1 comment

Fiction Inspirational

Melanie pranced through the fields of hay that grow high this time of year. On occasion, she could see the overlook to the beautiful waterway she grew up beside. She could still picture the porch swing moving back and forth on a breezy spring morning. The tulips her mother planted had always begun to bloom during that time of year as she marveled at nature’s beauty. She reminisced on the days when she could walk on the old wooden boardwalk and feel the warm sun under her feet and the leftover sand between her toes. She used to look over the water as the sun would set, slowly fading behind the palm trees. In that moment, she couldn’t imagine herself anywhere else in the world but right there on that dock. But something would always bring her back to reality, just like it did today. On this particular sunny afternoon, she reflected on the life she once knew in the town that was loved by so many. Now, it was simply a run-down area that was deserted during the hurricane over ten years ago. Life had changed remarkably for Melanie since everything had happened. She turned her pain into happiness, her hate into love. But each passing day means that much longer since she had spoken to either of them. The two people in this world that promised to love her until the end of time had destroyed any chance they had at a life with her in it. Funny, isn’t it? How you don’t realize what you have until it’s all gone. How even the slightest moment of happiness can fuel our joy for so long. But as soon that spark is gone, we are left with the questions on what to do next. What is going to supply that joy? More importantly, who? Melanie had pondered on that one word for years- who. Who was going to fulfill her needs and wants in this life? Who was going to tare care of her when she didn’t even feel like taking care of herself? But one day, Melanie realized who. She was. She was going to find that strength inside of herself to fight when times were tough. She was going to rid herself of the sorrows because she realized that she didn’t need anyone to stand in front of her Goliath for her. She could face him all by herself. And although the path to this life-changing revelation was not an easy one, she persisted. She got herself to where she is today without the help of those people who thought she couldn’t even make it out of the front door alone. But she did, and she climbed over mountains and through valleys to prove she had the strength. Because, you see, Melanie learned a long time ago that we have to do what makes us happy in this life. After all, we do only have one shot at it. One go around in this crazy adventure. And Melanie was the first to discover that. Although this life throws everyone ups and downs, it all ends up being worth it in the end. Have you never seen a Hallmark movie? The story always has a happy ending. Life’s the same way, right? It all depends on how you look at it. Many would say that a short life ending in a car accident or cancer, how is that a happy ending? Melanie realized that it’s not how you leave this world or even how long you’ve been here, it’s about what you leave behind and the memories you created along the way. You see, she walks through this field on this day every single year to remind herself where she came from- to remind herself that she can do whatever is in her heart. It’s a beautiful metaphor, you know. We tend to go back to the places that broke us to get perspective on the life we have now. It sounds ridiculous to say, but Melanie figured it out. If you return to the place that brought you so much pain, you realize that you can get through whatever it is you’re going through now, and you can find that inspiration to keep moving, to keep pushing. Melanie has not had an easy road. She’s been tattered and torn more than most would like to believe. She was forced to stand up and say she had enough. If she hadn’t, she wouldn’t have survived. That’s the grueling truth of this world. You must either give in or push until absolutely everything you have is gone. Because life doesn’t take a half done job; you either try or you throw in the towel. Although she has conquered obstacles many would think is mundane, they took everything she had. Because what’s simple and monotonous to one, may be the most intense experience of another’s life. We compare the abilities of different humans who were fundamentally built to be able to withstand different things. But rather than rejoicing for those who made it over the hurdle, we complain that they didn’t get over it fast enough. After Melanie came to the realization that she isn’t racing anyone in this life, she was able to focus her full attention on ensuring she made it over the next hurdle, no matter the amount of time it would take her to cross it. And she has continued on her journey ever since, patiently awaiting the day when it is finally her turn to be happy again. Each night, she lays in her bed dreaming about how far she’s come. She knows it‘s still a long road ahead, but she’s thankful for the strength she has to continue. However one day, Melanie is going to wake up in the exact place she wants to be, surrounded by the people she loves. But until then, she keeps coming back to this hay field and regaining her perspective on life because she believes that she’ll make it. But it’s up to her to decide how bad she wants her perfectly ever after.

June 15, 2021 05:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kate Enoch
12:20 Jun 24, 2021

I liked your description, but I must say I felt a bit isolated from the character. It felt like less of a story and more of an allegory. But, hey, if that's what you were going for, you nailed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.