All that glitters is not gold

Written in response to: Write a story that includes someone saying, “Be careful what you wish for.”... view prompt

1 comment

Contemporary Fiction High School

Ella, Ella,Ella! This name echoed through the open widows. At first, it was like a flash of light and the next minute, it seemed as a smoke coming out from a burning bush. Ella has always been a fun-to-be with kind of lady. Her dress sense, her sense of humor and her ability to lighten up moods is second to none. High school life has really eaten deep into her that she always feel free to share her thoughts with people around her. I really don't know the best adjective to describe Ella when it comes to expressing herself. She could go on and on to talk about things that happened to her and how they all happened. Years after years, Ella finished high school and grew into a full grown lady. During her school days, she had a close friend, Imma, both had good relationship and wanted to keep it till death comes in-between them. Things turned out differently in their 3rd year in school. Imma left the school and relocated to Canada. Ella felt the absence of her dear friend but kept on pushing and thank God for technology. Both kept in touch through social media and on phone calls until there was a bridge in communication. Ella couldn't reach her friend again and same with Imma. After a few years, Ella met a young man by name, Andy. Andy is tall, fair, good-looking and above all, rich. His encounter with Ella was more like a divine connection so, Ella thought. She has always imagined herself getting married to a very rich man and when her path crossed with Andy, she did everything within her reach to keep the relationship sailing. To Ella, Andy was her heartbeat and nothing anyone would say would change her perception. After six months of dating Andy, he proposed and yes! The big wedding was planned and Ella had her dream wedding. Although, she felt sad that her best friend, Imma was not present on her special day, she hoped to reconnect with her someday. After the wedding, Ella became a wife and Andy, her husband. Days passed ,weeks passed, months turned into years and God blessed them with a set of twins. A boy and a girl. They were both named after their parents. Life was sweet but along the line, Ella began to notice changes. Andy began to show his real identity. He was a monster, a woman beater, and a chronic drunkard. Ella who felt she was hallucinating, didn't want to call in third party because to her, Andy is the air she breathes and as such, won't hurt a fly. It dawn on her when Andy's adulterous lifestyle became so obvious that he brought in different women to the house, locked her out with the children and when he was done with his mistresses, he would ask her to go clean up the room and lay the sheet properly. Ayo, his son was bittered about his father's ill treatment on him as a son and on his mother and sister. But this didn't move Andy. On one fateful afternoon, Andy had dealt with Ella to a point that she couldn't scream, cry or even sob. Her children helplessly laid by her side and tried carrying her to clean her up. 'Greeee, greeee, her phone rang. Guess who? Imma! Hello! Hello! Imma screamed. She couldn't pick her calls and her children picked but couldn't talk without their mother's permission. Thanks to their name who came back and Ego, her daughter ran out to call her to come help attend to her mother. She quickly rushed in, and carried Ella straight to the hospital. After examining her, it was discovered that Ella has lost her baby. She was three weeks gone before the incident. This has happened in many occasions that she ends up losing her baby as a result of endless beatings. For two weeks, Andy didn't show up at the hospital and bills were meant to be paid. Ella couldn't find means of settling the bills and remained in the hospital with the kids for close to a month before her neighbors helped in raising money to settle her hospital bills. When she returned, Andy had brought in another woman and this time, a lady way older than her but what would she do? As usual, she kept mute and continued tolerating Andy's adulterous lifestyle.

A month later, her phone rang again. This time, she was sane to pick and talk with the caller. It was Imma.

Imma: Hello

Ella: Hello

Imma: Hello it's me Imma

Ella: Oh! My good friend! You have forgotten about me. How have you been?

Imma: I have been fine and I know you are. I called sometime ago but no answer and neither was the missed call returned so I said I would try again.

Ella: Oh dear, sorry about that.

Imma: It's ok. Wow! I saw your post on Facebook, you are now married with kids... you are really enjoying. The big house, the luxury cars and to crown it all, you married a rich handsome guy.

Aww my friend, see how lucky you are Ella. My dear, I have been searching for true love and see how God has buttered your bread. I just wished I'm you. Married to a rich handsome and responsible guy. I have had series of unfortunate relationships. But see how fresh you are on your new post. May be I should come to Nigeria and find my own. I have really missed you, our chit chat and our gossips. Ella you are so lucky to have found this handsome man. Do you know I couldn't recognize you if not that it was your name I saw on the account. Your children are grown up. They twins. You really have done well for yourself. I just wished I have a man like your husband in my life. Hello, hello....

Ella: Imma, it's enough! You have been talking for so long. Imma, "be careful of what you wish for". You see this life, not all that glitters is gold.

Social media isn't real life.

Don't wish to be me for the life I'm living now, I don't wish it for even my enemy.

Imma: Poor Ella, what must have eaten you up to speak in a devasting tone. Oh dear friend. Do not worry everything will be fine. I will speak to you again.

Ella ended the call and tears rolled down her eyes.

May 24, 2024 20:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Abigail Slimzy
21:06 May 24, 2024

Behind the mask.... indeed not all that glitters is gold. Be careful of what you wish....

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.