13 comments

Science Fiction Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Ten days ago…the apocalypse alarms sounded, signaling for everyone to run. A creature of nightmares devoured my father that day. Then he attacked other people. 


They were like mindless zombies but with more...brains? 


Our farms were the breeding grounds. And we were the food.


They ranged color’s, each being more deadly than the last. Black, Orange, And Red. These were what we called Neo-world parasites. Nobody knew where they had come from or why they quickly evolved. 


The parasites took over every single living thing. Even plants! 


Humanity didn’t have any more hopes until I found four others who were survivors.


Shake, The scientist. Luv, the doctor. James, the hunter. Hunter, the average teenage boy. 


And then there’s me!


Brodie. Just an average teenage jock. (An athlete of all sports except for golf, Because golf SUCKS!)


It’s currently day 11 of the Neo-Parasite apocalypse, and the four of us were cramped in a boarded up/guarded tree house. Our guns were hanging on the wall along with James’s laser sniper. 


Shake was a scientist who specially worked with viruses and diseases. He was currently dissecting a bug-like-beetle-monster-parasite. I was watching from a distance because of the black and purple blood and the occasional green goo that splurted out of its gut. He quickly found that once the parasite was dead, it could no longer infect other things. Although it couldn’t infect, it still was majorly disgusting. He wore gloves, thank god. 


“Yo! Brodie!” Luv called out beside the tree trunk.

I sneakily avoided the beetle thing and Shake’s disgustingness, “Coming!”


I shivered at the sight of the dead parasite. Oh, and these parasites were two, sometimes three times our size! Luckily this one was the size of a human newborn baby. 


Luv, handed me the keys to the ‘Apoca Jeep. 


“We’re headed to Kigorson Labs. Your turn to drive.”

“But…My dad. He’s there! I don’t want to see him…as one of the parasites.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE HUMAN PARASITES!? Those are freaking terrifying.”

“Yeah yeah. Come on you wuss. Want to stay here ALONE!?”

“N-No…”

“Glad you’re warming up to me. Now, let’s go!”


Hunter and James stuck their heads out and then their tongues like dogs. No one was paying attention to me driving when I came to a jolting stop. For an injured dog. Everyone complained that their heads hurt from getting hit against the bars. I was the only one who was being safe. I looked at the German Shepard and picked him up. 


“C’mon boy!”

“CAREFUL BRODIE!”

“Oh what now?”

“He could be a parasite!”

“Does he look like a deformed monstrosity? No. No, he doesn’t. We’re keeping him.”

“I can patch him up!” Luv volunteered,

“Now let’s get going.” She added again.


The drive to my father’s lab was a loud and complaining one. 


Once we arrived, we snuck inside. Quietly as possible since the parasites had super hearing. Shake stepped on a twig which made a loud SNAP noise. Thankfully there wasn’t anything in sight. Just an empty lab. Wrecked. Papers were scattered across the floor, pictures hanging off the walls, syringes and test tube bottles were on the counters. 


We made our way to my father’s office. He wasn’t there, thank goodness. I didn’t want to see what the parasites had done to him. 


I ransacked through his filing cabinet and found some important documents. I handed them to Shake, he sped read through them. But that’s when…


I saw the pictures.


They were horrifying. Beatles bigger than humans, Fish that could breathe air, and pets that were terrifying. In the background in one of the pictures I saw my dad’s office door hanging open, him sitting in a chair. I looked away from the picture to my father’s chair. 


And that’s when I looked in the picture and saw a syringe full to the brim with green goo. The same one that looked like the substance that came out of the beetle parasite…


To be continued…

April 05, 2024 17:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Carol Banks
14:33 May 06, 2024

Great Story! I have A Question about your name Maine as in Maryland Massachusetts? I like it!!! That has got a ring to It! Read my newest story. Join (probably?) the world's largest writing contest. Flex those creative muscles with weekly writing prompts at blog.reedsy.com

Reply

Idk Lol
14:38 May 06, 2024

idk I chose my name, I thought it was cool 😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Idk Lol
14:43 May 06, 2024

Btw who are you? And thanks for complimenting my story :)

Reply

Carol Banks
14:44 May 06, 2024

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Idk Lol
14:44 May 06, 2024

thanks :)

Reply

Carol Banks
14:37 May 07, 2024

Hello, Maine Maryland Massachusetts! Haha, that's a little inside joke. I was wondering again, why do you sometimes care? I am glad to see you're doing better!!!!!!

Reply

Idk Lol
14:47 May 07, 2024

I only care if something is important. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Tyler Carson
14:21 Apr 16, 2024

I can’t read but this is probably good

Reply

Idk Lol
14:45 Apr 16, 2024

oh. thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tyler Carson
15:05 Apr 16, 2024

Ok i read it it’s great it’s like when my dad used to play the last of us

Reply

Idk Lol
15:05 Apr 16, 2024

thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.