1 comment

General

It was a rainy day in Seattle, it’s always a rainy day here. But the day just felt like a day to stay in a snuggle with a book. I go over to my bookshelf and look through the many books sitting on several shelves in front of me, so many choices to choose from. But as I continue to look at all the covers of the books, I’ve realized that I’ve already read these books numerous times, nothing seemed to interest me, I am overdue to buy some more books anyway, so might as well make my non busy day an adventure to the bookstore. 

I grab my rain coat and slid on my rubber boats, ready to conquer the heavy rain. I grab my keys and head for the door to my apartment. The rain made downtown Seattle look beautiful, the tall buildings with the rain droppings sliding down the glass, it was picture perfect. But my mind was on which book I was going to purchase at the bookstore. 

Though it had been raining all day, Seattle always stays busy, it was almost six o’clock on a Tuesday night and this place is always running on energy, I love this Seattle. I have since I moved here two years ago to pursue my dream of becoming an author, it’s hard, I’m not going to lie, but whatever I put my mind to I always try my hardest to get that idea to come to life until there is no way I can’t anymore. I am a driven person, if I want something I try to get it.

Once I arrived at the bookstore and parked in the lot next to the building, where there was no other cars parked, I got so excited to get a new book, I haven’t read any new books in a while. I opened my car door and ran through the rain until I was inside the dry and warm building, I’ve only been here one other time almost a year ago. I’ve been really busy and never have much time to myself, but today was different and I deserved a new book to read. 

“Hello dear” I heard the little old lady said to me once she heard the bell above my head ring when I opened the door to the store.

“Hello” I say softly, pushing off my hood and wiping my wet books on the mat to get them dry.

“Is there anything I can help you with?” The lady offered.

“No thank you, I’m just going to look around,”I replied.

“Ok then, let me know if you need any help dear” she said. I nodded my head thanking her for her help. There were so many shelves and aisles of books waiting for my attention. Thousands and thousands of books to choose from, but I need to narrow down my options so I won’t be here all day, also they close at seven so I don’t have much time left to wander around and bother this little old lady behind the counter.

Horror, thriller, romance, fiction, so many options to choose from, but I’m a softy for romance, so that one genre will be perfect for me, I am in the romance mood. I go to the romance selections and see what they have. I like reading the back of the books to get a glimpse on what the book may be about, so I can understand it and see if I like it or not. I grab five books and go sit down at the table at the end of the aisle. 

The first book I came across didn't really catch my eye, or gather any of my attention all that much. So I set it to the side and grabbed the next book in my pile. It had a better understanding but it still wasn’t for me, not what I was looking for, then the third book came along, and I fell in love with the whole summary story, all my attention went into wanting to find out more about the plot. A boy meets girl, but there is a dark and twisted plot twist that is happening but I don’t know what it is, that just made me want to read it right then and there and see what the secret is. I love mystery and love all in one together.

 I have also never heard of this author before, it could be a new favorite, I have a lot of favorite authors, there are so many talented people in the world, I hope one day to become one of them, and have other younger people who love to read look up to me. This book just really looks so interesting, it’s called The Story Of How You and Me, Became Us, it sounds romantic but this mysterious plot has me second guessing myself, I can’t wait to dive in.

I gather up the other four books and put them back in their places and go to the counter to pay for my book. 

“Is that all tonight dear?” The lady scanned my book.

“Yeah that’s all thanks” I pull out my credit card.

“It’s $17.53, dear” I hand her my card and she puts it into a bag along with my receipt. “Enjoy” she smiles and I thanked her. I ran through the rain to my car and again when I got back home to my cozy apartment. The rain is soothing and all, but being out in it is just no fun.

I made a cup of tea and some cookies after I got home and showered and put some sweatpants on and got cozy with my new book, I was so excited to read it. I opened and began diving into the story, I couldn’t put it down every page was better than the last, it kept me on my toes.

And let me say the plot twist shocked me.


January 20, 2020 06:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Fazila KP
03:19 Jan 30, 2020

I liked the story. There were some spelling mistakes in it, other than that it was good. The person who was purchasing the book had to go to the self-help aisle to choose the book. So I was wondering why the character got romance books. I am curious about that decision. Keep on writing!! great start!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.