Nancy

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story about miscommunication.... view prompt

0 comments

General

The arms of clock joined together to show the time for the third time in the deadly hours of the City hospital. In the CCU ward everybody was ready to sleep either temporarily or permanently. Nancy of the latter category. That was the fifth day in the CCU ward for Nancy. She was a familiar patient among the visiting doctors and nurses. They almost concluded the poor prognosis of the disease. She was getting palliative care not going to be recovered, not going to be cured, not going to be returned anywhere else. They were just waiting for the guy who contacted the doctors over phone every now and then and transacted money for the treatment through online and witnessed the patient’s improvement through webcam.


Nancy, a single mother of Bharath, was now lying almost dead amidst of life supporting equipments. All of her bodily functions had stopped except her consciousness. She was nearly lifeless and pale. The rise and fall of her chest announced that she was breathing and showed that she was still holding life.


Yes, she was nursing the last hours of her life  not in attachment to the life but to feel the presence of her dear son, Bharath. Though she was dying,her mind was very active.



 No one could guess that she was reliving the entire life scenario of her life and recollecting the particular moment that happened 25 years ago. 


 When the arms of clock joined together for the third time after twelve in the midnight, the newborn was placed in her arms. The delicate tenderness of the newborn, touched her heart. That was a new feeling because, as a nurse in profession, she had taken many newborn in her arms. But now she felt something strange like a connectivity of souls. A sudden surge of new bondage that could not be explained but she liked the moment and wanted to be in that feel. When she left the baby between the arms of the mother, she would not have known that she was going to live with him all through her life. With no mind to leave she left the ward.


 The next day when she returned to the duty, there was abnormal situation in the small nursing home. The only doctor in the nursing home and few nurses were attending the mother of the newborn. She was profusely bleeding. It was severe post delivery hemorrhage. Nothing could stop her from dying. The mother breathed last, leaving the new born in the arms of Nancy. 


 Nancy felt deep for the mother’s untimely death and she picked up the newborn with the determination not to leave it to someone’s care. It seemed as if she felt little bit possessiveness over the newborn. As there was no one to contact, no one to claim as relation to the mother, to handover the dead mother and live newborn, Nancy did funeral to the mother. When the management of the nursing home decided to leave the new born in the orphanage, she adopted the newborn hereafter, we may name him Bharath.She didn’t even consult her parents. She took the baby in her arms and placed it on her bosom to give all the comforts of a mother. 


Since theirs was a conservative Indian family, her parents vehemently opposed her decision to grow up the child and remain as a spinster, Her parents exploded in anger but she was strong in her decision. 

None was ready to marry her with an adopted child and she also did not worry about her marriage. The anger of her parents gradually subsided as Bharath was growing extraordinarily affectionate and good guy. He was very studious and well versed in many fields apart from studies. His gentle politeness attracted the parents of Nancy. Now a days they didn’t worry much about their daughter’s life. They enjoyed the presence of Bharath and accepted him as their grandson.

As a graduate from reputed Indian Institute of Technology with records of his talents and skill, he got placement in an MNC with high remuneration. Got married a beautiful girl of his mother’s choice.

The days were very nice to Nancy in the company of Bharath. She lived a happy life as a mother of responsible and affectionate son. Life granted every sort happiness and peace to her eventhough she missed her married life. She enjoyed everything fine in the world. Everything fine of the world was given to her by the son.

The days rolled on. When she felt a mass on her breast, she did not care much, she did not worry. She was contented about her life. She underwent treatment. She overcame the disease first. Now it was the turn of the disease.

 A very good treatment was given to her by her son but she had no will to live as she felt that she had no purpose to continue her life. She was contented of what was given to her by life.

After her parents’ death when Bharath went abroad, she felt darkness around her as if somebody had plucked the light of her life. She tried to encourage her in engaging in the service activities but nothing could give her peace.

 The absence of Bharath affected her much.She was soaked in loneliness and felt purposeless in life for the first time. When she was diagnosed with cancer, with poor prognosis, she was not much shocked. She was mentally ready to face the challenges with boldness. But the disease beat her courage. 

The hospital management was waiting for Bharath, to handover Nancy and settle the pending bills. There was deep peace in her face. She was ready to hug death.


When her consciousness came back, she felt light gentle affectionate touch. She was sure that it was Bharath. She opened her eyelids by accumulating all her strength. There was Bharath with his wife and son. She could see tears rolled down from the two pairs of eyes.


 She wanted to deliver the truth that she didn’t give birth to Bharath and she is not the one who bore him in her womb. Again with all strength of her consciousness, she tried to part her lips. But time did wait for her. She breathed last. Ignorance is bliss. Bharath was weeping by falling on the lifeless feet of Nancy, the one who gave him life.

Story by

Muthamakkai Rajeswari

March 20, 2020 06:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.