23 comments

Kids

I searched around the house for an object it's a cube with a bunch of symbols on it. Ah, I found it, it was in my mother's secret never-open-drawer. I held the cube it had a bunch of cat's eyes, paws, and running shape and more symbols? I hold the cube in my room until the cube made a huge flash! I saw a cat shape coming to me. I touched its fur. It's real? I thought confused.

"I know what your thinking." The strange cat meowed.

"Who who are you?" I stammered.

"I'm your guardian from now on, good thing you found this cube." He mewed.

"What what's wrong with my parents?" I said confused.

"Little kid have you took the newspaper in or watch the news?" He mewed.

"No, no I haven't yet," I said.

I felt weird talking to a cat. So I went to get the newspaper and handed it to the cat.

"Here you go cat," I said giving him the newspaper without looking.

The cat was cleaning his fur. "Hmm? I thought you were going to read it and find out yourself." He said in a muffled mew while stroking his white fur neatly.

"What's your name?" I asked.

He looked up. "I will speak of my name once I trust you and once you trust me." He said slowly.

"Can you read the newspaper to me?" I said.

He glared at me. "What's the magic word." He meowed.

I sighed rolling my eyes. "Please," I said annoyed.

"Children these days need to watch their manners." He mewed.

"Ok, an overall summary on this front page of the newspaper is that your parents died from a car accident." He mewed then sighed then shook his head.

I went to the kitchen and made some toast with butter. I gave some crust to the cat and ate the sandwich slowly.

"I can tell that you are sad." He said breaking the silence.

"Yeah, I'm sad," I said finishing my toast.

I walked to my parent's room and sat on their bed.

"I'll tell you my name," I said to the cat.

The cat lied down next to me. "Alright go ahead." He mewed then started looking at me.

"My name is Zoey," I said slowly.

I started crying. I could feel each and every drop sliding down my cheeks like a waterslide. It reminded me of that time when my parents took me to a waterpark.

The cat put one of his paws on me and said "hey it's alright now they are looking over you in the heavens." He mewed then crawled on to my lap.

"How about we go stargazing," I said.

"My parents and I always went stargazing when the weather is fine," I said smiling,

"You have a beautiful smile." The cat said.

I grabbed the cat and hugged him in my arms. I took us to the grassy field. Then I lied down looking up at the fireflies flash and flew around. Then I saw the stars and gasped.

"It's beautiful," I said.

The stars glimmer and shone among the millions of stars. Each and one of them unique in their own way. I feel like I'm going to cry again. Then I whispered "mom? Dad? are you there looking down at me? Can you see me?." I smiled cause I know my parents will always love me.

I felt the cat's white smooth hair. The cat looked at me with it's glowing blue eyes showing that he cares, loves, and will protect me at any cause like my parents would have done. I followed him back home and I lied in my bed feeling the warmth of the summer hot air. I breathed slowly and sooner or later I fell asleep.

The next morning I could hear the birds chirping and singing, and I could also smell the kitchens good smell? I followed the scent confused. The next thing I knew was that the cat was cooking french toast and pancakes.

"Are my eyes messing with me?" I asked.

"No, your eyes are not messing with you I'm a magical cat of course I can cook!" He said laughing.

"You should've seen your face hah! You looked so confused." He said smiling at me.

I smiled back. I set the table and stacked some books on the chair so the cat can reach up to the table and eat with me. I grabbed the plate full of pancakes and french toast and set it on the table. Then I grabbed the cat and put him on my stack of books. I handed him a pancake. He gobbled it all up hungrily.

"Jeez, are you that hungry? Here have some more." I said.

He nodded. Then stuffed himself with 2 more pancakes. I ate the french toast while watching him stuffing himself with pancakes.

"Alright you can eat the rest, I'm stuffed! I never felt this stuffed in so long." He mewed with a cute face.

I squished his chubby face "theirs nothing like a cute cat lying down on stacks of books!" I said.

"You look like a nerd that just finished reading a whole series of books that you love!" I teased.

"Do I?" He said with a charming smile.

"Ok cat, stop with the nonsense," I said looking at him.

"I think it's time for me to tell you something." He mewed.

I followed the cat to my bedroom.

"My name is Azamondius I'm actually a dragon." He said smiling.

"Since your parents are dead I'll take you to the Dragon and Elf kingdom where no humans been except two.

"Zoey I will take care of you there I promise." Azamondius bowed.

"Can we stay here for a little bit before we go there?" I asked.

Azamondius nodded. "We will leave at nightfall." He meowed.

"And I will stay as my cat form till nightfall." He mewed.

"Alright. Can we go to the park? It's my favorite place and the best memory of my parents." I said.

Azamondius hesitated then nodded. When we got to the park I found little pieces of cars.

"This is the place where your parents crashed. They risked their life by crashing on to the car that was robbing the bank. They were brave you must be proud they are your parents." He mewed kindly. "Thanks. You are a wise cat." I said smiling.

We stayed at the park for a little then when we got home it was nightfall. Azamondius turned into a dragon and I rode on him on our way to the place where elves and dragons live.



May 28, 2020 13:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Kate Enoch
12:59 Jun 04, 2020

Cool.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Enoch
11:28 Jun 04, 2020

How did you come up with it?

Reply

Emily Li
12:34 Jun 04, 2020

Well it from a netflix series called the dragon prince and I got the name from there

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Enoch
05:51 Jun 04, 2020

I liked the cat... even though I couldn't say his name! :p

Reply

Emily Li
10:57 Jun 04, 2020

ok this is how you pronounce it (Aza-mon-dius) does it help?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Gravesande
10:26 May 31, 2020

Emily? I need to talk to you. Respond as soon as you can!

Reply

Raven Kim
17:22 Oct 27, 2020

Hey Daryl Just telling you Averys parents dont allow her to be on reedsy no more but I got a new account it's still Emily!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
16:37 Oct 31, 2020

Oh, okay. Thanks Emily! Also, could you tell her I need to talk to her?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daryl Gravesande
03:12 May 29, 2020

Amazingly underrated story! I can't believe you don't have like 60 more followers than you do! I heard you're a friend of Avery's. What's up? How you doin?

Reply

Emily Li
11:00 May 29, 2020

I'm doing well :) And yes me and Avery are real-life friends not only virtually

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
11:13 May 29, 2020

That's cool! It seems you are a good writer as well! Follow me and I'll follow you?

Reply

Emily Li
11:20 May 29, 2020

Sure! I'll also like your stories! I read one of your stories I like it!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
11:24 May 29, 2020

Which one?

Reply

Emily Li
11:34 May 29, 2020

Actually, I just finish all of your stories and I like them :)

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.