0 comments

Romance

Part One:

Vivian Winters dreamt about her wedding day for as long as she can remember. It was going to be the day she’d remember for the rest of her life. It was the day she’d play over and over again in her head. She’d tell her children about this at the breakfast table. Her husband Liam would look up from the paper while she recites their vows to the children. With only thirty minutes left until she met the man of her dreams at the altar, Vivian was more than nervous.

“Okay who’s ready for a wedding?” her father asked.

Vivian turned around and looked at him. His deep brown eyes began to become watery at the sight of his daughter. He pulled a handkerchief out of his black suit and dabbed his eyes. She was gorgeous, breathtaking even. His little girl had grown up right before his eyes.

“Wow. You look amazing,” he told her.

“Do you think so? I was kind of indecisive about this dress and then Lauren said to get it. So I did and now I’m having second thoughts about it,” she rambled.

Her father walked over to her and placed his strong hands on her shoulders. He sighed then pulled her into a hug. She pulled away from his embrace and smoothed out her ballroom dress. The fact that this dress even crossed her mind was something that was going to surprise Liam. The dress was obviously white, and it was the type of dress girls wore for a quince. It had a sweetheart neckline. A thin layer of fabric that had glitter over it covered her from the waist down. The top part was plain but that was okay with Vivian. Her natural chestnut brown dreadlocks were done into a tight neat bun, with a few that were curled to frame her face.

“I’m sure Liam is going to love it. Let’s just pray he doesn’t love it too much,” he joked.

“Dad,” she giggled playfully hitting his chest.

“In all seriousness, I’m happy for you. I remember when you used to put on your mother’s wedding dress and walk down the hallway with a bouquet of flowers from the garden. Your mother would pretend to be the minister and I be the groom. Remember that?”

“Yeah. It’s crazy how much I've changed since then.”

“I can’t believe I’m giving my daughter away.”

“Dad you’re not giving me away. I’ll come visit you and mom.”

“I know. But is there anything I can get you. Got about uh,” he glanced at his watch. “A little over twenty minutes until you have to walk down the aisle.”

“No I’m okay. I'm going to use the bathroom while I can.”

“Alright I’ll see you out there.”

She watched as her father walked out of the room and she took a deep breath.

“Alright let’s go.”

Vivian picked up the heavy dress and slowly walked out of the room. She didn’t want to trip over anything in her heels. Walking in heels were not her best strong suit. Walking down the long hallway she felt as if she was floating on air. In a matter of twenty minutes or so, she’d be marrying the man of her dreams. They’d be starting a life together. Have children and be happy with the life they have. She couldn’t wait. She just wanted to be married to him. They’d been inseparable for three years now. Nothing could possibly tear them apart.

“Are you sure no one’s coming?” she heard a familiar voice ask.

“I’m sure darling. Vivian is still getting ready. You know how she is.”

Those voices. She’d heard them before but who are the owners? She took a few more steps and turned the corner. Her face held shock and hurt as she watched Liam place a passionate kiss on her mother’s lips.

Part Two:

“Liam what do you think you’re doing?” Vivian cried.

The two broke apart and looked at Vivian. She looked at the two of them in disgust. She couldn’t believe them. Her mother knew how much she loved Liam. Liam knew how she loved him. So why? She couldn’t wrap her head around what she had just seen. Vivian turned away and stormed off back to the dressing room.

“Vivian wait please!” Liam called chasing after her.

She leaned against a wall holding her chest. Vivian could feel her heart breaking as the tears flowed down her face like a stream. Her perfect day was ruined. The man she loved just as much as she loved her father had kissed her mother. Her mother of all people.

“Vivian I can explain. What you saw-.”

“Save it Liam. I don’t want to hear your sorry excuses. You know I was kind of hoping that today would be the best day of my life. That you’d actually be the one for me. I wanted you as a husband. But today just showed me that maybe you and I aren’t meant to be.”

“Please Viv don’t do this to us. I love you. I only want you.”

“Oh yeah? The way you practically shoved your tongue down my mother’s throat doesn’t seem like it.”

“I promise you I’m all about you. We can still go out there and make this day perfect. This is just one of the many bumps in the road. Not every relationship is perfect.”

One of the many bumps? Is he intending on doing something like this again? No. She won’t even give him the chance. But she just needed to know one thing.

“How many times have you kissed her?”

“What?”

“Answer the question Liam.”

He sighed and ran a hand through his messy black hair. “It all started a year ago when you went on that business trip. I had to come get some files I’d accidentally left at your place. Your mother was there watering your plants. I had a long day at work, and she was there. She didn’t come onto me. I had kissed her. She even confessed to me that she doesn’t love your father Vivian. She’s been pretending for your sake.”

“So not only did you kiss her, you slept with her too?”

“Yes.”

The tears came once again, and she buried her face in her hands. Not only did they kiss, they had slept together. And here she was thinking that he actually loved her. Her mother was a traitor to her and her father.

“Vivian I’m so sorry. Is there anything I can do?”

“No there isn’t. Just leave me alone.”

She turned her back on him and walked towards the entrance. She pushed the door open knowing what had to be done. Everyone looked at her and began whispering to each other. The minister looked at her in confusion.

“What’s going on? Where’s Liam?” he asked.

She ignored him and picked up the microphone. She tapped it twice to get everyone’s attention. All eyes were immediately on her and she took a deep breath.

“Hello everyone. I’d first like to say thank you to everyone for taking the time to come celebrate what was supposed to be something special. Unfortunately, there will not be a wedding. I have concluded that Liam isn’t the one. It took me some time and I’m upset it took me until today to realize this. The reception is still on, so there’s no food is being wasted. Please enjoy yourselves. Thank you.”

Vivian stepped down from the platform and ran away from everyone. Her feet were aching, and the bottom of her dress was covered in dirt, but she didn’t care. Knowing that Liam was having an affair with her mother was the only thought that ran across her mind.

“Vivian!” a female voice called.

She turned around to see her best friend Lauren walk towards her. Her blonde curls moved as she did as she moved closer. Her satin red dress was torn on the side. Probably from looking for Vivian.

“Lauren what are you doing?” Vivian asked.

“Mind telling me what happened?” Lauren asked placing a hand on her hip.

“I rather not talk about it,” Vivian replied quietly.

Lauren huffed but nodded in understanding. She stood next to her heartbroken best friend. The sun was getting ready to set and the air was crisp and cool

“It doesn’t get easier does it?” Vivian asked softly.

“No,” Lauren admitted with no hesitation. “But you’ll be okay in due time. The man who truly deserves you is out there somewhere. Don’t give up so easily. It just going to take some time.”

She knew Lauren was right. Somewhere out there is Vivian’s dream man. The question is, where is he when she needs him most? 

July 24, 2020 20:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.