0 comments

General

The smell of cooking wafted through the house, the log fire was casting a warmth around the lounge, a bottle of red wine sat on the sideboard uncorked and airing. I closed the front door behind me shutting out the cold snowy air. I removed my coat and boots and hung them on the hook besides the front door. 

I called out to my mom as I entered the lounge, she appeared from the kitchen apron tied around her waste, a glass of gin in one hand and the warmest smile on her face. She greeted me with a kiss. "Is there anything I can do to help", I ask. 

"Yes, you can round up your siblings and tell them dinner will be ready in 10 minutes, they need to clean up and get to the table"." Sure Mom" I reply, "just as soon as I've had a taste of that delicious looking bird". 

My mom had taken the Turkey out of the oven and had set it on the kitchen counter to rest. I lifted the cloth covering it and was about to tear a piece off when mom swatted my hand away. "Leave that be you cheeky beggar" she said with a grin. I smiled at her and quickly grabbed a piece and shoved it in my mouth. It tasted divine as it melted in my mouth. "Wow mom I think you have surpassed yourself this time". 

She shooed me out the kitchen and I headed to the snug to see if I could track down my brother and sister. 

I found my brother playing Fortnite on the Xbox, the 65-inch TV on the wall transformed into a kill or be killed death arena. He had headphones on and didn't hear me enter the room behind him. 

I leant behind the sofa and yanked the TV power cable out the wall. My brother Cody exploded in an outburst of expletives which I wont repeat here, just in case you are reading this before 9'oclock. He threw his headset off and spun around to glare at me. "Brad what the heck did you do that for you Douche!!"He then threw his headset at me. I ducked just in time as they whizzed over the top of my head and smashed into the framed photo on the wall of our dad. Mom came running in to see what all the noise was about. "Boys what have you done"! She picked up the shattered frame off the floor. The photo was one of our dad wearing his uniform, he was an SGT in the marine Core, he had gone MIA in Iraq 3 years ago. Mom cradled the shattered photo in her arms. We both lowered our gazes to the floor, "sorry Mom, it's ok, it's just the frame that's damaged I can get that replaced". She left the room not casting a glance at either of us. "You idiot" I snarled at Cody, "way to go to upset mom on Thanksgiving". 


I found my sister in her room making Tik Tock videos, she really didn't see how ridiculous she looked whilst making them. "Dinners up Gracie" I said. "Oh Brad you ruined my video, now I'm gonna have to shoot it again". Well not now you ain't! Dinners up" I said to her,trying to sound all stern. She rolled her eyes and put her phone on charge. 

We both walked to the dining room where the rest of the family now gathered. Mom, Cody, Gracie, Nana and Pops and Uncle Davey. As always a table place was made up for our dad with a shot of finest Malt in a glass.

Mom asked everyone to take their seats and to raise their glasses in a toast. 

She gave her usual speech, and we all raised our glasses towards our dads place. Thanksgiving just wasn't the same without him. "Brad will you do the honours of carving please" Mom asked . "Sure Mom" I replied, I grabbed the knife and was about to start carving when there was a knock at the door. 

"Well, who could that be?"Mom said.She removed her napkin and wandered off to answer the door Gin glass in hand. 

Several seconds later we heard the shattering of glass and a shriek which could only have come from Mom. 

I went rushing out to the front door and as I got there my eyes didn't believe what they were seeing, cradling Mom in his arms on the floor was Dad! I tried to speak but suddenly my throat felt like I had swallowed a brick. 

Dad was ALIVE! I couldn't believe what I was seeing, he was here, he looked a bit rough and his beard was all bushy, he looked up at me and with tears streaming down his face, "Brad Son I'm sorry" I dropped to my knees tears welling in my eyes, "Dad, Dad I cant believe it's you, where have you been" I said. The three of us embraced and by this time everyone else had gathered around us, gasps of joy and tears erupting around me. When Dad was finally able to stand and talk, we couldn't believe his tale. He said he had been held captive by insurgents in Iraq, however he had been rescued and smuggled out by some rebels and taken to the embassy. He didn't want the officials to alert us that he had been found. He wanted to surprise us for Thanksgiving, and boy did he succeed. I've not seen Mom smile so much since Dad went missing, Gracie was besides herself with happiness. 

Now all seated back at the table, with Dad now taking up his space, we all raised our glasses and gave Thanks for his safe return.

November 29, 2019 22:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.