0 comments

General

 “Mom I really love you but I can’t fulfill your wish..” This was the sentence Kim already used for thousand times to defend himself..

“Why? And I don’t understand what’s so difficult about that?” His mother never let him win the argument.

“I don’t know, I really can’t, I mean its so difficult for me to understand numbers and all the dramas they let us to go through”, Kim really didn’t know what was the issue with him but since his childhood he always struggle with understanding numbers, calculations and formulas but his mother wanted him to become a mathematician.. Ooppss..

Now when, it was a very important time for him to choose a subject in his college on which he will going to make his career in future, they had an argument again.. Dad and Siri were watching them and sighing.

“Trust me with the help of academy, you’ll going to understand each and everything, I’ll help you as well with everything possible, you can do anything Kim, its not that hard and you have a genius mind..”, she was convincing him so hard..

“I’ll going to fail in my first exam, I’m telling you, mathematics is not for me and my mind is genius in other things like writing, painting and other Art’s stuffs, trust me Mom..”, as if he was about to cry.. Dad and Siri were feeling sympathy for him..

“You think I can let you choose such disgusting professions which can’t get you anything in life”, her face became red because of anger.

“Arguing with you is only wasting our time”, Kim left the room with disappointment on his face. 

“Why can’t she understand me? And what’s so special about mathematics? How can I make her realize that numbers makes my mind dizzy and upside down”, Kim shared his life’s biggest problem with Dad again, despite knowing the fact that he can’t help him against Mom..

“I think you should give it a try, just do it and if you’ll not going to make it happen then I’ll help you to convince your Mom for sure”.. He was the kind of husband who never argued with his wife but for Kim he could make this happen..

Life is not easy for sure and if people make you do something you really can’t do or hate to do then life become more toxic, Kim believed.

Kim accepted his life as his mother wanted, giving up on dreams are more easy than hurting the one you love, Kim believed this too.

On his first day in college, professor took everyone’s introduction with the question that why they chose to be a Mathematician? Kim was thinking for a valid or suitable reason..

“My name is Kim Young and I’m here to become a Mathematician because”, A deep silence in which only Kim could hear his dreams shattering.. “Because I want it”..

“My son is making me proud, soon he’ll going to become one of the best Mathematician”, Kim’s mother liked to praise him in gatherings..

“What is your biggest wish? Kim’s friend asked him once.. Kim’s eyes looked empty, he seemed like a robot who only knew to went to college and academy to study mathematics for hours..

“I don’t know, I just want to fly away”.. His voice was not a voice of a young guy..

“See, I told you, you can do anything, I’m proud of you”, Kim’s mother at that moment seemed world’s happiest person because he got good grade in his first mock test..

“Do spend more time in your academy so the result can improve more”, she accomplished.

“Okay Mom”, he didn’t want to destroy her happiness with complains and arguments.

“Kim, are you alright?” , Siri asked Kim few time before as well and now she was looking at him like she has found something in his eyes..

“Yeah I’m good, doing perfectly fine”, this is how people talks with broken heart. 

“I’m going to arrange a big party after Kim’s final exams to celebrate his first year in college as a Mathematician”, Kim’s mother’s happiness seemed on peak.

“Mom, don’t you think you’re burdening him with something he didn’t want to do, just look at his face, he’s as somewhere lost”, Siri is wailed.

“No, he’s perfectly fine and it’s his first year that’s why he need time to adjust” she was sure about her decision was right.

“Kim how’s your preparation going for final exam?” his friends wanted to know.

“Good”, his answers were getting really short day by day as if he didn’t want to speak a word.

“What is this Kim? Your nose is bleeding” ,his friend told him.

Kim saw drops of blood falling on his hand from his nose and suddenly he lost consciousness.

“What happened? What happened to my son? Dad and Seri were the first to visit Kim in the hospital”, 

“He lost his consciousness and collapsed, we’re taking care of him, don’t worry he’s under observation”, Dr. calmed them.

After a while when Kim’s mother arrived, they took him for MRI because he was still unconscious. When the MRI results came Dr. held a meeting with Kim’s parents..

“From how long he was suffering with headache and nose bleeding??” Dr. Asked.

“It was for the first time Dr.” His mother confidently answered.

“No, Its definitely not for the first time because his condition is at it worst”, He shocked them.

“But tell us, what’s wrong with him?” Kim’s Dad wanted to know desperately.

“He has tumor in his head and it seems that he was suffering from trauma and depression from long which worsened his tumor”, Dr. had a bad news for them.

“What? Tumor? But how?”, they were puzzled.

“We need to wait for him to gain consciousness in next 24 hours, otherwise we’ll have to declare it as a brain hemorrhage”, Dr. seemed hopeless.

“See, it’s all because of you, because of your petty wishes, he’s on death bed, he told you that he couldn’t take the stress but you forced him”, Kim’s Dad broke the silence but now it was too late.

After 20 years…

“Dad I want to become a musician”, Kim’s son was excitedly telling him.

“You can become whatever you want to my dear son”, Kim tapped his shoulder to praise him.

“But Dad, don’t you want me to become something according to your wish?”, He was curious to know his dad’s wish.

“No, I want you to become whatever you would love to because I understand the fact that not every time we can make people learn something new or different. We just need to give people space in which they can do whatever they find peace in..” He smiled, a very generous smile.

Kim’s life became so difficult at a point where he was about to die but he didn’t let this to destroy his relation with his mother and with years of struggle and efforts he became a Mathematician, a proud Mathematician.. He still believe that giving up on your dreams for someone you love is not a really big loss but he also didn’t want to ask sacrifice from someone he loves..

August 13, 2020 01:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.