be able to identify him. Maybe we could just leave him off the side of the road and leave. Would he remember us? I’m not even sure he saw us. There was no way he would remember anything. Maybe we should let him go. Liam was right, if he woke up we would have to help him, we couldn’t just leave him there, and if he woke up then he would know it was us. His pulse was already non-existent, he was dead, I don’t know why we’re trying to save him. “Harvey Karr Davidson, Age thirty two.” Corbyn said. That was it. He was just some old guy who made the mistake of walking across the road in all black, he was dead and we were not going to save him. I checked his pulse again and lifted my hands off of him and spoke with a tone of dismay, “There's no helping him guys. He’s gone. Get in the car, we can leave him here.” 


Corbyn 

At first I just stood there frozen. Then Jade collapsed, I went to go wake up Justin, he would help her, I was the most clueless when it came to CPR in this group. I started to pace, my eyes bouncing between Jade starting to stir and the man fallen in front of Justin’s car. My head was out of focus and I was in shock. Kelly told me to search the man for id. I didn’t want to do it, it felt weird, wrong. I eventually found a wallet in his ripped jacket pocket and just before I took it out, I wondered, maybe I should call the police. I would lose them as friends but I thought it was the right thing to do. Though Kelly was the trained certified person to make the calls and her wrath could be awful. I took out the wallet, opened it and read the name on the id that seemed to match his face. “Harvey Karr Davidson, Age thirty two.” I read aloud. I saw the look on Kelly’s face and half of me regret not calling the police when I had the chance. She wasn’t smiling or frowning, but it was the face she made when she was scheming, trying to figure out what to do next. For a split second I was more afraid of what she would say next rather than the fact that a man had been hit and I was in the car. “There's no helping him guys. He’s gone. Get in the car, we can leave him here.” She sounded sad but it sounded off. “We can move him off to the side of the road and leave.” she said. I gasped. “Kelly! We just hit a man and you want to leave him here? You’re a lifeguard! How are you okay with not calling the hospital?” she stayed silent. Liam nodded in agreement with me. I could tell he was just scared of what happened to him, but still, he was trying to do the right thing. “If you want to call so badly we can leave him here and leave an anonymous tip. I will not let us be blamed for this.” She looked slightly guilty but shook her head and stood by what she said. I turned to Justin and Jade, “How are you?” I had no words for Kelly anymore. Jade smiled but she looked weak. “Get into the car,” Liam said to us. “What? You're on her side too now?” I was shocked. “You guys leave, I'll stay back, the hotel isn’t far from here I can say I was out walking. I'll call the police and figure everything out. I was the one who hit him after all. Leave, I’ll talk to you guys later.” I helped Jade up and we got into the car, and tried to reason with him. “Let me stay with you. ” Liam shook his head. “Let me do this. You guys drive safe.”Kelly took the driver's seat and with hardly any hesitation she started the car. 


Liam

I knew exactly why Kelly was saying what she was saying, this wasn’t her, I grew up knowing her my whole life. She wanted to protect herself. I was getting fed up so I thought of a plan that could work. Nobody saw us, they could leave and I would be here. I could continue CPR, the police wouldn’t take too long to get here. It would work. They got into the car, Corbyn didn’t want to leave me, “Let me stay with you.” but I shook my head, I would fix this. With no last words, Kelly got into the car and left, just as I had expected, I took out my phone and called 9-1-1. “9-1-1, how may I help you?” the operator said. “I was walking down the road when I saw a man lying limp and I started CPR immediately, can someone take him to the hospital?” 

“Where exactly are you?” “Kary drive and Castle road south.”

“Someone should be there to assist in a few minutes, just hold on sir.”


May 08, 2020 21:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Sadia Faisal
08:01 May 25, 2020

nice story, please like my story if you like it and follow me

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:02 May 13, 2020

Oh oh, this was done very well. Even I wrote about a drinking and driving based story so it was interesting to read. Do check mine too. Stay safe and keep writing.

Reply

Ivy Moonlit
22:37 May 13, 2020

will do

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Drew
07:39 May 10, 2020

Very good. THe wrap-up at the end it satisfyingly shocking! Well done.

Reply

Ivy Moonlit
22:36 May 13, 2020

thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shae Tybalt
17:24 May 09, 2020

😬<== Me the whole read. I feel second-hand guilt lmao. 🥂🚫🚗 DRINK RESPONSIBLY

Reply

Ivy Moonlit
22:36 May 13, 2020

Honestly im not too sure I imagined the friends to be drinking and driving, more or less playing music to loud to really focus and just being really sleepy and drowsy because it was late at night.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen Jones
17:08 May 09, 2020

Great perspective from all the characters. Could be a great beginning to see where they all go from the incident.

Reply

Ivy Moonlit
22:38 May 13, 2020

Definitely- this is one of my stories I enjoyed writing the most and I could really imagine where they all go after this as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.