0 comments

Fantasy Urban Fantasy Contemporary

Matt Lorain steamed. How could such insignificant creatures dare to question him? He was a genius, a billionaire, an innovator. These lowly creatures owed everything to him and now they had the gull to question him.

Matt sat at the head of a large ovular desk surrounded by the board members of Nurv@na in a room encased by glass. The board members all wore suits, he wore his signature hooded sweatshirt and cargo pants. They were all clear eyed and bushy tailed. Matt’s eyes were bloodshot and he reeked of alcohol.

Donald Parker cleared his throat, “Matt this has gone on for far too long. You can’t treat life like it’s some sort of game.”

Matt glared at Donald. To Matt the man resembled an overly bloated bullfrog. With his ever gaping mouth always working hard to suck more oxygen into his disgustingly protruding gut. Matt refused to speak to such a lowly creature.

Donald cleared his throat again and adjusted his tie, “Ok then let’s just proceed with the allegations. The first one comes from Delbee Batu, also known as Phamous Gangus, she claims you two met when she was sixteen.”

Images of Delbee flashed through Matt’s mind. Her sweet smile, her warm eyes, the night they had listened to the Goaldeen Nurvana mix CD together. A warmth spread through Matt as he recalled the memories. A warmth that caused him to grin, much to the chagrin of the board members.

“Delbee was fun,” said Matt defensively. “We understood each other. We had good times.”

“She was underage Matt,” replied Donald forcefully. “You were twenty six when you two met.”

“She was mature for her age and I wasn’t, big deal.”

“It’s a very big deal. Were you two intimate?”

Matt swallowed down a large lump in his throat and slouched into his chair. His eyes darted away from Donald and out a window.

“I think that answers that,” replied Donald after a moment. “Anyways on to the next allegation. Are you familiar with an artist named Kulu Onya?”

Of course Matt was familiar with Kulu Onya. His rise in popularity hadn’t bothered Matt at first, but then the uppity bastard began blasting capitalism. Worse off he had the nerve to use the media platform that Matt had created as a blow horn for his propaganda. He single handedly made #taxtherich soar up the trending list. On his platform. It was obvious to Matt that it was aimed at him. Especially since his taxes were leaked to the public just a couple days prior. So to distract the idiotic public Matt made a new hashtag trendy.

“According to this,” continued Donald, “you hacked into his girlfriend's phone and leaked nude images of Kulu onto Nurv@na. Not only that but you openly body shamed him and used bots to make #shrimpy trendy on the social media platform that you control.”

“Famous people give up their right to privacy,” simply responded Matt. “That’s just part of the deal.”

“Famous people like you?”

“I wouldn’t consider myself famous.”

“You the second richest man in America. I think that makes you slightly famous.”

Proudly Matt smiled. “Yeah…yeah I guess if you put it that way, then yes, I am famous.”

“So if compromising photos and videos of you leaked, that would be justified?”

Matt’s features crumbled up in confusion. “There are no such photos, or videos of me.”

“That’s not what Rebecca Lowe claims.”

Matt recoiled at the mention of Rebecca Lowe. That girl was fun. Lots of fun, but she was always recording on her phone. Matt cleared his throat and sat upright, “I…I don’t…know her,” he lied.

“Well Matt she knows you,” Donald confidently said. “She claims to have over a…and this just sounds ridiculous, but she claims to have over a hundred pictures of your genitalia. She also claims to have several compromising videos of you. Including one in which you snort an illegal substance off her bare bottom.”

“That’s…that’s not me. Or even if it is, what's wrong with having fun?”

“Fun?”

“Yeah I deserve it quite frankly. I’m rich, I made all of you here rich. I deserve whatever I want.”

“The public outcry is what is wrong. How do you think this will play in middle America?”

“Who cares? They would all do the same if they were in my position.”

“People care Matt. You’ve treated life like it’s a video game and now you’ve endangered our company’s image.”

“My company.”

“Perhaps not for long.”

“What does that mean?”

“Let’s continue shall we.”

“No!” hollered Matt smashing his fist into the table. “Are you threatening to take my company from me? You can’t. I own a majority of the stocks.”

Donald ignored the outburst and continued on, “Rebecca Lowe claims you used your power to indirectly force her into an intimate relationship.”

“What? She’s a liar. And what is this meeting really about? Are you trying to steal my company?”

“No, we are trying to save it.”

“Save it from what?”

“Lastly,” continued Donald, “there are several lawsuits against the company claiming the algorithm caused the deaths of several individuals. Several families including the families of Davey Greene, Zachary Johnson and Jon Fitzpatrick all claim that the Nurv@na app was pivotal in the wrongful deaths of their loved ones. They are suing the company for millions of dollars and the number of plaintiffs joining their lawsuit is growing every single day.”

“How does that have anything to do with me?”

“You’ve been reckless Matt. You’ve created a culture of debauchery. Your leadership is juvenile in nature and your public image is a blight. We’ve called this board meeting today to ask you to step down.”

“You just want control. All of you!” screamed Matt. “Nothing but a bunch of vultures. I made something great and you jackals want to steal it from me. Well you can’t have it. I win. I always win.”

“Not this time Matt. Look. Here are your options. Step down now and sell off ten percent of your shares. You do that and we can perhaps solve these allegations quietly. If you choose to fight it, then we’ll allow all these allegations to go forward. Be warned you would be facing years in prison.”

“You can’t be serious.” Matt looked around at the faces gathered around the table. Desperately searching for some sympathy. He found nothing, but cold hardened stares. “You…you…can’t do this. Nurv@na is mine.”

“Not anymore Matt. It’s over. Just accept it. Everything is all fun and games until you start messing with your investors’ money. We won’t tolerate you jeopardizing everything.”

“I’ll hire the best lawyers. I’ll beat all these allegations. They are flimsy anyways.”

“You won’t Matt.”

“How can you know that Donald?”

“You won’t Matt. Trust me.”

Matt slouched deep into his chair. He couldn’t believe what was occurring. Donald slid a packet of paper and an elaborate, bulky pen over to Matt.

“Times up Matt. Sign, or fight the inevitable. It’s your choice.”

Matt's throat went dry.

He clicked the pen.

He signed.

April 19, 2024 23:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.